x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

need some help on my HP 620lx

1 2
Dutchie
Dutchie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 8:31 AM
#

Dear All,

I really need some help here. Please see my earlier post on connecting a Dell truemobile pcmcia on my HP 620 lx.
I haven't succeed in doing so.

But since I tried to install the drivers my device is acting strange:

First, if I open up my Windows it is asking if I would like to let the pcmcia working on my battery. This message is coming up although the pcmcia card is not on my device.

Second, I can not open the "control panel". If I double click the buttom in the start menu. I can see that it is trying to open up but it closes immediately before the screen of the control panel is opened. Maybe it is because I have divided the internal memory to much to storage side by moving the slicer too much to the left. But now that I can not reach the control panel, I'm not able to redivide the interal memory.
All my other programs, like word and excel, are working like nothing is going on.

I really do not know what I have done wrong. I have my HP shortly.

Can someone give me some advice. I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance,

Greetings, Rob
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 9:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you dragged the slider all the way to the left and left no room for program memory then you could be out of memory, try deleting anthing from \windows\startup and soft resetting. That may free enough RAM to get you into the control panel.

Otherwise, hard reset would be a faster way to get you going again if it is an option for you.
 Top of the page
Dutchie
Dutchie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 9:42 AM
#
Hi Chris,

Thanks for reacting!

I know what a soft reset is, but how do I execute a hard reset!!

In the /windows/startup there are only 2 files: bsquare find 24k and hpc view icon also 24k. So that will not give me much space.

Rob

Edited by Dutchie 2007-10-07 9:45 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 9:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's not deleting the files, the shortcuts are loading the programs into RAM at boot time, if you prevent them from loading at startup, you will have more free RAM (but we aren't talking much)
Preventing load on startup: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0018.asp
Hard Reset: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0034.asp
 Top of the page
Dutchie
Dutchie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 10:08 AM
#
Well after deleting the 2 files in the startup, I still can not open my control panel. I guess the only way for me, will be the hard reset.
But though I have this device shortly, I do not know which programs are will be on it after the hard reset. For me the link on hard resetting is not clear about it.
The only thing I personally have installed are SP1 and NPI. And of course I have tried to install the drivers for the dell truemobile pcmcia.

Does I have to install after hard reset the programs explorer, word, excel etc. Or are these the core programs of the device and as so part of the ROM.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 10:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you soft reset after deleting the startup shortcuts?

As to the other question, read the second paragraph under "what is a hard reset?"
 Top of the page
Dutchie
Dutchie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 10:27 AM
#
Yes, I reseted after deleting the shortcuts! If I open the device it still gives me a welcome message with the question if I want to let the pc-card run on the battery, although there is no card connected to the device.

I guess the only thing that rests me, is to hard reset my device, don't you think so?
Thanks for the hint in the second paragraph. I overlooked it! I jumped to quickly to the How to preform a hard reset.
In my case since I have the device shortly, I think that after reseting I will only loss SP1 and NPI and the drivers of the pcmcia.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 10:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The battery message will come up for CF cards as well as PC Cards.

If you have all your data backed up a hard reset is not going to lose you anything. You will need to reinstall the three things you mentioned.
 Top of the page
Dutchie
Dutchie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 10:57 AM
#
Well, I have executed the hard reset. Still 10 minutes to go as mentioned in the white papers.

The strange thing from the message was, that it came up without a pc card was connected to my device!!.
I would find it normal if it would come up when I insert the card in my device.
 Top of the page
Dutchie
Dutchie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 11:21 AM
#
Chris, thks.

It worked well, I can reach the control panel. The device immediately gave me the message that the coin battery is low. So I have to replace it before I proceed. Will get a new one tomorrow.

Again many thanks and I think I will try to install another pcmcia than the dell truemobile 1150. I'm not sure about the drivers package.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 4:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I had a similar problem a long time ago when I tried to install a Prism driver for my Linksys card. Only a hard reset cured that problem. But the TrueMobile is an Agere-based card, isn't it?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 8:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

iirc one of the dells is agere the other is prism. yes, 1150 is agere.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-08 6:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Facinating stuff, I've never seem or heard of power prompts for phantom PCMCIA cards before.

If anyone has a handle on that crazyness, answers on a postcard!

Good luck with the Dell.
 Top of the page
Dutchie
Dutchie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-08 2:45 PM
#
Yes, the Dell truemobile 1150 is known as the OEM version of the ORINOCO card. The drivers provided on the HPCfactor site are the drivers for a Orinco card.

Does anyone have experience with installing the Dell card and are the drivers as provided by the site correct???

Maybe because I'm new with the HP 620 lx, I have to try another pcmcia card. Is it possible to install several pcmcia cards??

I have several cards, can anybody advice me which to choose if I prefer a smooth installation?
- Dell truemobile 1150
- avaya ETS silver
- Cisco aironet 340 [11b] & aironet (air-cb21ag-e-k9) [11 a/b/g]
- senao nl-2511 CD plus ext2
- Netgear MA401
- sybol spectrum 24 (but that's a fhss not dsss)
- agere silver
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-08 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

on a 620lx, i've used prism (senao would be prism)

forget the avaya and the symbol. the rest is agere based except cisco, they have ce 2.0. drivers too.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8