x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Do you want a Mozilla to be ported to H/PC?

1 2
Do you want a Mozilla to be ported to H/PC?
OptionResults
I want an all new Mozilla compatible browser19 Votes - [67.86%]
19 Votes [67.86%]
I want Mozilla to be ported for my H/PC.8 Votes - [28.57%]
8 Votes [28.57%]
Hey, I'm using default Internet Explorer, and seems fine with me!0 Votes - [0%]
Um.. what's Mozilla again?1 Votes - [3.57%]
1 Votes [3.57%]
Don't really need a browser.0 Votes - [0%]
I'm interested, but how?0 Votes - [0%]

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2004-10-15 4:41 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Do you want to use the default browser for your H/PC, or do you want a Mozilla, or have an all new Mozilla compatible browser?
 Top of the page
Crispy
Crispy Page Icon Posted 2004-10-15 12:39 PM
#
Anything that's an alternative to IE would be great!
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2004-10-15 2:10 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Is this just a random thought turned to a question, or is this a survey for a project?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2004-10-15 7:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Um.. this isn't a random thought, but rather a poll I put out because I wanted what people are thinking at the "what we all need is a new web browser" thread.

Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2004-10-15 7:57 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Oh ok, just didnt want to get to excited that some one was offically going to port one
 Top of the page
SFT Page Icon Posted 2004-10-18 12:06 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Porting or rewriting Mozilla for CE: which is simpler? smaller? quicker to user? The one that fits those criteria is the one I'd vote for.
thanks for pursuing this. I'm a mozilla-only Win XP user...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-10-20 3:45 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Can I suggest you look at the Minimo project, specifically the hardware requirements for it?

I can't help but feel that this is a gargantuan task that you are proposing that, ultimately, will struggle on HPC hardware.

Personally, I think Mozilla is too heavy for use on the HPC platforms, particularly the less powerful stuff, but I would dearly love to be proved wrong
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2004-10-20 5:07 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, I saw the Minimo project, but it's for ARM Processors right? Hmm... ARM somehow means something heavy (high load) to me.... but I might be wrong
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-10-20 5:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

From what I've seen on the Minimo site, it seems that it's based on the SeaMonkey version of Mozilla, which is the standard suite (the one currently at version 1.7.3). This sounds like taking a very heavy suite and slimming it down. Firefox may be already more efficient. Hard to tell, of course. I figure it's possible to write an efficient modern browser for slow-CPU machines, since Opera does a decent job of that.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-10-21 7:28 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Opera is a good example of what can be done: the Psion port was originally kicked off by an enthusiast working alone, and it ultimately made it into both the official suite of opera products and also the Psion distribution. Keith ended up being employed by Opera to write the product!

There's an article containing insight into how the port was planned, and implemented, on the symbian website. A good read.

Comparatively speaking, we've got less to do as the WinCE environment is close to Win32, plus there's no restrictions on globals like there are in epoc...

I didn't realise Minimo was based on the old rendering engine... Firefox should definitely be a step in the right direction then
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-24 11:22 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

/moved/

It was decided that polls weren't needed in Tech support.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-10-24 3:52 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Exactly what I was talking about in the "We need a new web browser" thread. Mozilla is open source. If we all want to do it, then it can be done. The hpc platform is a powerful one, with 32 bit processors. There are only small limits, and I can definitely see firefox being ported to it. As a user of the Linux operating system for some time, I have seen just how quickly things can be done as long as people are willing to give some of their own time to get what they want. In Linux, you aren't a consumer, you are a developer. Anything that you don't find out there, you make yourself and help others. It would be great to see open source development going into the hpc platform. I'm willing to do the work when i learn to program, who else is with me?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2004-10-27 8:56 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, if we all join what we can do, Mozilla can be ported! I am pretty experienced with Perl... but C language, hmm I don't know... But they're all alike I am quite interested, but I must first learn how to port it to H/PC cpus.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-10-27 7:47 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

FINALLY someone goes with what I was saying. In a group, even as small as 5, things can be done very quickly, even porting mozilla/firefox. All I need is a bit of time, and I will live up to my account name.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2004-10-27 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Not sure what i can do to help since i haven't a clue about any programming, but i will help in anyway i can.....!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 16