x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows CE on a PSP?

1 2
Z.D.E.T. Page Icon Posted 2007-10-17 10:10 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Is it even possible? I think the CPU might limit it, but I was wondering about the wonderful publics thoughts.

But if the first idea was a dumb one (I seem to get alot of those), what about a Windows CE portal written in HTML or Visual C++?

What do YOU think?
 Top of the page
kitor Page Icon Posted 2007-10-18 2:11 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I hope it's possible, byt somebody must write ARM architecture emulator for it:

BTW: PSP has got touchscreen? I really don't know
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-10-18 4:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Doesn't one of those brands of game console have an embedded version of CE in it already?
 Top of the page
UncleSporky Page Icon Posted 2007-10-18 6:14 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2007-10-18 4:40 AM

Doesn't one of those brands of game console have an embedded version of CE in it already?
Not the major handhelds (PSP and DS). Minor things like Gizmondo, I have no idea.

kitor, the PSP doesn't have a touchscreen, so yeah, it'd be fairly pointless. The DS is the one with two screens and the lower one is a touch screen, but it's also a lot less powerful than the PSP.

PSP:
Processor is a MIPS R4000 running at 333 MHz
32 MB RAM

DS:
Main processor is an ARM 9 running at 67 MHz
Other (GBA) processor is an ARM 7 running at 33 MHz
4 MB RAM

I have a homebrewed DS with lots of good software already, it sort of replaces my 720 in most functionality. MP3s, ebooks/text, images/video, web browsing, the whole nine yards. CE is also pretty unnecessary on the PSP as it natively has a lot of CE-like media functions.

Googling came up with this, which is Windows 95/98 on a PSP, further reducing the need for CE. If you really want it on there, I found this in a forum which is supposedly a CE portal on PSP. No idea if/how it works.

Edited by UncleSporky 2007-10-18 6:16 AM
 Top of the page
Z.D.E.T. Page Icon Posted 2007-10-18 10:42 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

UncleSpooky:

The link for the .zip on the PSP3D link is dead.

But for the Windows 95/98, I've heard the only limitation is that the mouse is a little glitchy and having no keyboard is a downside. (the onscreen keyboard is difficult to use due to the glitchy mouse.)

There is a Vista portal called pspWvista, in case your interested.
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-10-18 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I am no expert on this, but remember when someone first installed Windows 95 on a PSP using the Bochs x86 emulator (how ironic - x86 being emulated on MIPS! ) The main problems were that the directional pad was the only means of input - there is no keyboard. Seems more like one of those taks which you do because you can, rather than because it has any actual use!

If you are just going for the "look" of a Windows desktop then there are many launcher skins which are little more than html pages viewed through the PSP browser. One example is here, showing "Vista" on a PSP. A similar WinCE launcher is definitely feasible, although perhaps not so attractive.
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-10-18 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

As for the Gizmondo, it is now fairly trivial to access the Windows CE modeand run a variety of CE and Gizmondo only programs. Seems to be the way to go if you want a gaming platform which you can run CE apps on, although once again there is no touch screen so you are limited by the joystick/buttons.

Edit: cool sig by the way Z.D.E.T. - any meaning to that?

Edited by ZSX 2007-10-18 1:20 PM
 Top of the page
Z.D.E.T. Page Icon Posted 2007-10-18 5:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Edit: cool sig by the way Z.D.E.T. - any meaning to that?

There is!

Im a zombie enthusiast ! Movies, books, drawings, whatever.

Some people have anime, I have this.
 Top of the page
clcrx7
clcrx7 Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 9:11 AM
#
More importantly, could any version of windows ce or windows mobile be ported the the Nintendo DS?
 Top of the page
UncleSporky Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 10:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

clcrx7 - 2007-10-19 9:11 AM

More importantly, could any version of windows ce or windows mobile be ported the the Nintendo DS?

I really don't think so. There's just too much of a discrepancy in power and it would take a lot of complex coding etc.

There are, however, decent homebrew OS's out for it...just nothing that can run CE apps.

Top of the page
deusexaethera
deusexaethera Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 10:48 AM
#
I think there's no point to it. The user interface wouldn't be able to support any useful functionality.

Then again, I refuse to ride anything without brakes, and I refuse to work on anything without a keyboard.
 Top of the page
clcrx7
clcrx7 Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 7:03 PM
#
That looks pretty cool. What program is that? I know what homebrew is but I've just never done anything with it. Did you have to flash the DS for that?
 Top of the page
eax
eax Page Icon Posted 2008-03-25 2:50 PM
#
It's incredible what you can do on a portable console like the PSP.

There are tons of homebrew developed just for it. The biggest handicap is the lack of a keyboard, but the old "fat" model comes with a IRDA port and you can use a universal keyboard with this interface, such as the Targus I own.

The PSP uses a 333 MHz MIPS R4000 (32-bit) CPU, a GPU with 2 MB onboard VRAM running at 166 MHz, and includes 32 MB main RAM and 4 MB embedded DRAM. It's enough for running interesting applications and homebrew.
But what really makes the PSP an interesting portable device is the integrated wi-fi module and the superb screen.

I think a win ce for the Sony console would be great, even the lack of a touchscreen is not a big problem... you could emulate the cursor with the left stick. But it seems no one is interested in this project.

My hope is a future linux develop for this great device.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 8:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

deusexaethera - 2007-10-19 10:48 AM
I refuse to work on anything without a keyboard.

You and me both!

However, you could try to mod the usb port to accept an external USB keyboard on the PSP? Even with that, it'd still be useless as you still need an input device for a mouse/pen.

Neat idea though, and I like those homebrew os'es for the DS. Thanks fr sharing that.
 Top of the page
Z.D.E.T. Page Icon Posted 2008-04-09 3:35 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I pity myself for not realizing that you can't downgrade with an official firmware over 2.6. I learned that once I upgraded to 3.71. Now I have to miss out on all of the sick apps. and mods. :'(
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11