x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Format CF Card in Knoppix for j72x Linux

Martyn
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 5:24 PM
#
Hi the guy's over at JLime managed to get shlo their bootloader (sadly not arm chip compatible) to run without user interaction via an autorun cd like in wince (reset, and linux starts right back up again) and as soon as they get a j7xx or two they say it will take about a month to complete the port.

In the mean time I've been attempting to use knoppix to fdisk my CF Card ready to play with BSD, but the 512mb disk comes back with the error after running #fdisk /dev/uba1 'you will not be able to write to the partition table' and my 256 CF Card lets me run through fdisk and then says 'error 13 permission denied'

With the 2GB UltraFast 80x Kingston Card should I run a swap disk, any advantage?

My reason for wanting to run Linux on my j728 is that the WinCE software isn't as god as on my hx4700 and I'd like to be able to make better use of the wider screen and built in keyboard, first and formost on the agender is an office suite, OpenOffice.org would be great but really all I need is an A4 spreadsheet with a couple of outlined text boxes for my invoices and a nifty Word Processor.

I'd like a book reader and if possible I've heard of people watching DVD's on them under WinCE so a neet media player would be good.

I intend to keep a blog of my expieriences as soon as I get started and from this develop an up todate user manual if I sugceed.

First of all I need help formatting these damn cards then could someone tell me how much software I can run?

Cheers

Martyn
 Top of the page
Martyn
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 6:05 PM
#
Also I have been thinking about getting an HP external keyboard and was wondering if it was possible to connect my j728 to both my PC and the keyboard at the same time?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oops. you can already get a great wordprocessor (Textmaker) and several spreadsheet applications (for example Planmaker)
i don't think openoffice would run... isn't it a real bloatware?

mediaplayer: betaplayer... free... opensource (?)..

anyway, for programs visit this site: http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/
there're a LOT of them! (bookreaders also!! ubook, mobipocket, etc...)
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 11:30 PM
#
H/PC Elite

i think at least theoretically, you could do it, by using the cradle, just pop off the switch that alternates between USB and serial, so you'll have both port available, use the USB for your PC and the other for the J. however, i dunno if the serial & USB leads can be used both at the same time.

If that doesn't works, try plugging the keybd and syncing via LAN, either wired or WiFi.

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
Martyn
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 5:39 PM
#
Thanks guys,

I feel a lot more confident that Linux will allow me the flexability and scalability that I need. OpenOffice was a for instance not a serious suggestion although I know of plenty of people who would love to be able to author PowerPoint presentations on their pocketPC I'm not one of them. Give me a good quality word processor and spreadsheet program and I'm happy, powerpoint viewer, PDF viewer, and maybe database tools would be great but I'll ask more about those once linux is running.

My main problem at the moment is as I said I can't partition my CF cards let alone format them ready for installing Linux. What is the best Distribution to run on my desktop to sync with my Jornada and get involved with program development? How much can I achive directly on my 728?

Thanks once again

Martyn
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 6:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry if you misunderstood (?). the programs i mentioned are for windowsCE on the jornada 720. what's more, there's a free pdf viewer too, acrobat reader for wince, downloadable here on hpcfactor. powerpoint viewer and pocket access is already on the 720. there're other database tools too

anyway you still can try linux just the power management isn't that great... you cannot suspend properly.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

maybe they can help you about linux here: http://handhelds.org/hypermail/jornada/
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 7:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Distro choosing depends mostly on your personal tastes. For example (when i used linux) i used Gentoo, i like the portage system, and not having to wait for binaries to be build. but there are some who prefer FC (everything prepackaged) or Mandrake (excellent for newbies). For a dev system, i'd rather go over Gentoo. i dunno if there's an ARM native linux port of gcc, but if there is, you can do most of the things in the J itself

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 10:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Martyn - 2005-04-26 3:38 PM

Thanks guys,

I feel a lot more confident that Linux will allow me the flexability and scalability that I need. OpenOffice was a for instance not a serious suggestion although I know of plenty of people who would love to be able to author PowerPoint presentations on their pocketPC I'm not one of them. Give me a good quality word processor and spreadsheet program and I'm happy, powerpoint viewer, PDF viewer, and maybe database tools would be great but I'll ask more about those once linux is running.

My main problem at the moment is as I said I can't partition my CF cards let alone format them ready for installing Linux. What is the best Distribution to run on my desktop to sync with my Jornada and get involved with program development? How much can I achive directly on my 728?

Thanks once again

Martyn

Hi Martyn, I think I saw your post on jlime's forum. I'm going to try formating one of my CF with Mepis linux distro (which is dual-booting on my notebook). Will let you know if that works out.

So far, the autorun.inf file works like a gem ... I just need to download a package (deodes or something) and untar unto a linux partn on the CF. That's what you are trying to do right?
 Top of the page
Martyn
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-04-27 7:01 PM
#
Yes! Thanks Snappy can't wait to see the results.
 Top of the page
Martyn
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-04-27 7:09 PM
#
Sorry Snappy, forgot to say that I was planning to test the Kernal produced by http://armlinux.simtec.co.uk/index.html and then hopefully try to start a port of something like Gnoppix which runs from a CD into ram so should in theory as far as I can tell be small enough in basic form for the job then just a question of sellecting appropriate software once the new OS is stable
 Top of the page
longboarder543 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 2:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

If you're going to port a distribution, howabout one of the distros that are meant for USB Flash Drives. Seems like they would be a more ideal size for CF card. Maybe Puppy Linux (50-60megs with GUI) at http://www.goosee.com/puppy/

That 50 megs includes:

AbiWord -- a very good MSWord-compatible word processor
Firefox
Gxine - playing movies
Xcalendar
Planmaker Free Edition - open,edit, save excel spreadsheets
GSview - pdf viewer
and more.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by longboarder543 2005-05-10 3:05 AM
 Top of the page
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-07-06 2:23 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'm a total linux newbie.
I'm just trying to figure out what the deal is with linux.
Can all linux programs run on any version of linux?
eg. Can GAIM (instant messaging) be run on Suse, Knoppix, and even that "puppy linux" or JLime, no matter what type of unit the OS is installed on/in?

So, If you got a verson of linux running from your flash card/usb drive, does it completely rid your unit of winCE? I have a feeling it doesn't.

So If linux was running on a HPC, does that mean we could use linux drivers for 802.11g cards and Ipods and everything?

Thanks, Sorry it's a lil off topic

Anyways, Can't wait until you all get it running. Especially if the above is true

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-06 5:15 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

no, the world has never been as rosy as that.

but yes, you're right partly. you (or someone else) just have to compile it for your system (and arm cpu), and if cpu/memory requirements aren't too high, you can run it..
(so mozilla, openoffice etc isn't really possible - i don't know about gaim)

the 802.11g has to be either CF or 16 bit pcmcia though - but you can already get a G card for hpc's .. it is some linksys or similar, forgot the exact model. though not any faster as a B card..
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Gaim is not a memory hog, so it should run, if not, they're a lot of multiprotocol clients, and some are text based (less bloat anyone). The 16 bit G card is a cisco one. I think Rich has it. Openoffice... forget it, it's HUGE. about any program that has an ARM port could be recompiled for H/PCs

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 30