x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can I use a mouse?

1 2
ET
ET Page Icon Posted 2004-10-16 7:47 PM
#
My Izzi Pro has a USB port. From what I've read about USB support in WinCE, the only support as standard is for a mouse. However, even that doesn't work on my machine. It just asks for a driver. Is there any generic mouse drivers that could be used on WinCE 2.11? (A mouse may be somewhat useful with this machine since the screen is a bit wobbly, given that it can swivel.)
 Top of the page
ET
ET Page Icon Posted 2004-10-17 6:36 PM
#
I gather that the driver, when it exists, is called hid.dll. Anyone has this driver and can e-mail it to me to test? (et-at-et3d.com)
 Top of the page
ET
ET Page Icon Posted 2004-10-18 3:52 PM
#
Sorry, forgot to mention it's a MIPS machine.
 Top of the page
I'm Alex
I'm Alex Page Icon Posted 2004-10-18 7:09 PM
#
hrmm....I thought this was included with all USB HPC Pro's...

Looks like the Izzi was left out , a Google shows that there are other people who can not use the USB port for a mouse either.

I used a USB Mouse with my MP 880 - HPC 2.11.

Perhaps it is by design?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-20 11:08 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ET *Salutes the DirectX guru*

(sorry couldn't resist)

I'm guessing that from your first description your Izzy is the s310 version not the s300 version? There were two.

The s300 was fully compatible with a docking station, which had PS/2 Mouse and keyboard connectors.
When using this however with the s310 version you had to (for some really odd reason) uninstall the touch screen software as the driver couldn't co-exist with the docking stations mouse drivers.

I am guessing that this means the s300 has the mouse drivers and the s310 doesn't.

I also have a feeling that you need a driver file called USBHID.dll as well.
However this may be different under the 2.11 OS as the references I am taking the HID.dll and USBHID.dll from are from the CE4 platform builder documentation.

For anyone interested HID stands for Human Interface Device.

I am just trying to think of any 2.11 devices that had a flash rom update that I may be able to find the dll's in.
 Top of the page
ET
ET Page Icon Posted 2004-10-20 3:00 PM
#
Thanks for the info, C-Amie. You're the resident expert, are you?

Don't know about USBHID.dll. I learned about hid.dll from a list of DLLs at Microsoft, and IIRC it didn't have USBHID.dll. I think it was for WinCE 3.0, though I'm not sure. Doesn't mean it will work on 2.11, of course, but I was hoping to try that.

Pity it's not easy to get the device driver kit, as the WinCE 2.11 one should contain the source to the driver. Also, I found the partial source for a mass storage device driver that some user got and posted, and having the driver kit might have allowed me to at least see if I can rig a driver out of it (though I'm sure it's not trivial).

Of course, it's rather early to see if it's even easy to program anything for that device. Theoretically I want to try this, once I get the infrared adaptor I ordered from eBay and can sync. The problem is finding something simple to program. It's tempting to jump into complex open source software, but I don't think I'll really be up to it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-20 3:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are one or two that may use the term expert... most would probably use the term annoying though
I think that HID and USBHID may be either the dame library under a different name or both part of the same function.
Either way of course your device will need to have the USB OHCI drivers installed, without which the port is dead.

As you've probrably found out there Windows CE Explorer is very limited when it comes to choosing which files it wants to show you. There are a few applications out there that can tunnel through the Microsoft enshrined "super hidded bit attribute". Pocket DOS is one example.

If you're not up on your old DOS commands
dir /s /b > output.txt

Will give you a list of ROM files, in all sub folders.
There is no known method thus far for lifting files out of ROM though. If a keen developer happened to write me a lifter application (hint hint) I'd be extreamly greatful.

Alas the full DDK and DDTK's are in the platform Builder. I don't know how much you can get done against the eVT / Windows CE Tool kit's for Visual C.
eVT and SDK downloads can be found here.

While we here at the site aren't new and shiney (anymore?)... although I think a few of the team's Mrs. would have something to say to me on that. This forum is very new. There are a few developers coming and going. So if you need assistance, while I'm not especially well places to assist... I hope that the boards will be useful in any projects you decide to create.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-10-20 5:18 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

[As you can see, I decided to register to the forum. Annoyingly, the site doesn't allow two letter usernames.]

Writing something is just a vague notion for now. I already downloaded the development stuff (or have it on the MSDN DVDs), but haven't installed it yet. I'll see how much time and excitement I could muster.

I have Total Commanded / CE installed, which I think should show hidden files. However, I don't think I'm seeing any more than Windows Explorer shows. Where should the hidden files be? I want to check if I can see them.

BTW, thanks god for the goggle cache. For some reason, I can no longer access the cewindows.net site, which has good lists of CE 2.11 compatible WiFi cards. I want to buy one. Unfortunately (and something google can't sadly solve), I don't live in the US, which makes buying stuff a lot harder. eBay is a good source, but a lot of sellers don't send outside the US -- in particular the one selling Symbol CF WiFi cards for cheap. I did order an infrared adaptor for my PC from a Hong Kong seller. Hopefully that will get here okay (it's fishy because it was so cheap).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-20 6:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to the forum

If you can see a file called ddi.dll in \windows then you are looking at the super bit stuff. If not, you aren't... obviously
DDI is always there and always hidden (unless like the Jornada 680 HP updated it as a manual install update.

We have our own list of compatible NIC's and other delights in our HCL:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/

I don't live in the US and am Not American, so I know the feeling (or occasionally is that relief? )

Let us know how you get on with the IrDA and Wifi.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-10-21 1:56 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

>We have our own list of compatible NIC's and other delights in our HCL

Yes, but it's not as good as the cewindows.net lists.

As for ddi.dll, indeed I can't see it with Windows Explorer, but can see it with Total Commander. And as you said, I can't transfer it. I tried to compress it, and got an error that it can't be opened for reading. If that's the case, I won't be able to easily solve the problem. I'll have to be much more of a Windows CE expert to be able to get to that file if it's not normally readable.

Edited by ET3D 2004-10-21 2:01 AM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-10-21 8:40 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

ET,
The development environment isn't that bad... Download Embedded visual tools and get the HPC Pro SDK, and you're away

Interesting stuff on your website, particularly the 3D stuff. My final year project of Computer Science was to write a computer based learning package which assisted in the teaching of constructive solid geometry ray tracing... Quite a lot more basic than the stuff you've done

If you're bored, you could always port Firefox to the machine...

Welcome to the board, community and development hub
Cheers,
Nick.
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2004-10-23 2:45 AM
#
OK, I have the usb driver pacakge for MIPS hpc2k in my archive. It's allowed me to use hdds & card readers. I've read it's good for mice, kbs and floppy drives. It can't hurt to give it a try on 2.11.

C-amie, can I em it to you for hosting for all MIPS users? PM me please.
 Top of the page
wallace
wallace Page Icon Posted 2004-10-23 2:48 AM
#
Ack, didn't log in for the above and this post. wallace here
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-23 8:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wallace,
You're welcome to email it to me.
Just head down to the very bottom of the page, there's a "contact" link next to the HPC:Factor copyright tag.

I will get it up asap.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-24 10:11 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wally thanks for the email.

I found the site that published the archive you sent, it is here:
http://www.softclub.jp/~zoro/ce/

Direct Link:
http://www.softclub.jp/~zoro/ce/usb020522.lzh

You may need to add the following registry settings for it: