x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Fast CF card recommendations?

lggagnon Page Icon Posted 2007-11-15 2:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I want to install JLime Linux on a CF card and use it on my J720. Can anyone recommend a fast 2GB or larger CF card and where I might purchase such for a reasonable price?

Larry
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-11-20 2:14 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Just by the cheapest 2gb card you can find -- it'll all run the same on the Jornada's bus.

I want to say Sandisk or Kingston just for reliability, but otherwise it doesn't make much difference. No reason to spend a lot on a card that will receive relatively intermittent use.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 9:39 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I bought a Sandisk Extreme CF card, and tested it against a Jessops branded standard speed card.

The unbranded was faster in data transfer across USB2 in a USB2 card reader.

My approach from now on? I'll be buying a cheap, reputable brand...
 Top of the page
rbsfou Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 10:18 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The point ProgramSynthesizer though, if it is to be permanently wedged in the Jornada running linux transfer speed is not an issue Although i would hardly call a running linux system "Intermittent Use" - it's going to be writing to log files a fair bit, and you will probably need a swap partition. So you might want a reliable brand. There were reported fakes of SanDisk cards on ebay a while back, so be careful if you go for these.

I use a 4GB Transcend and haven't had any issues so far, but then i hardly boot linux as i'm waiting for the Sound driver and suspend in a newer kernel before i consider running it full time.

Also i think i read somewhere about something in the bootloader that would dump the device ram to CF and restore it on shutdown so you don't lose your CE setup - if this happens i'll sell my second (test) 720...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

what and where did you read, rbsfou? afaik this was never implemented for the jlime bootloader

Edited by cmonex 2007-11-21 5:44 PM
 Top of the page
rbsfou Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 6:58 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

man i wish i could remember! Think it was somewhere in the jlime forum, or maybe it was just some product of my twisted imagination (i do a lot of that, just wish i had the skills to make these things happen!)
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-11-22 1:56 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I think we were speculating on that as a possible way to go, but never actually went in that direction.

Unless if you are using your Jornada for development or testing, the r/w level should be quite low -- although we have not actually modified Debian yet to do less of this (hah, I didn't know how to do it until very recently...perhaps a new base is in order). If you are using Jlime, it's familiar system is very slimmed-down, and should not be writing anything to the disk except the initial startup logs and short bits afterwards. Swap shouldn't even do much to modern CF cards, unless (again) you are using your card for development purposes.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10