x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Handheld HPC 728 Browsing

Grant
Grant Page Icon Posted 2004-10-18 8:03 AM
#
Hi all,

Great forum.

Wondering whether there's an equivalent of the excellent Thunderhawk browser that will run on the HPC 728?

My objective is to be able to view sites that are not necessarily optimized for Handheld PC browsing. With Thunderhawk, see: http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/products/pocketpc/download_cab_ms...

I don't see a version for the HPC 728, so does anyone know of any alternatives?

Grant.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-10-18 10:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, some websites have listed how to make NetFront 3.1 to work on the 728. And some users have had success too.

Here's the catch:
1) There is some work to be done; you have to hex edit the file. If you haven't heard of that method, it's not so hard to find out. But no one can do it for you and publish the resulting file because it would be a violation on the software license of NetFront; everyone has to DIY.

2) You need certain system files from the PocketPC. If you have a compatible PocketPC, you might be able to extract the needed files; even so it ain't easy as copy and paste. Again no one can legally publish these files because they are part of the PocketPC operating system.

3) If it works it works; if it doesn't, try again. No one can really support you because the above two steps could go wrong.

Personally I haven't invested enough time to get it to work yet. I could use some help myself
I really wish the developer could simply compile a version for H/PC. It's not hard to do, and should not be hard to support either. I'm sure a lot of us would pay the reasonable price for a good program.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-10-29 7:26 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

If there is much more talk about a web browser for the hpc I am going to start a revolution on my own. It really does amaze me that if people buy an old system like this they expect to be able to buy everything for it. Come on everyone, lets start programming already! hahaha
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 8:28 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2004-10-19 4:38 AM

Well, some websites have listed how to make NetFront 3.1 to work on the 728. And some users have had success too.

hi, can you tell me a page where it's listed? (pc counselor only talks about version 3.0 - i couldn't find anything on zonahandheld)
thanks
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 10:29 AM
#
H/PC Elder

well ... maybe now is a good time to point the GPL gun at NetFront folks and ask them to GPL their source code, with the clause that we only use it to compile and develop for the HPC platform?

Its sometimes so ironical ... if MS apps are really so lousy, why do people still want it GPLed for? If those critics are so good and coding, why don't I see more people coming up with a counter desktop OS?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 7:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-03-27 4:29 PM

well ... maybe now is a good time to point the GPL gun at NetFront folks and ask them to GPL their source code, with the clause that we only use it to compile and develop for the HPC platform?

hmmmmm good idea

Its sometimes so ironical ... if MS apps are really so lousy, why do people still want it GPLed for? If those critics are so good and coding, why don't I see more people coming up with a counter desktop OS?

yes, they are quite lousy (although there are exceptions: IE vs Firefox - the latter is lousier imho!). there are already enough OSes just they don't have the marketing power that MS does have....

now, about netfront 3.1. don't you know of any website, please?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 8:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-03-27 5:17 PM

yes, they are quite lousy (although there are exceptions: IE vs Firefox - the latter is lousier imho!). there are already enough OSes just they don't have the marketing power that MS does have....

now, about netfront 3.1. don't you know of any website, please?

Wow ... I finally find someone who favors IE for FF. ... I've used FF for ... 2~3 months or more and have not had any issues. I like the tab browsing. ... but I'm ok with IE anytime anywayz.

me dunno of any such website ... sorry ...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 9:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I am sorry I really don't remember now, after all these months. I did get 3.0 to work tho.

Zona Handheld doesn't have much info about this in its site contents, but there is a lot of info in its forums. Check it out.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 6:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you read the forums here you can see i have 3.0 too
so, i'm interested in 3.1 now

zonahandheld... surely i'm dumb but i couldn't find anything. i've searched the forums also, of course. if you can help me out with some links to those forums... i'd be REALLY grateful
thanks
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 6:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy: wow

i favor opera 6.0: tabbed browsing and can continue browsing at the same page(s) next time i open it! ahh i really like that. then IE (good, not slow, and doesn't want so many resources) then firefox (no comment). if 6.0 (really old version) can't handle something, i switch to IE. firefox is used once a month, or even never
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 8:37 PM
#
H/PC Elder

At least firefox is W3C compatible...

-FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 12:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-03-30 6:37 PM

At least firefox is W3C compatible...

-FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Now ... dun even get me started on this W3C compatibility thingie! ... dillo 0.8 build refused to work with the cookies that hpcfactor.com dish out. And why? Because it is malformed and not in compliance with W3C! ok, so some cookies are born malformed ... so? Can't we just get along? hehehe

Granted, I do respect the W3C standards. But there is this thingie about defacto standards. I recall that HTTP wasn't supposed to be The Protocol, but by the time everyone realised what hit them, it was the defacto standard. So it stuck on. Not that it was a bad thingie ...

So I have to wonder ... do we reject a defacto standard just because Microsoft came out with it?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 12:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

No - I only don't like it because it sucks...I mean, with all the security exploits and spyware that now comes along with it...

See, Microsoft has made some nice programs, like notepad and solitare.

I actually REALLY like the early versions of IE. It had a Netscape-like interface and ran pretty well. Of course, even then I still liked Netscape more. And Microsoft Office for DOS and a few other various things were pretty nice...But I still think that Microsoft used to make better products than it does now...like everyone else. And I don't like that it kills everything in its path!

-Yup, getting PRETTY off-topic here now aren't we.

EDIT: POST 600!!! WOOT!!! =P

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-03-31 1:11 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 8