x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CF Card format error

petmix Page Icon Posted 2007-11-29 4:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have a new CF card. Few weeks ago I tried to format it into FAT16 (because I wanted to load up a new bootloader version) with the original storage manager of the Win CE4.2. And after some secons of working,it sad that "unable to format". And from that time,I am simply not alloved to format or use it. I mean I cant. I can't write it nor read it...It is going same on host PC too. It says "The windows can't finishs formating" or something like that.
Is there any way to save my card?

Thanks
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-11-29 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Try formatting the card in a camera.
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-29 5:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

petmix - 2007-11-29 5:36 PM

I have a new CF card. Few weeks ago I tried to format it into FAT16 (because I wanted to load up a new bootloader version) with the original storage manager of the Win CE4.2. And after some secons of working,it sad that "unable to format". And from that time,I am simply not alloved to format or use it. I mean I cant. I can't write it nor read it...It is going same on host PC too. It says "The windows can't finishs formating" or something like that.
Is there any way to save my card?

Thanks

Formating a CF card on the MP900 itself, as opposed to on a host, seems as though it should be avoided, just to be safe, until documented experience indicates otherwwise.

Regards, Don
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-29 5:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I had this same thing happen on a CE 2.12 device:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10893&po...

CAuser's suggestion above restored the card, but the device still couldn't read it. If it says this again on the 900C after formatting the card in a camera, then you may have to try another card.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-11-29 6:18 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

A low-level formatting utility may helps, though my low-level formatting did not immediately make my card work until I formatted it in my Nikon Coolpix 5400.

BTW, I had experience with a SmartMedia card a few years back. After a card reader read pictures on it, my Olympus could not recognize it. I managed to download a low-level formatting utility from the manufacturer and formatted it and made it work. This is why I though a low-level format might help. Some cameras even come with a low-level format feature.

Edited by CAuser 2007-11-29 6:29 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-29 6:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Feel free to delete the folders the camera creates on the card, BTW.
 Top of the page
petmix Page Icon Posted 2007-11-30 3:57 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks, but I've tried to format it with a Nikon camera...allways when I put the card in its slot, the camera dont want to load up. Red light flashs up, and no life signal.And with an other card everything works well. So I'm afraid, I should get an other card.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-12-04 3:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Don't give up until you try a low-level formatting utility. If I remember correctly, Kodak comes with such a feature. You can always find some utility over the net.

Edited by CAuser 2007-12-04 3:39 PM
 Top of the page
petmix Page Icon Posted 2007-12-04 5:18 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I wont . I tried a low level format with the Pocket Mechanic (it was unbelieveable fast?!) and after (because the program said) I made a logical format...it wasnt succesfull . There is a card repair utility too, belongs to PM, but I'm not sure how is it working, and it would take around 250 hour!!!So I shall search the web for a low level format utility. Anyway, thanks for your tip.
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 6:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
Last effort chance: Zero the first block it on a linux machine, and then cfdisk.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda or sdb or whatever device appears in dmesg|tail

Anyway, most new cards come with a lifetime guarantee, how about 'back to the shop'?
Probably the fastest way anyway.

Edited by michelbel 2007-12-05 6:42 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10