x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

[FS:Global]: 320LX / MC12 CE 2 ROM Upgrade Availability (Open ended)

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 10:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

For Sale:
For any Ericsson MC12 or hp 320LX users still with CE 1.0 devices.

I have managed to obtain a small number of MC12 Windows CE 2.0 ROM upgrades which I am willing to sell to anyone in the community who wants one.

The ROM chips are Ericsson branded, new in boxes with all original software - still sealed.
The chips update the Windows CE 1.0 devices to Windows CE 2.00, offering a larger and more deiverse PDA experience through a more finly tuned interface, more robust built in facilities and a much broader range of third party applications available from developers.

Windows CE 2.0 builds on the foundation work in CE 1.00 and 1.01 with updated versions of Pocket Internet Explorer, the PIM applciations (now Pocket Outlook) with Inbox, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks.
Pocket Office is significantly updated with Pocket Word and Excel remaining in the suite and Pocket PowerPoint and Outlook adding to the built-in programs.
hp Month-at-a-Glance are also bundled in ROM.

Windows CE 2.0 also improves hardware support, but including updated file system and communications drivers. Using the Network Service Pack the devices become Wired and WiFi Network compatible, allowing you to browse the Internet and sync at Network speeds with a compatible card.

When updated to Windows CE 2.00, the devices are fully supported beyond Windows CE 1.0's compatibility with Windows 95 and NT 4.0, with full support for Windows 95, 98, Millennium, NT4.0, 2000 and Windows XP by using the latest Microsoft ActiveSync release.
Office 95, 97, 2000, 2002 (XP) and 2003 are also supported fully by ActiveSync.

Technical Specifications:
Windows CE 2.00 Build 7260
10MB ROM
Physical Chip replacement through the connector on the front of the base plate

Compatible with the Ericsson MC12 and Hewlett Packard 320LX

What is Included:
1x Windows CE 2.00 ROM Chip in protective box
1x Ericsson MC12 Upgrade CD
1x Replacement keyboard ALT / Function overlay
1x 'Upgrade Your MC12...' Getting Started Guide
1x Microsoft Windows CE Services 2.0 Standard Software bundle (Shrinkwrapped)including:
- Windows CE 2.00 Certificate of Authenticity
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.0 Guide
- Microsoft Registration Card
- Windows CE Services OEM CD

I will also include a CD with Ericsson and hp device updates, as well as HPC:Factor updates, ActiveSync 3.8 and Microsoft Windows CE 2.0 Utilities.

What is not Included
Just a reminder that this is a CE 2.00 ROM upgrade, unlike the 2.11 one it does not increase internal RAM.
Unlike the hp ROM, bFax 3 and the hp desktop graphics are not included in the MC12 ROM. Otherwise they are identical. bFax 5 was the final CE 2 release. Functionality is recovered by using the Ericsson communication software tools which make up the difference.

You said this is an Ericsson chip, will it work in the 320LX?
I have tested one of the Chips in both my Ericsson MC12 and hp 320LX. Both booted and operated fine.

What language are they?
The chips contain the International English image of Windows CE 2.0. Likewise all of the paper documentation is in English, with multi-lingual Ericsson CD content.

The Ericsson Phone & Communications Tools
The reason why bFax was not included is because Ericsson created their own software suite (SIM backup, SMS, IrDA Dial-up etc) to work with their phones. Windows CE 2.0 versions of the software are included on the Ericsson content CD, and I will provide patches on my updates CD.

I cannot state specifically what is included on the CD, nor which phones are afforded native compatibility in the SMS and phonebook management. For the simple reason that I have not broken any software seals.

What do they cost?
I will take and consider all genuine offers, as a guideline the image below is the VAT receipt of the retail price of them when purchased from the OEM.

It is in GB Pound. Roughly converted that works out at $114 US, €85 EUD and ¥12000 JPY. So make me an offer!

I will take personal Cheque (UK). Postal Order or Bankers Draft at a push.

I would prefer Electronic Fund Transfer directly into the bank account, that is the fastest way for anyone International who wants one. I will accept PayPal, but in either case I'm not accepting fees.

Lastly I reserve the right to accept or decline offers, but will consider all genuine offers.

Shipping
Buyer pays for shipping at Cost.
I will insist on obtaining proof of dispatch from the post office / courier, which I will scan and email along to you. In the Post Office's case it is 50p on top of the shipping.
I will ship insured and / or with proof of delivery so long as you understand the first point.

I will post internationally - Be sure to understand my Terms first. Anyone in the USA expect a customs delay, they just seem to be holding everything up these days.

Shipping weight is 285g, please add on 20p for packaging.

Lastly
Any questions please post here in the thread or PM me. Consider the offer open until I say otherwise.
Please understand that this is a private sale, and has nothing to do with HPC:Factor as an organisation.
 Top of the page
cgould
cgould Page Icon Posted 2005-09-16 7:52 AM
#
I have previously had no luck in obtaining a CE 2.0 ROM upgrade for my Ericsson MC12 and found your post today when I decided to try again.

Do you still have one available or have they all been sold now?

I've had trouble connecting it to my PC with HP/C Explorer and I used it to view the internet/email with a CF modem or mobile, however support for CE 1.0 was stopped by my ISP and it has just been sitting around for some time now not being used much. I would like to start using it again for email and internet and wondered if the networking capability would work if connected to my PC and broadband internet connection - it may even work with my mobile again.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-16 9:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cgould,

Yes I do have a few left.
FWIW to other users, I will state here in the listing when I run out of them.

With the HPC:Factor NSP you will get Networking support, which includes some 802.11b cards if you're into wireless networking. (See the HCL)
We also have a Generic IR Modem driver which may well work with your phone (likewise it may be on the HCL)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 3:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Just bumping this.
Having sold yet another one earlier in the week (to forumer Macavity) I'm starting to run short on sealed chips now. So please hurry as it's first come first serve.
I will be asking around to see if I can get anyone at Ericsson to shoot me a few more, but don't count on me having any luck.

Also, I would prefer it if anyone interested posted here to register interest rather than just contacting me without posting (you don't *have* to). I just like to keep things transparent with the community. Cheers.
 Top of the page
Disorganism
Disorganism Page Icon Posted 2005-10-24 6:52 PM
#
Hello, I currently reside in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

I just recently acquired a 320LX at a local fleamarket for $10.00 CAN. I couldn't resist - it came in it's original box, with manuals, warranty cards, and the docking bay w/cable.

I love saving old gear, it seems like such a shame to see electronics I would have died to own 5-8 years ago, sitting in someone's milk-crate.

Like everyone else, I've quickly discovered support for this little unit is slim, and it's mostly decorative without CE 2.0.

I've spent $10 for the unit, $16 on rechargeable NI-CAD batteries, and $5 to replace the dying back-up battery in it. So, my investment has been minimal so far.

Unfortunately, it didn't come with it's AC cable, and I'm trying to source one of these as well (5.25V, rare)...

The point of all this is: do you still have one of these (very rare) upgrade ROM's? In your estimation, approx. what would the cost be to buy one from you and have it shipped to Canada? And finally, is it even worth it, considering I don't even have the AC cable?

Please email me at disorganism@gmail.com if you have the time...

Many thanks...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-24 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Disorganism - 2005-10-25 12:52 AM

Unfortunately, it didn't come with it's AC cable, and I'm trying to source one of these as well (5.25V, rare)...

The point of all this is: do you still have one of these (very rare) upgrade ROM's? In your estimation, approx. what would the cost be to buy one from you and have it shipped to Canada? And finally, is it even worth it, considering I don't even have the AC cable?

i have an MC16 (360LX clone.. same as 320LX with CE 2 and a faster CPU, etc..), and while i have the AC adapter for it, it is not really needed to recharge the batteries. just buy a charger for your rechargeable AA's and use that. they're very cheap and can be found everywhere!
but if you want to do lan/wlan/similar power consuming stuff, you'll need the AC adapter of course you'll need the AC adapter then only if you buy the ROM upgrade networking is not available for CE 1.0
so in either way, it is worth buying the upgrade! i can help with the specs of the AC adapter if you need information on it.
(the only power consuming stuff you can do without the upgrade is using a PCMCIA modem in it.)
anyway you got a really good deal on it... 10$.. ah. mine was more.. ok it is a 360LX
hmm, what else did i want to say... ah yes, you're so right, i would have died to own this 360LX 5-10 years ago. 5 years ago, i could have used it instead of a real PC, as i didn't own one. and it could have done everything for me (word, excel, and with a modem: irc, and surfing on some simple websites i was visiting frequently at that time). i'm still happy that i got this HPC at last...

Edited by cmonex 2005-10-24 8:05 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 7:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi there, yes I do have some of the Ericsson branded ones left.
According to the Royal Mail website the shipping (at cost) will be:

£5.49 International Airmail
£3.30 International Signed For (Insurance, proof of delivery, proof of shipping)
---------
£8.79

You can check these yourself here:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400036&mediaId=40...

Please have a read of the first post in the thread, as I'm accepting offers and will make individual judgements. Please PM (preferred) or e-mail me.

I also had a quick look on eBay and found:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-stylus-3-pack-ac-adapter-palmtop-series-30...
 Top of the page
Disorganism
Disorganism Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 7:57 AM
#
Cmonex: Thanks for the reply, yes it would be great if you could give me the specs for that adapter, as I'd prefer to find a generic one locally...I believe they're 5.25v, but I'd like the MAmps as well if possible! I did just as you suggested and bought some rechargeable batteries for it (already have a charger)...but the screen is very difficult to see without the backlight on, and when it is on the batteries only last for about a half-hour! The AC cord would be a good idea if I'm just using it at home.

C:Amie: Thanks for the reply as well...I'm thinking this may be too costly for me (as much as I'd love to save this fun little gadget)- I read through your first post...I'd have a hard time justifying spending more than $100CAN for this part (considering what the unit cost me and what it would cost to just buy a better unit) and that only converts to $47.50 in your currency...but I will give it some thought. And thanks for the eBay link, I appreciate your help!

Cheers to all...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 2:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Disorganism - 2005-10-25 1:57 PM

Cmonex: Thanks for the reply, yes it would be great if you could give me the specs for that adapter, as I'd prefer to find a generic one locally...I believe they're 5.25v, but I'd like the MAmps as well if possible! I did just as you suggested and bought some rechargeable batteries for it (already have a charger)...but the screen is very difficult to see without the backlight on, and when it is on the batteries only last for about a half-hour! The AC cord would be a good idea if I'm just using it at home.

AC adapter: 5.25V 1,5 A (but i think you can get away with 1A or even less).
it is ericsson branded (to suit the ericsson mc16..) but it could as well be a generic one by the looks of it
if you need any other information just let me know

how much capacity do your batteries have? half an hour is not much... i have 2100 and 2500 mAh ones.
 Top of the page
circlip
circlip Page Icon Posted 2005-10-27 6:29 AM
#
Hi,

I have just bought an HP 320LX and I would like to purchase one of your upgrade kits. Are they still available? PM me if you like.

I live in Sydney, Australia.

How much are you offering these for?

Thanks,

Abdul.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-27 9:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, and please read the above, I'm taking offers.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-11 1:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie, are the chips *still* avaliable?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-11 6:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yep, I have a few left.
 Top of the page
manuel Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 3:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi fools,
Waiting for the arrival of the rejuvenate chip for my old 320LX.
This machine will come back to my pocket in short with a pair of extra AA cells.

Blue Skies
manuel
 Top of the page
manuel Page Icon Posted 2005-12-15 7:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

manuel - 2005-12-15 9:45 PM

Hi fools,
Waiting for the arrival of the rejuvenate chip for my old 320LX.
This machine will come back to my pocket in short with a pair of extra AA cells.

Blue Skies
manuel

MY APOLOGY FOR THE MISTAKE
I'M SPANISH AND MAY BE I MAKE SOME MISTAKES WHEN WRITING.....
THE CORRECTION IS FOLKS INSTEAD OF FOOLS
FOLKS ON THE MEANING OF " people in general, esp. those of a particular group or class:"

Blue Skies
Manuel
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.210 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9