x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Outage: 18 December 2007

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-18 7:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Frankly, we would very much like to be able to tell you what has been going on for the last 9 hours, however, the truth of the matter is that we don't know.

I have managed to get the site up and running as you see it now, but it is operating within a very insecure memory process isolation mode, that is liable to start upsetting other server processes.

Expect more outages

I will keep you all updated.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-18 3:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh uh! :/
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-18 4:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We are running again, as you might have observed

This was due to a Windows failure. While it it lucky that the site is currently running, irony would have it that very little else is actually working on this server! Which is something of a problem...

Expect more outages
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-19 4:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We have replaced YABHDD and the server is now running, however the permissions are shot to pieces.

We should be over the worst of it now though, but do anticipate some more down-time.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-12-19 7:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

When the forum goes down it is kind of like when the power goes out...you sit around and wonder...."what do I do now?"
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-20 12:40 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Glad its back up and running. However one question. Why on a website which gets as much traffic as this site does would you use a windows server? Thats just asking for trouble eventually. Years ago even microsoft didnt use their own servers as hotmail.com ran FreeBSD for years until somebody pointed it out. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/08/01/ms_hotmail_servers_begin_sw...

Cheers
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-20 5:43 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh dear Linux fan alert. I was just saying to cmonex not 48 hours ago just how much trouble I've had with Linux based servers over the years compared to NT5 based ones... but we'll not have the argument.

This was really rotten luck more than anything else.

The Microsoft register article you posted was from 2000, Microsoft got hold of hotmail in Q1 1998, ok it is a bit dinosaur-like, but I think the time scale is acceptable given they they effectively rewrote hotmail and presumably had to restaff/retrain the newly aquired hotmail group that was absorbed into MSN.

There will be another outage, for around an hour or so today while we perform some partition management. Touch wood, aside from some update reboots we are back in business.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.199 - Cached queries : 58 - Executed queries : 16