x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Forum Ideas, Bugs and Requests

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-01-11 1:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ASP3 does not support a threading model. Without the mail server being on my network I can't use a drop/pickup process to emulate one. The site appears to hang one some threads where there are a lot of subscribers because the mail server is incredibly slow at performing authenticated requests over its WAN connection.

So, no.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 2:53 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The site was down most of the day for me...it just came back up. What happened?
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 3:02 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Same thing on this end Yoldering, first time I've been able to get on is now.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 1:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I figured it was one of two things...

either I overwhelmed it with all my hpcbay posts...or...

it was that sexy girl in C:Amies signature line...and I think I'd like to see the rest of her....
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 1:36 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've not heard back from insurgent yet, but this is what I posted up on http://www.c-amie.co.uk/ when it happened to me yesterday evening.

It looks like there is a problem with the DNS servers over in Florida this evening. If you can't get to HPC:Factor it is because your local DNS records have expired and the US servers aren't available to give your browser the correct IP address.

The web servers are still running in England however, which seems to highlight a vulnerability in the system. I've sent Insurgent an offer of assistance and some additional backup capacity for the DNS. Sadly it's Saturday and this may not get noticed until Monday because the e-mail will flop out too.

Not too usefuil having running servers and no traffic

I'll post the other 2/3of the lass in the sigs thread - but only because I know your wife would disapprove
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 2:35 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

But why would a faulty DNS server effect me in Europe?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 6:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

DNS records have Time to Live fields. After that expires, the records become fit for deletion from the DNS system if they can't be renewed.

DNS works on the basis of an Authoratative server and recursive/cached lookups. The US server "leo" is the authoratative server and there is also a backup of that. When you ask for hpcfactor.com your browser checks its local DNS cache, if it is in there then it uses that non-authoratative record to get the IP address and load the site. If it isn't it asks your ISP's DNS server. Same thing happens, except if the ISP doesn't have it, it (most likely) asks a root server (com.) where hpcfactor is. com. says it has no idea where hpcfactor.com. is, but it has a record that there is a server that does know (leo) and that leo should be on xx.xxx.xxx.xx - "go ask leo". This is know as a recursive query.

Your browser then asks leo, but as leo wasn't up it couldn't get the reply from leo telling it that hpcfactor is on an IP address in the UK "so go there you young whippersnapper"

It seems that Insurgent has HPC:Factors running on a very short TTL, 15 minutes in fact. So once the DNS server died, after a couple of hours intermediate DNS servers (your ISP) and your PC started deleting the records and in the absence of a workable backup, your browser couldn't raise the website. The only record that was left active was the glue record on com. which didn't work. Therefore no website.

... and that dear friends is how DNS works.

I on the other hand could access the site because I have a DNS server and added a static registration
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 7:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

But does that mean then we could have manually entered the IP address and still connected even though the title 'hpcfactor.com" couldn't be found?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 7:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, you would have had to create an entry in your hosts file or on a DNS server you control. The reason being that there is more than one website on the server. The hostheader (domain name request) is used to deliver you to the correct server on the IP address. No domain name and you don't get what you expect.

It is an easy thing to do though and will work on Windows 3.11+, Mac and Linux.
On Windows

Open c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
open the hosts file in notepad

Add this at the bottom:
93.97.24.177 www.hpcfactor.com

Don't forget if you add something to the hosts file though. If we change server IP and you don't, instant 404 as it overrides DNS.

On linux the hosts file can be found at /etc/hosts
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 8:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, did it. I understand what you said...kind of. And I gave it a try, just entering the IP address and got the picture below.

But if I enter "93.97.24.177 www.hpcfactor.com" in the URL window, my browser goes to my Google search page...and not to HPCFactor. How come?

(snap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments snap.jpg (26KB - 0 downloads)
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 9:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You seem to have skipped most of my instructions
On Windows

Open c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
open the hosts file in notepad

Add this at the bottom:
93.97.24.177 www.hpcfactor.com

Putting 93.97.24.177 www.hpcfactor.com into the address bar won't do anything, it's a meaningless statement which your browser interpreted as a search query.

The hostheader is part of the HTTP 1.1 protocol. It's part of the browser programming, not something you can interact with.

The screenshot is what I've programmed that server to send back.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-20 9:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No, I didn't skip those instructions...I did that okay, but was just playing around with the other stuff.
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 12:58 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I cannot submit a correction to the HCL.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/detail.asp?hcdid=91&pn=3&mstrcat=11&so...

Pressing the link to correction page gives following message.

("""""""""""".png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments """""""""""".png (34KB - 0 downloads)
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 5:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

yeesh! The fact that I know that will have been broken for well over 18 months is telling on how often it gets used

Fixed now, thanks.
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-08-03 4:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

There's a couple of broken links here to download HPC Vista drivers for either 32 or 64-bit systems. 'Invalid File Reference' . There might be several others in 'support & tutorials' that are like this, haven't tried them though.

Edited by Paspie 2011-08-03 4:44 PM
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 17