x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cannot Start Communications With the Desktop Computer

Desertway Page Icon Posted 2008-01-01 2:55 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have a Jornada 720 and WinXP. I have always synced over the LAN. However, I haven't synced for a few months, and today when I tried to connect ActiveSync from the 720, I got the message:

"Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. The computer is not available or busy and currently cannot accept connections."

I tried disabling the firewall, but that didn't help.

I installed ActiveSync 3.8 over itself, and that didn't help.

I also tried running a Winsock repair program that I have, but that didn't help either.

The only thing I can think of which might have messed things up is that I got a Microsoft Zune mp3 player which has Wifi capabilities. The Zune software might have made changes to xp's wireless device services? If that even makes any sense.

Suggestions, please?

Thanks,
Ellen
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-01-01 4:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It wouldn't have made changes to the stack, however it could be a netbios issue with the machine. Have you tried a manual usb/serial sync - then go for the LAN sync.
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2008-01-01 4:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ok. I just tried that. I got a Communications Error:

"Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. Remote Neworking could not start due to a critical error (Error 678).

"Please reconnect your device. If the problem persists, restart your device using the instructions provided by the manufacturer."

So, I was looking up error 678 on the web, and after a few minutes, with the above error message still on the 720's screen, it started to sync. Odd. After it finishes, I will try the wireless sync. Again.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2008-01-01 4:55 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ok. The LAN sync didn't work. And now I can't repeat the wired sync. Sometimes it goes so far as to "itialize" the sync, and then the sync program just shuts down from the 720. Other times I get the original "Cannot start communications" message. And just now I got a Windows CE Networking message "Error registering name on network (may be duplicate). Change in communcations control panel and try again."
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-01-01 5:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you are having problems with the wired connection, I would suggest that you get that sorted out before you look at the remote sync. They will often go hand-in-hand with each other.

Do check to ensure that you have no other tray application running that could be using or blocking the ports required by ActiveSync - including XP's firewall, after that assume that it is more likely that the problem is on the H/PC.
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2008-01-01 6:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ok. Thanks for your advice.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-01-01 11:57 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I got the same error message when I tried to sync using a dock with only serial port. Syncing using J720's own serial port does work smoothly. In the end, I deleted the partnership and hard reset J720. Finally, I successfully synced using the dock. Strange behavior. It seems one partnership can only assign one serial port, either on the device or its dock.

Edited by CAuser 2008-01-02 12:20 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9