x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Everex Cloudbook

cfpmdrt
cfpmdrt Page Icon Posted 2008-01-09 3:32 PM
#
Have you guys seen this:

Cloudbook by Everex (based on VIA C7)

CPU ... VIA C7 ULV @ 1.2 Ghz (likely supported upgrade to windows)
Ram ... 512 MB
HDD ... 30 GB
Camera ... 1.2 M pixel
Price ... START at $400
come whit gOS (Linux)

This might be a Eee PC 4G killer. It have 30 GB of hard disk (Eee PC have 4) and better Camera. in same price. there will be other model haveing expansion interface modules and touchscreen (I do think it will really look like VIA NanoBook). It comes with 2 usb, cardreader, D-sub, wired and wireless Ethernet.

Top of the page Quote Reply
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-01-09 6:11 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The Everex website doesn't give the 30 GB value. An early December "rumor" indicated that the Everex was based on the Nanobook, maybe the source of the 30 GB disk number?

Interestingly, the company website gives two release dates for sale at Walmart (specifically, 1/25) and "fine retailers" (next to a Walmart icon, 1/20).

Since my Walmart and BestBuy are around 300 yards away from each other, I don't know that it's that big a deal for me to get either in a retail outlet.

Like many other things, I'd like to see the $400 price tag first. The EEEPC seemed to be coming in at sub-$400 (like $200?) up until a month before release.

Very nice to be a consumer at this time. :-)

I'm not too in love with Windows (which means Vista?) or video conferencing or things that start to smack of desktop replacement. I'd just like reasonable portable computing. Just my 0.02.
cfpmdrt
cfpmdrt Page Icon Posted 2008-01-09 6:47 PM
#
If Redgear would come out for the J7XX, then I would purchase that software before considering a UMPC.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-01-10 6:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, Walmart is right next door almost, so I'll see if it shows up....
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2008-01-25 2:25 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have to say I like the cloudbook better then the Eee Pc. First off, it looks different, second of all it's got better specs. This year should be an interesting year for consumers looking at versatile sub notebooks. It can only get better. (I hope )

I plan on getting one as soon as they hit Wal-Mart!
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-25 4:07 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

SOLIDUS - 2008-01-25 3:25 AM

I have to say I like the cloudbook better then the Eee Pc. First off, it looks different, second of all it's got better specs. This year should be an interesting year for consumers looking at versatile sub notebooks. It can only get better. (I hope )

http://www.cloudbooker.com/2008/01/10/available-walmart-in-stores-o...

Only online in Q1.

Regards, Don

http://www.cloudbooker.com/2008/01/19/cloudbook-developer-might-be-...

Edited by DonL0001 2008-01-25 4:11 AM
alexmclean Page Icon Posted 2008-02-19 7:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

SOLIDUS - 2008-01-25 7:25 AM

Actually, the cloudbook is slower than the eee. The eee has a solid state flash drive, which is faster than the cloudbook's hdd. Also as the processor is made by Via, it is slower than a lower clock speed Intel. The eee can have 2gb of ram but the cloudbook can only have 1gb.

The main advantage the cloudbook has is storage space, but it is possible increase the storage space of the eee by adding internal usb flash drives, or even an internal 1.8" hard drive (available up to about 180gb).

However, if the cloudbook is sold for $400, it will be cheeper than the eee.
Smog Page Icon Posted 2008-02-22 8:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The main advantage the cloudbook has is storage space, but it is possible increase the storage space of the eee by adding internal usb flash drives, or even an internal 1.8" hard drive (available up to about 180gb).

However, if the cloudbook is sold for $400, it will be cheeper than the eee.

the cloudbook got the Via unichrome video chip and got very bad support in Linux (just a notch over none); even if everex made 2 computers running linux and using the cn700 chip. go and read about it.

about SSD versus HDD : if you want an EXPANDABLE and REPLACABLE SSD so badly, just get a cheap IDE adaptor for compact flash cards. you can get them in almost any size, it's a LOT cheaper than on board and soldered SSD and you can get them at walmart if or when they fail.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.207 - Cached queries : 39 - Executed queries : 34