x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 &Nokia D211

iliadis Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 5:16 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all.Is there any version of linux for Jornada 720 that supports Nokia D211 card?Its very important for me because i have free gprs.Thanks in advance
 Top of the page
rbsfou Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 1:09 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Wish i had free gprs

I don't think this is possible - Nokia did release a D211 driver for Linux, but part of the driver is binary (which, predictably, means x86), and the license it comes with prohibits reverse-engineering (which is probably against the DMCA as i'm sure this allowed "reverse engineering for the purpose of inter-operability".

I'm not even sure if it'll work on newer kernels either. You are probably better off with getting a CF or PCMCIA bluetooth card that works with linux (can't help you there sadly), and using the bluez rfcomm serial support to a mobile phone. You can then start a ppp connection using something like wvdial to the "special" *99# number (there's plenty of guides on how to do this out there).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 6:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

or just get another gprs card that works as a standard modem, not like this crappy nokia
 Top of the page
iliadis Page Icon Posted 2008-01-14 10:21 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks both for yr answer.@ nore questions please.1.Any gprs card that works with j720 linux?2If i go to linux for J720 does the browser supports java applet?For example i want to remote login to my home pc using http:/192.......If the browser supports java then a vnc java applet must be load.Thanks
 Top of the page
rbsfou Page Icon Posted 2008-01-14 12:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, the source for the jdk / "netscape compatible browser" plugin is available, so in theory it is available. However, it may not be compiled for JLime so you may have to do this yourself (which will be painful on a 206mhz SA with 32mb).

Java will be slow anyway, why not just use xf4vnc, tightvnc, etc?

I have no experience with PCMCIA or CF BT cards; and i'm not sure what cmonex means. I guess maybe it's a PCMCIA card with a standard UART interfaced to GSM/GPRS circuitry..In theory this would work fine in any linux, provided the UART shows up as a serial device.

Over to cmonex to provide examples from her extensive selection of hardware
 Top of the page
iliadis Page Icon Posted 2008-01-19 7:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks my friend
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-19 10:25 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

rbsfou - 2008-01-14 6:55 PM

I have no experience with PCMCIA or CF BT cards; and i'm not sure what cmonex means. I guess maybe it's a PCMCIA card with a standard UART interfaced to GSM/GPRS circuitry..In theory this would work fine in any linux, provided the UART shows up as a serial device.

nothing to do with BT.

CE can handle these gprs cards i talked about so linux will be the same.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 57 - Executed queries : 16