x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

upgrading a IPAQ HX2000 to windows ce5

LithiumKid1976 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-15 4:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
i have a user here who made the a request to get his IPAQ HX2000 upgraded to windows CE5.

I have never upgraded the os on a PDA before, so im looking for some pointers or suggestions from any of the users who may have carried out this before.

is the windows CE5 a free download / upgrade?
is there much hassel with drivers / configurations with an upgrade?

any help appreaciated.

Thanks
Damien
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-01-15 7:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Damien,

I think that you have you "Windows # 5.0's" confused. You cannot run Windows CE 5.0 on the device, but you can run Windows Mobile 5.0 on it. You used to be able to purchase the ROM upgrade from hp for around $40, I am not sure if they will still sell it to you, I could not see it at a glance on hp Shopping.

Ref: http://pocketpccentral.net/help/ipaq/ipaqrx2_wm5.htm

So, it isn't free, as it is a fully licensed new version of Windows
The device will be largely different under 5.0 than 2003 SE, so there will be some configuration, and you will need WM5.0 drivers for all peripheral hardware. All internal hardware will "just work".
 Top of the page
LithiumKid1976 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-16 12:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for that info.
spent a while looking on the microsoft site for the correct info,......didnt get very far.

i must check now to see if windows mobile 5/6 is covered in the MSDN subscription.

Thanks for your help
Damien
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-01-16 1:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Damien,

You are misunderstanding the Windows Mobile creed, you cannot get hold of Windows Mobile like you can Windows XP - it is an OEM software suite, based upon extensions to the Windows CE core that is sold to licensees who ship large quantities of devices (hp, Dell etc). Each image is tailored to the hardware it is intended for and will not run on other devices.

Consequently you have to get it from the manufacturer.
 Top of the page
konker Page Icon Posted 2008-01-17 4:48 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

LithiumKid1976 - 2008-01-17 12:18 AM

Thanks for that info.
spent a while looking on the microsoft site for the correct info,......didnt get very far.

i must check now to see if windows mobile 5/6 is covered in the MSDN subscription.

Thanks for your help
Damien

LithiumKid1967,

Although MS offered ALL OEMs/ODMs FREE upgrade of existing Windows Mobile 5.0 licenses to WM6.0, not everyone jumped on the opportunity.
HTC for one has been really reluctant & selective in providing WM6 upgrades for devices it released shortly prior to the public announcement by MS for the license upgrade.
So, your user is definitely stuck with the official WM5.0 upgrade that HP provided.
There are alternative source(s) of the ROM upgrade that even a HP tech support personnel might venture to suggest to you if you were to ask.
I will not provide any details here for obvious reasons but if you have searched hard enough, you could have chanced upon something more than a WM5.0 ROM upgrade FOC.

Konker
iPAQ hx2755 WM6.0 Classic
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 10 - Executed queries : 62