x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

We need a new web browser!!

1 2
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-10-27 7:58 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

We do not need to look at things one-sided. Mozilla doesn't need to be the browser that would be used, one built on ce to run on ce would be far better. But mozilla doesn't need to be ported if we go the other way, but the mozilla engine-i forgot what it is called. That actual browser could be smaller. If that is too big though, a whole new browser could be made, but it would be a much larger project, having to make a good html engine too. But if you think about it, internet explorer was ported to this system by microsoft, and I have known their products to be huge and bloated. So mozilla or even better firefox couldn't be that much trouble.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2004-10-27 10:28 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Mips shmips, arm shmarm, sh3..... people allways forget the sh4.....

Edited by thcrw739 2004-10-27 10:33 PM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-10-28 3:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Steve, don't worry about the SH4. Literally all that's needed to compile for a different processor is to change the target processor architecture in EVC++. This is a case of clicking on a dropdown, then selecting SH4.

I can cover that one
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2004-10-28 8:46 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Really? Someone i know said it was a pain to compile for the sh4.....
 Top of the page
Snappy!
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-11-26 11:09 PM
#
Hi all,

I am a to-be-NEC-MobilePro790 or 780 or 880 or Sharp Mobilon PV6000. I am currently using a Tungsten T3 with ultra-thin keyboard. AND Palm has to price their SDIO wifi card at $129 eventhough it is proprietary and does not work on all their Palm products, much less PocketPC or otherwise.

So, I am intending/going to switch to HPC because of its ease of internet access. Palm ... *DUH*

Then I saw this thread. Does the current web browser have problem with common sites like YahooMail or hotmail or Google?

In any case, like someone said, Mozilla is open source, just need to port over to HPC platform. I dunno if there is any project started already, but I'll set some time to go and download the source for Mozilla and check it out.

No promises, but let's see what happens ya?

Snappy (direct 2 system A T yahoo dort com)

C-Amie - 2004-10-25 10:19 AM

programsynthesiser - 2004-10-24 8:44 PM

Ok, I personally have to rant myself - here it is.

Has anyone here thought of starting the development themselves? I mean, mozilla and firefox are open source! Why go after the developers to make something they don't need when you can just join the project itself or port it on your own? I mean, I personally am going to take up programming on my j720 the second I learn, and I'll try to fix some of these problems on my own. But seriousely, if something for an obsolete system has to be made, it will have to be made by the people who use it themselves. Come up with a new emulator that works, do it all. Palm OS has that kind of community, but CE doesn't seem to. If we all want something, we are going to have to do all the dirty work.

It is easily said and I'm sure it has been flashed through more than one brain around here... but...

Hands up all the high level C++ programmers

*tumble weed rolls by*

Anyone who wants to start can get all the bits from here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/developer/

Admitedly a more powerful approach to eVT is to have Visual Studio 6 and the CE Tool Kits... but neither are free.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-27 12:45 AM
#
H/PC Elder

My early posts always come back to haunt me...
Anyway, congratulations for becoming a soon-to-be hpc owner! Always nice to see new people getting these wonderful pdas..
As far as web browsing, most sites can be accessed, and with a few hacks, many more. But as far as yahoo mail, that can be accessed with npop, a mail client (out of the box outlook doesn't work right) npop is better anyways. Hotmail can also be accessed by that, but it will also work through internet explorer because hotmail nicely recognizes the pda as a pda and reroutes you to the mobile login page. (looks as good, actually more reasonable and lighter) Google instantly works, no problems at all, probably the easiest page for these devices to get to. If you mean gmail though, it doesn't work through the browser, (I think something to do with javascript, I will probably find a way around that) and it will not work with npop/outlook either because as far as I know they don't support secure logins. All that I get to is npop saying gmail when receiving, so it definitely makes a connection. No mail can be downloaded though. (Yes I did enqble pop3 in my gmail preferences)

-By the way, who wants a gmail invite! I have 6 and would like to get rid of them. (Make that 3, some are reserved)
 Top of the page
Snappy!
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-11-27 10:31 AM
#
programsynthesiser - 2004-11-27 12:45 AM

My early posts always come back to haunt me...
Anyway, congratulations for becoming a soon-to-be hpc owner! Always nice to see new people getting these wonderful pdas..
As far as web browsing, most sites can be accessed, and with a few hacks, many more. But as far as yahoo mail, that can be accessed with npop, a mail client (out of the box outlook doesn't work right) npop is better anyways. Hotmail can also be accessed by that, but it will also work through internet explorer because hotmail nicely recognizes the pda as a pda and reroutes you to the mobile login page. (looks as good, actually more reasonable and lighter) Google instantly works, no problems at all, probably the easiest page for these devices to get to. If you mean gmail though, it doesn't work through the browser, (I think something to do with javascript, I will probably find a way around that) and it will not work with npop/outlook either because as far as I know they don't support secure logins. All that I get to is npop saying gmail when receiving, so it definitely makes a connection. No mail can be downloaded though. (Yes I did enqble pop3 in my gmail preferences)

-By the way, who wants a gmail invite! I have 6 and would like to get rid of them. (Make that 3, some are reserved)

Nice! So if it works with these common sites, then there is no urgent need to port Mozilla or something (at least for me! )

gmail invites ... cool, doesn't get better than that! Thx!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-27 3:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Snappy! - 2004-11-27 7:31 AM
Nice! So if it works with these common sites, then there is no urgent need to port Mozilla or something (at least for me! )gmail invites ... cool, doesn't get better than that! Thx!
You will understand why we all want a new web browser soon... (web pages not loading on first try, Internet Explorer constantly crashin, no autofill for typing in websites)Other than that its fine! Anyone who wants a gmail invite just send me a private message, but remember, I only have 3.-I'm gonna have to get used to that perty little purple star under my account. (What I'm dying, no!!!) lol
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-27 8:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh I am so sorry for being against it before. But I had no idea that Dillo's source was not only 400k (!) but it has also already been ported to the ipaq! If I would install Linux on my Jornada 720, it would work instantly, but I actually prefer Windows CE in this case. But it has already been ported to the ARM processor! WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?!  Lets port this thing to Windows CE already!!! www.dillo.org for all the people like me who ignored Chiarks earlier posts about it. This could get us where we want to be in very little time!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 30