x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

If there was a modern Psion or HP Jornada type computer that ran full Windows, would you buy one?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »
If there was a modern Psion or HP Jornada type computer that ran full Windows, would you buy one?
OptionResults
yes (I would pay up to $600 to 900)35 Votes - [67.31%]
35 Votes [67.31%]
yes (I would pay up to $901 to $1500)2 Votes - [3.85%]
2 Votes [3.85%]
yes (I would pay up to $2000)1 Votes - [1.92%]
1 Votes [1.92%]
no14 Votes - [26.92%]
14 Votes [26.92%]

CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-03-03 10:30 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2008-03-03 12:17 AM

The review notwithstanding, I like the U810's size and design - just trade Vista for XP and I'd be happy. How much is that little thing going for right now?

It's $999 for a NA version.
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?serie...
 Top of the page
mobilesalesman Page Icon Posted 2008-03-03 2:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ZSX - 2008-02-27 4:03 PM

I think it is clear from the poll that most people would be happy to pay up to USD$900 for a device the size of a Psion/Jornada which runs Windows/Linux/OSX or some other x86 OS. Perhaps the follow on question should be what minimum battery life would be considered acceptable for such a device at that price point.

I keep beating the same drum, but with current battery technologies, a full range of connectivity options (BT, WLAN, WWAN, GPS) and a bright high-res screen (say WXGA minimum), we are looking at something with a 2 hour battery life tops, if that. Even the OQO Model 02 has a theoretical life of 3h on the 4500mAh battery, and in reality it is closer to 2 hours. A 9000mAh battery is over USD$100 alone, and as we know the 02 UMPC costs over £1000.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but there is a reason why small, cheap, full-functioned and good battery life don't fit into the same package. Most devices mentioned in this thread hit only 2 of the 4 criteria.

I think that 2-4 hours is an acceptable battery life so long as the battery is removable. The reason is being mobile I do not want to carry a computer in a computer bag, man purse, etc. The beauty of the Jornada and Psion type devices are their easy to type keyboard yet small footprint that allows them to be carried in an inside jacket pocket everywhere. The downside is the lack of being able to run business applications, etc. on programs only made for the desktop. If MS did not abandon the OS maybe more software could be available but I am forced like others to use both the Jornada, and a laptop.

One concept that never made it to market was the Dualcor PC. That was supposed to have windows mobile and windows where you could switch the OS and save battery life. That would be ideal so that you can use word, and simple outlook features saving battery life for the times when you need a business specialty application and or wireless, etc.

If OQO can make a full windows with wireless smaller than a Jornada it would make sense that the extra real estate making it the size of a Jornada one would provide a the same touch type keyboard of the Jornada but whom knows the extra 35% volume might be used for a larger battery or a dual OS like the dualcor?

Devices like the Fujitsu, Libereto and others are still too large so you need a carrying case and that would look like a "man purse". Not something socially in the mainstream but for geeks that might be ok, but not for me.
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2008-03-04 7:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The thread is too big for me to review, but has the HP UMPC 2133 been mentioned here? It looks like it's the revival of the Jornada
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-03-04 8:35 AM
#
H/PC Elder

msafi - 2008-03-04 12:30 PM

The thread is too big for me to review, but has the HP UMPC 2133 been mentioned here? It looks like it's the revival of the Jornada

Yeah it has but it has an 8.9" screen so is not anywhere near the same size as a J720...

Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-03-04 8:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

edit... double post

Edited by mr-mac 2008-03-04 8:48 AM
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-03-04 9:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

mobilesalesman - 2008-03-03 7:30 PM

Devices like the Fujitsu, Libereto and others are still too large so you need a carrying case and that would look like a "man purse". Not something socially in the mainstream but for geeks that might be ok, but not for me.

I'm pretty much resigned to carrying a "man-bag". Lifehacker did an interesting post on what people carry their gear in, and my post is here. At the time I was using my Izzi-Pro as my main H/PC, but have since moved on to a MobilePro 900c. Judging by the number of people submitting their bags and contents to the website, you'd be surprised at just just how socially mainstream "man-bags" are now, even for non-geeks.

Of course I am a geek - and proud of it!
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-03-04 11:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I am going to mention a rather tenuous rumour of a new UMPC from Willcom of Japan which is supposed to be running on Intel's Atom (a.k.a. Silverthorne) platform. Akihabara News is saying that it will be on sale in July this year and be running Vista.

Jenn from Pocketables took pictures of what may be the device at CES. Although it is hard to get a sense of scale, if this is indeed the new UMPC it may well be what many of us are looking for. Of course, we will probably never see this device outside of Japan.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-03-04 11:28 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-03-01 8:57 PM

Windows 2000 is a great OS - you just can't get a new PC with it.

(Oh, and the Sony UX-50 is a a Clie, not a Vaio - it's a Palm OS handheld. )

wow smart comment, i have an ux40 so i know what the ux50 is.
i was simply agreeing with you that the vaio ux series is similar to the old palm ux series in terms of hardware size... well the ux40 is better in usability just the keyboard is so similar...
re-read the post i replied to orginally and maybe it'll make more sense

Edited by cmonex 2008-03-04 11:30 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-03-04 11:49 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

willcom? nice..

i saw the lg and benq prototypes at 3gsm at intel's stand. under glass in a similar fashion

lg's looked like a bit overgrown htc wizard/hermes! approx 5" lcd, slideable keyboard which looked usable. as small as a jornada. woo woo.

didn't take pics, didn't have camera with me (i know silly.. at 3gsm without a camera but i didn't even know we were going to be there.)

Edited by cmonex 2008-03-04 11:50 AM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2008-03-06 4:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

mobilesalesman - 2008-03-03 11:30 AM
One concept that never made it to market was the Dualcor PC. That was supposed to have windows mobile and windows where you could switch the OS and save battery life.

The HTC Shift runs both OSes just like the Dualcor was supposed to.

The Fujitsu is a lot smaller than the Libretto U100. It might even fit in a larger jacket pocket, especially if you opt for the smaller battery, which gives it a measure of 171 x 133 x 26.5 mm (according to Cnet Asia http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050490,40571041p,00.htm).

Yes it's still much deeper than a Jornada (189 mm x 95 mm x 34 mm), but it is close to a Sig3 (189 mm x 117 mm x 21 mm).
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2008-03-06 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

A bit OT, but for the "man purse" issue... I was using a shoulder bag (I prefer this term) for the Jornada. I don't always wear a jacket, especially in the summer. Nowadays I have kinda turned to the dark side, and only carry a thumbboard PPC phone with me all the time, but I still use a shoulder bag on those days that I really don't want to wear a jacket.

A few years back, I think it was 2003, when I started using shoulder bags, I did get a lot of unfriendly questions like "why do you carry a purse?", which would quickly turn into "you can go on the internet with that?" as I whip out the Jornada from my "purse". But nowadays, there are so many men with shoulder bags, at least in my area, no one really questions it anymore.

That being said, I can still understand men who don't want to carry a bag. But personally I think belt clips are worse.
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-03-07 4:19 AM
#
H/PC Elite

takwu - 2008-03-06 10:08 PM

That being said, I can still understand men who don't want to carry a bag. But personally I think belt clips are worse.

Hear! Hear!

On a related note, if you were waiting for Vista on the Silverthorne/Atom processor for your UMPC/MID don't get your hopes up too much. Computer Base (German) has just done benchmarks on the new processor, and although it is very low in energy consumption, their tests make it out as even slower than the old Celeron-M (Dothan)!

You really can't have it all...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-03-07 5:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2008-03-06 10:27 PM
The HTC Shift runs both OSes just like the Dualcor was supposed to.

not really, until we find a way to hack the crippled WM6.

takwu - 2008-03-06 11:08 PM

hahaha yes i agree.

ZSX - 2008-03-07 10:19 AM
and although it is very low in energy consumption, their tests make it out as even slower than the old Celeron-M (Dothan)!

You really can't have it all...

oops. i'm typing on a laptop with this dothan celeron, and it's quite fast for all things i do on it... how come i'm still alive?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-03-07 7:22 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

edit: well this cpu finished at ~1:10 but lots of apps were also running and i see the new one is 1:48, still, faster, than my old pc which finished in.. well i'm not telling you
and i'm still not dead
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-03-07 7:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Touché!

Actually I agree with you; my notebooks run the gamut from Cyrix (remember them?) to the super speedy (not!) Pentium MMX. Half of them run Windows 98 and the remainder run Puppy Linux or DSL. In fact my fastest notebook processor is a Transmeta Crusoe with XP.

They all work, but sometimes I do wish I could put the respective PCs out of their misery!
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.375 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 14