x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Velo 1 dug out

pcspike Page Icon Posted 2008-02-17 12:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

Just dug out my old Velo 1 (CE 2.1) to put back into service. When I load the software onto the PC, I get a Remote Access Service (RAS) error message and cannot proceed any further. I presume that this is due to using XP? I would appreciate any help that any can provide so I can get this old favourite back in action.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-02-17 1:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I don't think Velo has a CE 2.1 OS. If I'm not mistaken, it's either CE 1.0 or CE 2.0 with the ROM upgrade. If it's 1.0, c:amie has developed a way to get the desktop software to work with XP. Check out the tutorial section in this site.

If it's 2.0, you can go with a flavor of Activesync (try version 3.8, also available on this site).

Jake
 Top of the page
pcspike Page Icon Posted 2008-02-23 6:40 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Jake,
Thanks for your reply. Downloaded and installed Activesync 3.8, it makes all the right noises, but I get a error message stating that it is not compatible with the device. Just to confirm, the ROM card is CE2.0 and it has the Velo 8 MB DRAM card installed. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Spike
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-02-23 8:33 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ah, wait: are you using Vista? If you are, all is lost. None of the AS 3.* will work on Vista. Check the AS tutorials here on this site, and they'll tell you which works with which OS/device. I don't have Vista, so I'm not certain, but I don't think CE 2.0 devices will work with the Vista-compatible AS versions.

Jake
 Top of the page
pcspike Page Icon Posted 2008-02-23 8:39 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

No, I'm using XP (Home)?

Edited by pcspike 2008-02-23 8:41 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-02-23 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hmm, weird, never heard of such an error. Try uninstalling AS, reboot, reinstall, reboot, all the while making sure that the Velo is NOT connected by its cable (you do have the cable, right?).

Then go to Velo and in Control Panel, choose PC Connection, then choose serial cable and pick the highest baud available (on the Velo, I think it's 19K), save that, close out Control Panel and connect the machine to computer via cable.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-02-24 8:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to CE 2.0 Support
 Top of the page
pcspike Page Icon Posted 2008-02-24 1:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
Yes, I am using the cable, and as mentioned befor the Velo does react when connection is attempted, but the pc does not.

Dave
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-02-24 3:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Jake's comment notwithstanding, I believe that up to 115200 Kbps is already available on the upgraded Velo as a connection speed (as part of the CE 2.0 core). (If I'm wrong about that, up to 115200 can still be added as a selection by using "Make New Connection" on the Velo.) Try different speeds, however, as sometimes there are issues with some CE 2.0 devices connecting at 115200 Kbps. See this page for details:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0025.asp

You may also want to check the COM port settings in the Control Panel on the PC to make sure that the ports are working properly and have the correct settings.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-02-25 6:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Can you made doubly sure that you are using 2.00, and not 1.00. The error message you mentioned, and the lack of 115.2K support by default tells me that you are using CE 1.00, not 2.00.

See: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0108.asp
 Top of the page
pcspike Page Icon Posted 2008-02-25 6:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
You are correct! The system screen shows Version 1.0 (build 809-811). The miniture card fitted is Windows CE 2.0? How can this be?

Dave
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-02-25 8:59 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The card may not be seated correctly. Velo didn't make the greatest slot. Pull out all batteries, wait five minutes, install ROM card first, then batteries, and see. Work using an a/c adapter if you have one.

CE Geek--I'm traveling, so don't have access to the Velo, but if I'm not mistaken, 115K isn't a drop down option in Control Panel/PC Communication, even in 2.0. I remember having to do what you suggest, the Make a New Connection deal--only from there could I choose 115K, though it's been a while and I don't have the machine to refresh my memory

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 26