x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Bye Design Ltd SpreadCE 2.02

[Frozen]
Frozen
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-03-16 3:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

In the beginning there was Windows CE 1.0... but that was quickly replaced with Windows CE 2.0, then subsequently H/PC Professional, but for all of these transitions - not a whole lot changed inside Pocket Office.

So before way back then, long before anyone had even heard the name "SoftMaker", one company took it upon themselves to change the way that we did spreadsheets on Windows CE; and that company was Bye Design Ltd.

SpreadCE was refreshed as recently as last October, and remains under development - offering a far broader set of mathematical capabilities over Pocket Excel and most significantly offers charting abilities - in a much lighter, much cheaper footprint compared to its rivals.

John Ottini delved into the numbers and tabulates his thoughts on the latest release of this H/PC Classic.

Read the review and have your say here on the forums!

View: Bye Design Ltd SpreadCE 2.02
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-03-16 7:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yet another thorough and helpful review by John. Covering all the features of the program step by step, the review has shown me good reasons to consider buying this software. I'm always hesitant to fork over $20 or more for an H/PC program (especially when there are free alternatives), expecting little in the way of future support and/or upgrades as software developers abandon the H/PC platform one by one. In this review, however, John shows clearly what makes this program far superior to Pocket Excel, while making equally clear the developer's continuing commitment to the H/PC platform.

Nice work, John - and nice work, Stephen Bye!
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-03-19 10:34 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2008-03-16 7:04 PM

Yet another thorough and helpful review by John. Covering all the features of the program step by step, the review has shown me good reasons to consider buying this software. I'm always hesitant to fork over $20 or more for an H/PC program (especially when there are free alternatives), expecting little in the way of future support and/or upgrades as software developers abandon the H/PC platform one by one. In this review, however, John shows clearly what makes this program far superior to Pocket Excel, while making equally clear the developer's continuing commitment to the H/PC platform.

Nice work, John - and nice work, Stephen Bye!

Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2008-03-25 11:10 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'll second that - an excellent review.

And you're right John, Stephen does reply quickly to e-mail. After reading the review, I e-mailed Stephen a question about upgrading (sometime in the next few months, when I need to move up to a 790 fulltime). He replied within a couple of hours and based on his reply and the review, I bought the program.

I'm not a speadsheet junkie by any means, and may not use the program to it's full advantage, but I figure it's import to support H/PC developers.

BTW, this is just another purchase I've made based on your reviews, either here, or in The Handheld PC Newsletter.

Keep up the good work and keep the reviews coming...

Rick
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-03-25 1:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hey Richard

Thank you for the kind words and thanks for still finding the HPC Newsletter relevant!

I go through long periods of time where I don't hear anything from the readers and I begin to wonder whether anyone is actually reading it?

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-03-25 2:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Now, stop that, John. You have the download numbers yourself.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-03-25 2:28 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2008-03-25 2:19 PM

Now, stop that, John. You have the download numbers yourself.

Do'h
evieabston Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 3:57 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I am a little confused which version to download for my mobilepro 880. Please help.
thank you
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 5:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

HPC MIPS should do the trick
evieabston Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 6:18 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you So much
evieabston Page Icon Posted 2008-03-31 6:49 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I tried installing the program in my MP880, but I am not sure what the instructions are saying. It says use Activesync on the PC and open an explorer window on your p/pc. copy the spreadce.exe file and paste it into the \windows\start menu directory on your P/PC
I don't know what that means
I am confused again
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-04-01 1:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You don't have to do all that. You just copy spreadce.exe (from the MIPS H/PC download ZIP package as C:Amie mentions above) onto the 880 and run it by double-tapping on it. That last part about \Windows\Start Menu is just a way of making it show up on the Start Menu - but you don't have to put the whole program there.

Simplest way:
1) copy the MIPS H/PC version of spreadce.exe onto a CF card, and put the card in the 880;
2) navigate on the 880 (using "My Handheld PC" ) to the location of spreadce.exe on the CF card (Storage Card2 if you're using the CF slot on the 880);
3) in the menu bar select Edit -> Copy; and
4) go to \Windows\Programs (NOT \Windows\Start Menu - that's for the Palm-size PC, which is what "P/PC" refers to, and what the screenshots are from on the developer's site) and select Edit -> Paste Shortcut from the menu bar.

You now have a link to the program in the Start Menu on the 880.
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9