x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

1000Mbit
1000Mbit Page Icon Posted 2008-04-05 5:40 AM
#
Has anyone managed to install Garmin XT or any Garmin software on a WinCE 4.2/5.0 device?
Would be great if this was possible...
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2009-01-07 5:38 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yes, but it's not "official". There are hacked versions of it floating around that are modifed to run out of the box on CE 4.2/5.0 core devices but I can't link you to them here. Try doing a google search close to "garmin mobile wince 5.0" (without quotes) and you will probably find the modified binaries. I'm not sure about the legality of this. Their app is freely downloadable and while this is a hacked versions of it, you still need to buy the maps if you want to actually activate and use it.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-01-07 9:45 AM
#
H/PC Elite

There can be no question of the legality; it's illegal. Garmin's license agreement, in part: "You agree not to decompile, disassemble, modify, reverse assemble, reverse engineer, or reduce to human readable form the Software or any part thereof or create any derivative works based on the Software."
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-01-07 10:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

In saying that Iso,

I think most companies see that as a rule to stop people producing new software based on their work or stealing their code, making software running without paying for it etc. etc.

Not sure all that many companies (at least ones with techy people in control) would view a minor change to make it run on hardware that will result in revenue for the maps would really be that upset.

If you, however, are using a cracked version and have hacked maps that are not payed for I see that as a diffrent thing altogether.

I know... I am not talking letter of the law here but what I feel would be closest interpretation to the activity they are trying to stop. Effectively, IMHO anyway, changing the name of a DLL file belonging to the OS that the software calls is not actually altering the software. Just re-directing a call to use an OS component. Effectively the software is exactly the same.

Ok before anyone starts I know netfront went totally overboard. I think the term to hack an app scares people due to the use of the word Hacking being turned into a term to mean breaking into systems.

Perhaps we should call what we do to make apps run on another device (OS resource change). sounds a whole lot less scary and doesn't make it sound like somthing nasty to non techy people.

I have route66 software running on my smartbook. Now redgear works so that is fine but originally I had to run it through xscale to arm (think a diffrent coredll file). I contacted their tech support before buying it (their tech support dept doesn't seem too big and the person I was deally with was well informed). I said I wanted to try and run R66 V8 on a CE .net 4.2 device which is obviously unsupported and mentioned I would need to run their .exe file through an Xscale cpu to Arm cpu convesrion (which just searched and replaced a new command to the older equivilent) and possiblly alter some of the OS dll names the software called to make it run.

The response I got was as long as I wasn't dissasembling the software or altering the way the software worked they were happy for me to try and make it run on CE .net 4.2 and I could even return it for a refund if I couldn't get it to run.

Just an example of how companies differ on this and I suppose if you were to ask express permission to do this nearly every company would say no but they will turn a blind eye. As long as you are not steeling from them (either the code it'self or the selling price of the software.)

John.

PS that all said I think redgear is a great bit of software and makes Route 66 WM5/6 software run without alteration (though installer doesn't work as it is compressed) and I would think is defo worth testing with any other nav software that released versions for PPC/WM
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-01-07 11:51 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I don't think NetFront got "scared" by the term "hack"; from reading their letter, they were clearly aware of what minor changes were occurring, but still found it undesirable. Even changing it "just to make it run" is illegal, and some companies may care; they may pursue their rights and threaten this or other sites with cease and desist letters, just as Access Co. did. Although one can debate the intrinsic morality of the current intellectual property situation at length (and this has been done on the other thread extensively), at this time such activity is still illegal in most jurisdictions.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2009-01-08 1:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

mr-mac: It's interesting that Route 66 responded that way. Great for them! It's good to know not all companies are as insane as Access and that makes me want to actually purchase something from and support a company like R66.

With that said, doesn't R66 already offer native CE 4.2/5.0 versions of their app for PNA OEM use? Still, I guess those can't be ontained legally through the normal retail channels so you had to use their retain PDA version...

Edited by TFGBD 2009-01-08 2:02 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8