x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HTTP Referrer

> Evil E. <
> Evil E. < Page Icon Posted 2008-04-05 9:49 AM
#
Do web browsers (using default settings) on Pocket PC's, H/PC's, PDA's, PDA phones, SmartPhones, etc. also send the "HTTP referrer" (like their big brothers' counterparts) when browsing a site or not ?
And what "pocket" browsers do/don't send the HTTP referrer ?

C:Amie : you can probably answer this best since your site handles lots of traffic originating from devices like these, you might have some relevant info in your server logs.
Can you perhaps give me some more info regarding this matter ?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-04-05 11:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Generally speaking, if you are planning on creating a PD9 mod that relies upon ref addressing for access gatekeeping - don't. It is unreliable.
Very old browsers will not support it. Windows CE 2.00 and lower will not send ref information. Anything that states Mozilla 2 compatiblity *should* send them, however I doubt that it is true to say that all will simply because a lot of people didn't know what they were doing at the time. CE 2.10 and above will send ref information, as will modern PPC and Palm browsers

The biggest issue that you have in doing this isn't legacy though (they form such a small minority). The issue you have is with firewall and security software, which will concatenate the information into it's ownuniquely annoying identifier, or simply send nothing. Avast is guilty of such sins I believe, there are also plugins for firefox which blank the response header.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wysiwyg://
field
*++++*/
xxxx:
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2008-04-05 6:20 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was just thinking, maybe that's a key to a great browser for H/PCs! think, you can make it HTTP client and ...... just my 2 cents.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-04-06 7:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

stingraze, I'm not following your thought here. Please elaborate.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8