x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

USB/ Serial Cable Adabter for Intermec 6651

1 2
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-11 9:08 AM
#
Hi, I am brand new to handheld and this site. I just purchased an Intermec 6651. I have a laptop that has nothing but USB and one connection that is female. I need a cord that will totally support USB for syncing or a cord that has a male end prong. I am very new to the handheld and I am unable to us my Intermec until I can find a cord that works with my laptop and Intermec. I would really appreciate anyone’s help on this. I would just really like to get this device up and running so, I can use it. Therefore, as of now I am not able to use my Intermec 6651. I heard this was a great site to get answers.

I would really love to learn more about my options with this unit like after I am able to sync for the first time. Will I be able to use it like a normal laptop? I have a linksys router and I do have the network PC Card Linksys... I was told if I could synchronize the first time this should work fine without the PC. Well that probably is for another thread. I really appreciate the any feedback on this.
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-11 3:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi, and welcome!

If you're thinking of connecting to the PC through the Intermec's USB port forget it. That won't work

If you have the original serial cable for the 6651 you can get a serial to USB adapter and then connect to your laptop.

Most modern laptops have infrared ports which can be used for beaming files to and from devices - does your laptop not have one?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-05-11 3:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Unless you had an old laptop that had a standard 9 pin d type serial connector...it just isn't going to happen for you without spending lots of money on extras and such.

There are two main reasons for synching...one is to install additional software to your device. In your case, I suggest that you buy a simple pcmcia to CF card adapter...normally around $5. Then you can copy files (CAB files) to a CF memory card, and then put the card in your Intermec and install the programs to it.

If it is critical to synch your mailbox on your Intermec to your laptop, then you will have to try something else, like exporting your mail to the CF card and inporting it on your 6651.

Someone mentioned infrared transfer, and that is a good and inexpensive way to go as well.

The other reason for synching is usually remote access to another computer or logging onto the Internet via the synch connection. Get a wired/wireless wifi card and you should be able to do that, and if you have a POP3/SMTP ISP, you should be able to check your email using the included mailbox program while you are busy surfing as well.

Rich
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-12 7:17 AM
#
Lextre, . My laptop is new about 2 years old and it does have a female infrared port and I do have the orginal serial cable but it is female also. So I can buy an male adapter to fit this?

Rich, Let me see if I understand what you are saying. Like I said this is very new to me. So if I purchase a pcmcia CF card adapter (now this is the CF memory card also? I insert into my laptop and copy files to it and then insert that card into my Intermec and load the files onto it? Okay, what is (CAB files)? "sorry" You said get a wired/wireless wifi card is this card here the same thing?( I have the network PC Card Linksys.) I was told by the person I purchased it from on ebay. That I would have to sync the first time before I could use the wireless and after that I could use the wireless anytime. I do want to install pocket money onto my Intermec.

Okay guys, I have another question for you also.. I have an external floppy drive. I connected it to the Intermec. but I could not bring up anything. Unlike the normal laptop I go to my computer and click on the A drive to bring it up. The Intermec does not have that option. Unless it is notated diferently in the Intermec. Can help me on this one?

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME GET GOING ON MY INTERMEC.

Edited by armymom84 2005-05-12 7:37 AM
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-12 1:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

OK, think about how you will use the Intermec. If you want to use it as a standalone device (eg, as a laptop replacement) then go with Rich's suggestion and get yourself a card reader which, combined with a desktop/laptop will aid you in file exchange and software installations for the 6651.

However, if you want to use it as a PDA and be able to 'synch' data (eg, calendar, tasks, mail, etc) with your desktop/laptop then the serial cable or infrared would be the way to go. Infrared is acceptable in terms of speed so that shouldn't be a problem.

Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-12 1:47 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

armymom84 - 2005-05-12 12:17 PM

Okay guys, I have another question for you also.. I have an external floppy drive. I connected it to the Intermec. but I could not bring up anything. Unlike the normal laptop I go to my computer and click on the A drive to bring it up. The Intermec does not have that option. Unless it is notated diferently in the Intermec. Can help me on this one?

I don't think you'll get that floppy drive working and I'm not sure why you'd need to with Compact Flash cards being relatively cheap. I have an external USB floppy drive which came with drivers for Windows CE but have never got it to work properly with the Intermec anyway.

Incidentally, is your 6651 running Windows CE 2.11 or HPC 2000?
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-12 2:01 PM
#
This is what it has I purchased this off of ebay... I going to try to attach the page with all it has on it and OS Microsoft HandHeld PC 2000 (WinCe v3.0)

The external floppy I bought for my regular laptop. Thank you so much for helping. I'm going to best buy now to find the adabter and the card.
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-12 2:07 PM
#
This is what is on it

Intermec Unit Details:
- 7.1 Inch, 800x480 Touch Screen (64k colors )
- 32 meg ram
- Toshiba MIPS CPU
- 320x240 camera
- Headphone jack (for mp3)
- Ports: 1x USB. 1x Compact Flash slot, 1x Type I PC Card slot, 1x Phone Jack, IR port
- security lock port
- Instant ON,
- Boots up in 2 seconds after a reset.
- OS Microsoft HandHeld PC 2000 (WinCe v3.0)
NTERMEC 6651 PACKAGE:
- Intermec 6651 unit
- Serial PC connection cable
- Power cord/ charger

EXTRAS
- 802.11b wifi PC card (wireless internet and sync to pc)
- extra battery pack
- Kingston 512 meg CF storage card
- Logitech Mini Optical Mouse
- New carrying bag.
- CD with 650+ megs worth of software I paid for and downloaded
click link below to see list of stuff on the CD

The external floppy I bought for my regular laptop. Thank you so much for helping. I'm going to best buy now to find the adabter and the card.
Thanks again for helping me... I will post back later to let you know if I was a success at syncing it.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-05-12 3:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Forget the floppy idea. The Intermec 6651 does not have drivers to support the disk drive (or any mass storage device for that matter). The drivers, if there are any, would have come with the floppy drive when you bought it, and then you would have needed drivers for Windows CE 2.11 or 3.0 depending on which version of operating system is on your Intermec. Originally the Intermec came with Handheld Professional (WinCE 2.11), and then later they offered a upgrade for HPC 2000 via a rom chip substitution which is the WinCE 3.0.

As someone else mentioned, unless it is important for you to be routinely synching your "to do" list, or your "contacts" back and forth, then using a serial cable and Activesync is a luxury...not a necessity.

If you only need to be able to install programs and transfer files back and forth, consider the CF memory card route, or even cheaper, consider buying an ATA flash memory card. Take a look at this eBay auction: 6768285582

For only $15 you get a card that will hold over 100mb of information...which is more thanyour Intermec can hold several times over. You can insert it into your Intermec and play music from it, or copy files to and fro. You can then remove it and stick it into your laptop pcmcia slot and again move files to and fro, or listen to the same music or whatever.

When you download a program file to run, usually (not always) the file expands itself to your desktop or laptop and then installs itself onto your handheld device. If your device is not connected, then normally the program install CAB files are stored in a folder on your hard drive where it just sits until the next time that you sych the computer with your handheld. This spot where these CAB files sit is normally the C:\WINDOWS\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT ACTIVESYNC subdirectory. Normally you will see different versions of the CAB files for both MIPS and ARM cpus, and often SH3/SH4 as well within that folder.

To install the files manually, all you would do is drag the MIPS version of the CAB file you want to your ATA or CF card, and then put the card into your handheld and when you locate the file...tap on it and it installs the program to your handheld. It is just that simple. Normally the install CAB file deletes itself when it is done.

Whether you use a CF card with an adapter, or an ATA card makes no difference. Most people like the CF/Adapter route because of the small size of the cards, compatibility with some pocketpcs, and other reasons. I have both that I use and both work fine.

It is great that you have the serial synch cable...the are hard to find and increase the value of your Intermec considerably. You mentioned you had a female infrared port? I think that must have been a typing error. Did you mean a female serial connector? That would be rare and unusual too as nearly all host serial ports are male. Count the pins...if there are 15 holes then what you are looking at is most likely a VGA out port for an external monitor.

Rich
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2005-05-12 7:13 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Try the 9-pin male to 9-pin male gender charger if your NB serial port is female as
your 6651 sync cable
http://photos9.flickr.com/13610176_cd26f95ab5_o.jpg

There's a CAB for USB floppy driver
http://www.logitec.co.jp/down/soft/fdd/lfd31u.html#Chapter4
just click the yellow "Get it!" icon to download
Try every USB FDDs on the market and you may find one......
Somebody tells us the brand and model that 6651 can use???
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 7:17 AM
#
Guys, I got usb serial cable and it works great. but I see now that I do not really need it. But I will keep and store it away to have if I ever sell the Intermec. But I did buy the network PC card for CF flash. It works great!! That was it.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP I COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU!!

Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 1:04 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Just curious: What's the USB serial cable's manufacturer?
Can you post a picture for that cable?
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 4:05 PM
#
Hi AKG

THe MFG is Iogear and below is the link to their website and a picture of the model I purchased for my Interemec

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC232A

Take care
 Top of the page
JOHN, Sweden
JOHN, Sweden Page Icon Posted 2005-05-15 6:12 AM
#
armymom84 - 2005-05-11 9:08 AM

Hi, I am brand new to handheld and this site. I just purchased an Intermec 6651. I have a laptop that has nothing but USB and one connection that is female. I need a cord that will totally support USB for syncing or a cord that has a male end prong. I am very new to the handheld and I am unable to us my Intermec until I can find a cord that works with my laptop and Intermec. I would really appreciate anyone’s help on this. I would just really like to get this device up and running so, I can use it. Therefore, as of now I am not able to use my Intermec 6651. I heard this was a great site to get answers.

I would really love to learn more about my options with this unit like after I am able to sync for the first time. Will I be able to use it like a normal laptop? I have a linksys router and I do have the network PC Card Linksys... I was told if I could synchronize the first time this should work fine without the PC. Well that probably is for another thread. I really appreciate the any feedback on this.

Hi All.
Since 2 days I am a happy owner of the 6651 too, may I ask a question (your answers concerning the CAB files have solved some of my "problems", How to directly print from the 6651 using USB?. COM? I have eg Canon s100 USB. Where to find drivers, Should I have com to usb adapter? HELP. One more. I have problems with the pen. After adjusting the pen I observe that the "pen\s active point" moves. Do you have the same problem? Is it normal? What to do? Should I hard reset? I would like to use it at the meetings and run handwriting recognition? Calligrapher 6? will it work? I wanted to ask you one question but I finished with a long story. Please HELP. Rgds, John, Sweden
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-15 6:42 AM
#
Welcome John, As you can tell I am very new to and trying to understand and learn how to use the Intermec 6651. I am linking using the USB Serial Cord. In my last post I linked an website to the one I purchased. I like the usb. But I purchase mine at best buy. But I am sure you can get one cheaper on Ebay. I am having problems installing programs that they say are for win ce.. I have been looking for a good personal finanacial download something similar to MS money or quicken.. It has been very frustrating. I have yet to connect to the internet. But I am taking care of one problem at a time. Active Sync 3.8 is the newest. I also purchased a compact flash PC Card Adapter to load files on and transfer to the Intermec. but still I can not install any programs :agry:
I hope this help.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10