x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows Embedded gets renamed

ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-04-16 5:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Microsoft constantly feels a need to rename its products, not always for the better (witness Smartphone -> Windows Mobile Standard), but this time I think it makes sense.

The Windows Embedded family of products includes the following:
• Windows Embedded Standard. The next generation of Windows XP Embedded. The next product release is currently forecast for 2008.

• Windows Embedded Compact. The next generation of Windows Embedded CE. The next product release is currently forecast for 2009.

• Windows Embedded Enterprise. A fully application-compatible embedded operating system that over time will gain a broader set of embedded enabling features. Today this product group is composed of Windows Vista and Windows XP for Embedded Systems and is licensed exclusively for embedded device development.

• Windows Embedded POSReady. The next generation of Windows Embedded for Point of Service. The next product release is currently forecast for 2009.

Press release

No more CE! Now it is known as Windows Embedded Compact. 'WEC' is certainly a better acronym than 'WinCE'.

Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-04-16 9:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thanks for the heads up: posted on the FP
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-04-16 9:18 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i liked WCE more than WEC.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-04-16 1:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, but WinCE does look kinda like a facial expression (wince).

So the last ingredient in Windows CEMeNT (CE+Me+NT) is disappearing.

Anyway, the more popular myth seemed to be that CE stood for "Consumer Electronics," which kinda made more sense since the OS seems to exist far more in embedded systems than in mobile computing devices.
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-04-16 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

ZSX - 2008-04-16 2:10 AM

Microsoft constantly feels a need to rename its products, not always for the better (witness Smartphone -> Windows Mobile Standard), but this time I think it makes sense.

The Windows Embedded family of products includes the following:
• Windows Embedded Standard. The next generation of Windows XP Embedded. The next product release is currently forecast for 2008.

• Windows Embedded Compact. The next generation of Windows Embedded CE. The next product release is currently forecast for 2009.

• Windows Embedded Enterprise. A fully application-compatible embedded operating system that over time will gain a broader set of embedded enabling features. Today this product group is composed of Windows Vista and Windows XP for Embedded Systems and is licensed exclusively for embedded device development.

• Windows Embedded POSReady. The next generation of Windows Embedded for Point of Service. The next product release is currently forecast for 2009.

Press release

No more CE! Now it is known as Windows Embedded Compact. 'WEC' is certainly a better acronym than 'WinCE'.

I'd called it WinEC as a successor to WinCE.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.157 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 30