x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

peter Page Icon Posted 2005-05-13 12:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Australia-Sydney.
Hi all, long time ago I bought a new ce1 Casio Cassiopeia 4mb A-11A handheld. In my (?) wisdom did not buy the ac adaptor. Bought Grandcell rechargeable alkaline batteries to power it. Did not realise these batteries eventually freeze all LCD displays. so could not not use my Cassie for 3 years. Three weeks ago checked it and wow! the screen came to life again. Bought rechargeable NiMH and it's great again. ....no colour, 4 greys, small keypad. Connected it (eventually talking with old compaq 32mb win98 laptop).
BACK IN BUSINESS AGAIN--SO HAPPY. I'm a primary teacher. 57 yrs old...but 3/12 after original purchase (yeah! kept all original docs/manual etc) found a cd with dozens of SOFTWARE (MOSTLY FREEWARE) programs, Titled CE PROFESSIONAL -software for windows CE.
Now I can transfer to laptop and use floppy for Laptop transfer to main xp windows pc.
I'm looking forward to reading all the forum chats about HHPC and CE1.
ps, all my equipment is still in mint condition.
Is there anyone who would like help, as I'm sure I could also need help myself in some areas.
(all spelling is Aussie English)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-13 2:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi.

Quite an entrance, welcome.

The board here is to provide help for people... CE1 included as you can see... but I'm not sure what you're asking of us when asking if there is anyone willing to help... help with what?

(All spelling in the mother tongue)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-13 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I think Peter is offering his help with CE1 all help is appreciated. That’s great your HPC got to working again. Did you do anything special? My Cassiopeia stopped working about a year ago, I decided not to go through the expense of fixing it, your story may make me get it out and give it a try again.
 Top of the page
peter Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 9:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi,I'm happy to know I can inspire anybody out there in the entire "dark matter" universe.
What I did as to take out all batteries - including backup- then let it rest ( I really gave up on it, to tell the truth).
After much research on the Internet discovered the 'no-work' cause was the rechargeable Grandcell batteries which have a bad effect on any visual display unit or anything with a chip. The only thing they don't destroy apparently is a motor. I have used all brands of AA batteries and the only two which are any good appear to be TOSHIBA/PANASONIC.
I have just bought -1 week ago-for $26.95 from local junk shop (our term for cheap goods shop) the Panasonic Quick charger with two NiMH batteries included and the result is a fantastic improvement in speed and tone control on my Cassie.
Today I bought another two of the same batteries for change control [when the first 2 get low, i swap with 2 already charged...and so on and so forth].
ps. I used the Backlight >>>non-stop for 10 minutes<<<< with no deterioration in power or performance. Unbelievable!!!!
I put in new CR 2032 backup battery as well.
Good Luck!!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 9:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What rating are you using on the cells?
I have 1600 and 1800's in my 320/MC16's and they'll recharge while in the device too. Like you I have swap-out sets, AA's make life easy compared to these new fangled Li packs
 Top of the page
peter Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 10:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hello there
Charger is Ni-MH Panasonic BQ-326 charging 2xAA and 2xAAA simultaneously (including NiCads).
Batteries vary from 650 to 2400. My junk shop had only the 1600 so that's the only choice, as all other retailers charge twice as much for same batteries.
Cassie came with a cd which had Quick Notes- freeware touchscreen handwriting stylus program. Very handy for freenoting.
oops

just read my cd with "freeware"-they are actually "demos and shareware". sorry about the misinfo i gave in my 1st message.
happy typing to all.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 3:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

peter - 2005-05-14 3:44 PM

ps. I used the Backlight >>>non-stop for 10 minutes<<<< with no deterioration in power or performance. Unbelievable!!!!
Good Luck!!!

it should be natural that there won't be any deterioration if you use the backlight for only 10 minutes...
i can't believe there are batteries that crap?!
 Top of the page
peter Page Icon Posted 2005-05-16 9:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yes, there are batteries that last only that long - i've had crappy batteries that have lasted only 7 mins with continuous backlight.

My dad is hungarian. alive & well at 83. Still have heaps of cousins & 2 aunts in Budapest & Tatabanya.
 Top of the page
peter Page Icon Posted 2005-05-16 10:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi there - did you get it to work again ?
I'm intrigued.
good luck
peter
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-16 11:18 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

peter - 2005-05-16 3:54 PM

My dad is hungarian. alive & well at 83. Still have heaps of cousins & 2 aunts in Budapest & Tatabanya.

WOW
i know Tatabanya as well! maybe even him! (ok, not much chance for that )
funny, you're not the first here who has Hungarian relatives so many of us all over the world...
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-06-17 1:40 AM
#
Grandcell's batteries are crap- I bought a whole heap of them and after using them heavily in my Hewlett Packard 320LX Palmtop PC for only 6 months, they were warn out, requiring replacement!

Instead, I use Enegizer's 2500mAh "Rechargeable Digital" batteries...

I am a VERY heavy user of my 320LX Palmtop PC and use the backlight 99% of the time, yet I still get 3-4 solid days of use (sometimes I even get up to a week)!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9