x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My new ASUS Eee

1 2 3
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-07-01 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I suggest a portable DVD player case. That is what I use. They are big enough for everything you listed, and are pretty cheap. Here is a Link
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-07-01 10:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Dup

Edited by Yoldering 2008-07-01 10:40 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-07-02 6:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
ASUS users have got to check out this:

http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/asus-eee-pc-900-with-touch-sc...

I don't have the cajones to do the mod myself, but that guy has made his 900 quite the machine.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-07-02 6:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you do a search on eBay, there are a ton of ASUS EEE digitizer kits with everything you need....
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-07-02 7:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

You don't know how many times a have almost put a pen mark on the screen of the Eee. nevermind the Eee... I have a hard time mot screwing up my other monitors... A touch screen would me a nice extra feature in the Eee.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2008-11-25 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I may be the next to take the eee plunge.....walking through Target with the wife recently, when we passed the 702 8g with XP for $300 US. They also have it online w/linux for $270. I saw the look in her eye when she saw how I was looking over the eee, so I won't be too surprised to find one under the tree at Christmas. I know I'll miss instant-on, but it's become clear that I need a device with full-blown windows for the teaching I do. If I do get it, I'll likely sell most of my HPCs, though I might hang onto the MP 790.

If it weren't for the teaching, the HPCs would be all I'd need.
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2008-11-26 12:31 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

PDXMark - 2008-11-25 9:13 PM

I may be the next to take the eee plunge.....walking through Target with the wife recently, when we passed the 702 8g with XP for $300 US. They also have it online w/linux for $270. I saw the look in her eye when she saw how I was looking over the eee, so I won't be too surprised to find one under the tree at Christmas.

Yeah, with the new Atom-based UMPC's out there, the old 700 series EeePC's are getting quite inexpensive.

Of course, for $350 you could get an UMPC with a 1.6GHz dual-core Atom, 1 Gig RAM and a 120GB hard drive (not SSD drive, just an old-fashioned platter drive). If I didn't already own an Eee, I might jump on an MSI Wind Book for that price. Unfortunate that the comparable Eee 900 series is $150 more.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-11-26 5:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I agree with btrimmer--that's a high price for an obsolete model. Since it's the same form factor, definitely go for an 8.9" screen. Be aware that several 90* models have a battery issue (battery drains 10% daily when machine is off). Check forum.eeeuser.com in the 900 section for more details.

The HP UMPC has issues with Vista, so I've heard, slow and clunky. But I've heard good things about the Wind. The Atom-based EEE models do not have drain issue (a simple workaround for the 900 and 700 series [which also has drain issues] is to physically remove battery).

I have a 900 and I've learned to live with it--the battery drives others crazy to the point of RMA.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2008-11-26 5:36 AM
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-11-27 2:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Actually, after the recent Netbook Pro disaster, I'm considering getting a Samsung N10. In all the reviews it got very high marks and it's not expensive. Too bad it doesn't have a touch-screen tho

SainT
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2009-01-24 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

PDXMark - 2008-11-25 6:13 PM

I may be the next to take the eee plunge.....walking through Target with the wife recently, when we passed the 702 8g with XP for $300 US. They also have it online w/linux for $270. I saw the look in her eye when she saw how I was looking over the eee, so I won't be too surprised to find one under the tree at Christmas. I know I'll miss instant-on, but it's become clear that I need a device with full-blown windows for the teaching I do. If I do get it, I'll likely sell most of my HPCs, though I might hang onto the MP 790.

If it weren't for the teaching, the HPCs would be all I'd need.

Update: My wife did give me the EEE for Christmas, but we ended up returning it a couple days later because it was unbearably slow, especially web surfing. Also, it had only a 4gb ssd, rather than 8gb, and 512 mb ram. I looked through online forums and other users reported that the eee models sold by Target are slower than other eees. After returning the eee, we dropped by Best Buy and bought an Aspire1 for the same price ($300) with an 8gb ssd, gb of ram, plus an 8gb sd card. The Aspire has been great - speedy surfing and good performance overall. I also installed SoftMaker Office 2008 (the aspire didn't come with Office), which I'm really pleased with.

Even so, I can't quite give up on my hpc's.......obviously, since I'm still here. But my almost 8-yo daughter has adopted my mp790 as her own.....she loves playing solitaire and typing notes to all her friends.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11