x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My new ASUS Eee

1 2 3
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-05-03 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Welcome to my first post from me new ASUS Eee
Yes, I did it! Today I went and bought me one of these great little machines! so far I really like it. The start up time is quick. The internal WIFI card works great, the connection is very quick to connect. The keyboard is a great size. I have already typed three pages worth of my term paper. The Linux OS is fast and responds very quickly. Battery life I have not checked, I would like a better battery meter though.

It came with open-office, a lot of other programs I will find very useful. I have not had time to play with it yet because of this darn homework. I like the firefox version that this computer uses. Iq is also very quick. Awesome computer for the money!

Edited by Yoldering 2008-05-03 3:52 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ASUS1 (72KB - 46 downloads)
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2008-05-03 4:12 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Wich version did you get?

I plan to get one, wich would have been sooner than later, but i finally found a Wii on a whim at the store a couple of weeks ago, wich i have been wanting just as much...

So time to resave the cash so i can get a eee
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-05-03 5:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It is the 2g surf. Here is a better photo. I didn't realize that the last one was saved as a DAT file.

(ASUS.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ASUS.jpeg (72KB - 78 downloads)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-05-05 10:52 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Just so you all can see the size difference, I took a few photos of the Eee next to my MP.

(MP vs ASUS1.JPG)

(MP vs ASUS2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MP vs ASUS1.JPG (43KB - 13 downloads)
Attachments MP vs ASUS2.JPG (46KB - 10 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-05-05 12:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Curious Yoldering,

What is the distance in inches from the left corner/edge of the A key to the right edge of the L key on your new Asus?

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-05-05 12:36 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-05-05 4:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich,
The measurement is 5 and 7/8 inches from the A to the L. Just a little smaller than the MP.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-05-05 5:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That's not bad at all as my Dell laptop is 6 3/4".... was curious because your pictures were just a little too small to tell on my work computer.

Now can you change to OS on those EEEs...to say Win 98?

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-05-05 5:02 PM
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2008-05-05 5:49 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2008-05-05 5:01 PM

Now can you change to OS on those EEEs...to say Win 98?

The SSD is just a hard drive as far as the BIOS is concerned, so you can install anything you like on it. Getting Win98 to run might be tough because of hardware compatibility and lack of driver support. WinME might be better. (I can't believe I actually said that, but anyway...) Win2000 and WinXP work just fine. With a great deal of persuasion, it's even possible to install XP to an external USB hard drive and get it to boot.* Various flavors of Linux work on the EEE, as does DOS. Just make sure with any variety of Windows, that you have Virtual Memory turned OFF, or you can chew up the flash SSD in a hurry.

Oh, and hope you like your new shiny Yoldering. I have one of the first batch 4G models (with the larger battery and Webcam, as well as the second mini-PCIe slot) and it's great.

*(Installing to the USB drive is easy. Persuading XP to use USB as a boot device is *much* harder. XP loads drivers in stages. USB Mass Storage is normally a Level 3 driver - meaning it loads *after* the Explorer shell has started. Boot device drivers have to be Level 0 drivers - meaning they load before the boot menu is displayed. The default USB drivers in XP will work as Level 0 drivers - you just have to change a bunch of configuration files to convince XP of this fact. There are reasonably good instructions on how to do this out there, though.)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, XP works just fine as long as you set it up properly. Having 2GB of memory doesn't hurt either (the default RAM is 512MB for all models but the 8G, which has 1GB by default). The EEE uses a single DDR2 667 SODIMM for laptops, which are dirt cheap these days. I got mine for $25, with a $5 rebate to boot. Worth every penny to upgrade the RAM. Now if I could just find an SSD for that second mini-PCIe slot....

Edited by btrimmer 2008-05-05 5:55 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-05-05 6:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The machine came with a XP install CD with all drivers required for the XP install.

The really great thing about this PC is that I don’t have to sync to add anything.

I am working on a review of the 2g Surf (About two pages so far.) I PM'd C:Amie for permission and advise. I have never written one before.

I am getting married in 5 days, trying to find a new house to buy, working on a term paper, Working on a promotion at work, I have about 4 chapters of homework on Wednesday, have a final on Wednesday, a presentation on Wednesday, and really stressed right now.

Laura, my fiancée, will be graduating from Texas State University on the same day as our wedding (graduation at 10am, wedding at 4:30pm, starting a new job, and she has the same concerns that I just mentioned. So she is quite stressed also. BTW, I didn’t tell her about the Eee purchase till after I bought it. But that is ok because she new I was looking for a new laptop.

I can tell you now that I am VERY happy with this computer. The limitations on upgrade are the only issue I have found. However, I don't think I will need the upgrades. I will not have an OS change because I have found that the Linux OS is great on this PC.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-05-05 10:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Do let us know if you find any way to sync Kontact (Xandro's du jour calendar/contact app) with any of your HPCs.

Jake
 Top of the page
KimChee Page Icon Posted 2008-05-06 10:44 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Congrats I am totally happy with my Eee Pc as well. I'm running a chopped down version of xp and it is running great. There are other people on the Eee Pc board who are happy with 2k sp4. I'm very happy with the speed of the ssd, and I have an sdhc for storage.

Ram isn't upgradeable on the 2g surf it's soldered to the board, by the looks of it you'd have to be a robot at soldering to get new ram installed. Now get a crystal case and you'll be good to go
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-05-09 12:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was curious to see is the Eee would take a GE wireless mouse that I gave my dad a few years ago. I plugged it is, pressed both buttons at the same time, and it installed instantly. So the drivers are already installed. Now I have a wireless mouse that is very small. Pretty cool. All I can say it that I really like this computer a lot!!!
 Top of the page
BlueZed
BlueZed Page Icon Posted 2008-05-16 2:43 AM
#
Neat. I have a Cloudbook/Devbook that came preloaded with XP but I was also look at the Eee. These small laptops are a blast.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-05-16 11:00 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I took my Eee to class on Wednesday night and it was a big hit!!! It was pretty funny because one of the guys said... and I quote "Did you see his toy computer?" No one had ever seen one of these up close. After he had a look at it, he was really impressed. That guy was an operations manager at Dell. He said he might go buy one.
Everyone wanted to look at it. Most of the people were lugging around big Dell/HP laptops, and there are only a few A/C outlets. There I was plugging away on battery power. The class is 4 hours long. I was the only one in the class that could pick up a wireless signal and connect to the internet. The Wi-Fi signal is pretty weak in that area of campus.

Another great thing! One of my friends is selling me a Dell 17" flat panel monitor. I plan on hooking it up to the Eee tonight to see how it works. I will let you all know...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-05-16 12:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

New toys are so much fun...
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 12