x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

rom dump - custom roms for bsquare powerhandheld (maui)

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
perazz Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 5:54 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi cmonex!
I've tried your new patch: it works greatly!
I've then been able to load your OS into RAM correctly;
now I'm going to try "my own" OS version... I'll post it here!
 Top of the page
perazz Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 9:06 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I'm stuck in creating my own bsquare image ...

I've:
1) dumped the rom of my phh
2) cut the data in order to get NK.GZ
3) unzip using gzip and got NK.bin
4) run cvrtbin -r -a 94200000 -l 2b4aa38 -w 32 NK.bin
and got NK.nb0
5) tried to run dumpromx to add some files... putting them in a folder called "infiles" and then running the command

dumpromx -a infiles NK.nb0

But it prints some error messages, like "cannot find the pointer for ofs 000000" and then is stopped by windows XP ("an error has occurred in dumpromx.exe"...)

I think I've made something wrong ? Or is it dumpromx that I've to call in a different way?

Edited by perazz 2008-05-24 9:06 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 11:20 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

UPDATE

I've flashed a patched bootloader and the proofofconcept OS too. I made a mistake earlier the OS must be named NKGZ.GZ

the patched bootloader natively features the things the bsquarebootloaderhack_final1.exe does for you. much more convenient when the patches are actually flashed. and with this patched bootloader, you can always resort to a RAM OS load (I wonder if we could implement persistent storage, though maybe only cenet 4.2 supports it. but if we can, a RAM OS load ability is a must to be able to clear the registry etc with a non booting OS.)

but anyway here are files and steps.

steps to update the bootloader

attention: do every step very carefully, this is a bootloader update!

1. download: http://hpcmonex.net/bsq/SABOOT_patched_update.ZIP
2. download: http://hpcmonex.net/bsq/bsquarebootloaderhack_final1.exe
3. copy bsquarebootloaderhack_final1.exe to your bsquare and run it. it should say everything got written OK - if not then please do not go further and contact me. you probably have a different bootloader version in that case and I'd need to see it. (to develop patcher for it too)
4. unzip SABOOT_patched_update.ZIP and copy it to your SD card.
5. I will assume that you have verified the SD card works properly, by successfully loading a RAM OS (following steps on earlier page in this thread)!!!! if you haven't, then please do so (I'm paranoid because Bsquare (the company) made the 900c bootloader too and there was a buggy version.)
6. ok, now, press and hold R+B while resetting until you see it starts to update flash. itshould finish quickly and then cold boots.
that's it

steps to flash an OS

this isn't really risky.

1. I will assume you have done the bootloader update above!! if you didn't yet then do so. if you don't want to update the bootloader (which is fine), then you will have to know how to set an SD card to be bootable in case the OS gets stuck while flashing and stops booting!! with the patched bootloader, you don't have to bother with setting a bootable partition and you can also do RAM OS load easily (very good if you want to flash test roms, just RAM load them to test).
2. download: http://hpcmonex.net/bsq/gzip.exe
3. gzip can compress the OS image for you properly. I will assume the OS is named NK.BIN (and is a MS BIN format already) syntax in cmd: gzip nk.bin nk.gz
4. name it NKGZ.GZ then put it on SD card
5. press and hold R+O while resetting until you see it starts to update flash. it should then boot the new OS.
that's all i think

--------------

perazz - 2008-05-24 3:06 PM

I'm stuck in creating my own bsquare image ...

I've:
1) dumped the rom of my phh
2) cut the data in order to get NK.GZ
3) unzip using gzip and got NK.bin
4) run cvrtbin -r -a 94200000 -l 2b4aa38 -w 32 NK.bin
and got NK.nb0
5) tried to run dumpromx to add some files... putting them in a folder called "infiles" and then running the command

dumpromx -a infiles NK.nb0

But it prints some error messages, like "cannot find the pointer for ofs 000000" and then is stopped by windows XP ("an error has occurred in dumpromx.exe"...)

I think I've made something wrong ? Or is it dumpromx that I've to call in a different way?

don't worry, this needs a bit of learning
please check out my rom tutorial

the ofs000000 is no problem

as for the folder...dumpromx doesn't like it if the same file name(s) already exist(s) in the image, so add those separately, not from a folder. the rest can be added from a folder

one thing... dont forget to use the ce3 cecompressv3.dll! just rename it to cecompressv4.dll (cenet 4.1 uses ce3 compression.)

anyway if that goes well you should try xipport...
its features are crucial for bsquare, we don't want to waste space with unused non deleted files in the OS, dumpromx can't do that

but I'm writing a new program that makes all this much easier

Edited by cmonex 2008-05-24 11:25 AM
 Top of the page
Jesus Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 3:55 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks CmonITex, we are studying and observing your fingertips with admiration. Well, if I am not wrong, try to utilize VTune also, as it can examine for lags in the Os, and aplications. The rest of the folks might instead of pretending not being arround give suggestion which applications they would like to have on their new machine, so le'ts see what contemporary things are allready available for NET4.2, or above. Some of it might, depending on memory space, be implemened in the custom Rom, while, the rest individualy installed as wished in the usual way . Go forward with fancy applications you saw or tried, or liked.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-25 2:31 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

I forgot to post link to OS image in case someone needs to reflash stock OS (or upgrade the older firmware version)

http://hpcmonex.net/bsq/NK2_GZ__24May2008_1_52-4041.zip
 Top of the page
perazz Page Icon Posted 2008-05-25 7:42 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex - 2008-05-24 5:20 PM

don't worry, this needs a bit of learning
please check out my rom tutorial

the ofs000000 is no problem

as for the folder...dumpromx doesn't like it if the same file name(s) already exist(s) in the image, so add those separately, not from a folder. the rest can be added from a folder

one thing... dont forget to use the ce3 cecompressv3.dll! just rename it to cecompressv4.dll (cenet 4.1 uses ce3 compression.)

anyway if that goes well you should try xipport...
its features are crucial for bsquare, we don't want to waste space with unused non deleted files in the OS, dumpromx can't do that

but I'm writing a new program that makes all this much easier

Ok, so I only had to add some 0-byted space at the end of my .nb0 ?

I've then run:
xipbin NK.nb0 0 NK.test 94200000

Now, reading the 900c beginners ROM mod it seems that I've to paste into my NK.test the original NK.bin kernel section?

Edited by perazz 2008-05-25 7:43 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-25 2:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah the file must have space to insert new files.

no, the kernel thing is only for 900c, as tutorial says, please read a bit more carefully

did the new image boot?
 Top of the page
perazz Page Icon Posted 2008-05-25 3:26 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

No, it doesn't boot

when the loading from external device has almost finished, the progress bar resets to zero and restarts from the beginning; then, after few time, the "starting..." label appears, but the phh hangs there...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-25 5:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ah yeah test it as RAM OS first... if it woks just GZ it and flash, heh.

can you upload the image for me?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-27 5:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

I realized, dumpromx probably erased copyentry for NK to boot.

I can help fix that.
 Top of the page
mmarks Page Icon Posted 2008-05-28 5:21 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Please excuse my ignorance here. It's a long time since I used my BSquare and this thread re-opened my interest in it.....

Does this incredible finding mean we will have the ability to load Windows Mobile 6 or ce/net 4.2 on our BSquare?
 Top of the page
Jesus Page Icon Posted 2008-05-28 9:17 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

The almighty's ways are unattainable
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-28 9:18 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

get me the BSP from Bsquare (the company), then sure.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-28 1:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Jesus - 2008-05-28 6:17 AM

The almighty's ways are unattainable

A fitting quote from a man named Jesus.
 Top of the page
Jesus Page Icon Posted 2008-05-28 8:41 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Ok, so everybody interested in upgrading the Bsquare Maui OS, should contribute by getting in touch with IT students or developers, personaly, teachers, lecturers, scientists, repair shops, USA, Canada, Asia, China, Taiwan, Japan, IT archives and softwear libraries, above the ground and beneath the surface, and ask them if they have in posession a CD with a Bsquare BSP, for with Win Ce .NET 4.2 board support package for some device that runs an intel Xscale pxa250; pxa255 processor.
It is also esential to get the softwear called Accelent Systems' Schema BIOS Configurator, www.accelent.com. www.insidesoftwear.tw
So get on working, folks.

Edited by Jesus 2008-05-28 8:44 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10