x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Do You RSS?

1 2
Do You RSS?
OptionResults
I LIVE by RSS
I like RSS but I'm okay if I miss a day or two
I read RSS but only a few times a week
RSS is cool but isn't for me
What's RSS?

clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-05-16 9:01 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Okay, poll time.... How many of you use RSS? To my knowledge there is not a RSS reader for H/PCs (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) and I would love to see one developed. But does anyone use RSS?

I'll admit, I use RSS like there's no tomorrow. Fundamentally I get all of my news via RSS as well as updates on a variety of topics including things from Microsoft, Cisco, NASA and even Battlestar Galactica from SciFi (Yeah, I'm a geek like that). But when I talk to Clintonfitchdotwife and PhotoAngelMemory, neither of them could give a rip about RSS.

So what gives? Do you RSS or not? Vote and post your thoughts!
 Top of the page Quote Reply
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 3:49 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

"what's RSS" is how I voted

I know what it is of course but never ever touched it

qmail3 can do RSS for hpc's but that's not a dedicated RSS client
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 4:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I voted "What's RSS?" too, cuz I've never gotten familiar with it. There were, however, two members here (tsdave and Jorkapp) who put RSS readers for H/PC together:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3890&pos...

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3789&pos...

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3651&pos...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 6:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

RSS has been one of those technologies that has conflicted with my backwards, set in stone internet browsing habits. I have tried to use it, I have even got several running in IE7. The fact of the matter was that outlook sync integration got on my nerves after a while, and the little default RSS app in Vista isn't exactly anything to write home about (as with anything on that sidebar).

So, despite the fact that I have them setup, all in all I never find myself looking at the lists, let alone clicking anything.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 8:37 AM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2008-05-17 3:22 AM

I voted "What's RSS?" too, cuz I've never gotten familiar with it. There were, however, two members here (tsdave and Jorkapp) who put RSS readers for H/PC together:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3890&pos...

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3789&pos...

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3651&pos...

Ah! This is good to know. In my time away I did not see these posts.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 8:38 AM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2008-05-17 2:49 AM

"what's RSS" is how I voted

I know what it is of course but never ever touched it

qmail3 can do RSS for hpc's but that's not a dedicated RSS client

That's fine if it isn't dedicated so long as it can do it. Thanks for posting on this!
HPCer Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 11:58 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm with Cmonex and CE Geek. I know what it is but I never tried it.

Edited by HPCer 2008-05-17 11:59 AM
Jesus Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 7:47 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

This reminds me of my desperate hesitation on askng a geek what is it all about, as many computer and news oriented sites offer RSS feeds, and this topic caught me laughing of relief and reminded me the tittle of the book "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About S, But Were Afraid to Ask". even the more ingenious members here hardly use RSS, it seems.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 8:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Me ingenious? Now that made me laugh.
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-05-19 8:22 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I use RSS loads. In fact, Google Reader is my home page on all my portable devices with a web-browser. I susbscribe to about a dozen feeds, loosely divided into current affairs and techno-gadget news, as well as a few odd blogs like Boing Boing.

What would be really great is if HPC:Factor had an RSS feed for the forums - it would let me keep a closer track of any new developments on it!
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-05-19 10:04 AM
#
H/PC Elite

ZSX - 2008-05-19 7:22 AM

I use RSS loads. In fact, Google Reader is my home page on all my portable devices with a web-browser. I susbscribe to about a dozen feeds, loosely divided into current affairs and techno-gadget news, as well as a few odd blogs like Boing Boing.

What would be really great is if HPC:Factor had an RSS feed for the forums - it would let me keep a closer track of any new developments on it!

You can :-) Visit http://www.hpcfactor.com/news/rss/ and you can subscribe to various parts of the forums which will update when a new topic is posted. Note it won't give you the downstream replies, only the top level posting.
dougzy Page Icon Posted 2009-04-20 12:38 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I've never really gotten into RSS, as the sites I want feeds from never seem to work - I couldn't get hotukdeals.co.uk going despite many tries, so it's not for me
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2009-04-23 4:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I voted for living by RSS. I'm a journalist and it's on the computers we use at work and it's nice having it run in a corner of one of the screens to keep me updated.

I also remember the original threads about tsdave and Jorkapp writing RSS clients and also remember saying to myself that I'll have to try them out. Unfortunatly, I never did (we were looking for a house at the time, then buying one, then renovating... you know the story - never enough time).

Well, I sat down last night, downloaded tsdave's client (couldn't find Jorkapp's reader) and tried it out on my 780. It crashed a couple of times while I tried to figure it out, but after I got it going it worked very well.

Now to load it up with a dozen more sites...

Rick
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-04-23 10:53 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I used to use RSS feeds quite a lot a long time ago. I used them on my desktop when I had Trillian, since it had a plugin for displaying them in the contact list window, and I also read them on my PocketPCs (and even PalmPCs) over the years. However, those days are long gone. Nowadays for me it's almost just as easy and quick to visit the site and read the articles myself. This is even the case on my n810, where the default browser (and even the webkit-based alternative that is available) is good enough to do this just like I do on my desktop.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-04-24 5:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So many things to learn, so little time left in life....
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.269 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 18