x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ANN: Forums E-Mail Verification

1 2 3
donL0001
donL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 6:44 AM
#
C:Amie - 2008-05-24 5:51 AM

Very strange then, I have been over the failure returns and there is NOTHING from comcast in it what so ever. I have sent a couple of manual mails to you Don, let us see if you receive those.

As of 10:36 BST this morning we have 683 failed returns, 728 forum members have successfully verified.

I sent you an email as well asking for a reply. But I have seen neither a reply nor any of your manual emails.

OTOH, I continue to receive a normal supply of both normal emails and junk.

Did you at least receive my email?

International border problem???

Thanks, Don

Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 6:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Don,

I replied to your request for a reply an hour and a half ago. You weren't getting forum notifications either were you?

Sounds like this is part of a wider issue. Is there anyone else with a comcast address who IS receiving site notifications?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 7:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

> Evil E. < - 2008-05-24 11:33 AM

COPYCAT !!!

lol !!!

I see that your forum version is starting to look more and more like mine these days, Chris... Looks like your getting your ideas from a place that I know extremely well.

P.S. : instead of adding the "ANN:" (announcement) designation to the subject, why don't you sticky the thread ?
Then it would stay at the top where it belongs. Adding the "ANN:"-header won't do that, and I believe that this thread should be at the top of the forum, at least for a while. Technically, sticky threads are anouncement threads that require the attention of the forum users. That's what they're designed for. (hence the "Announcements"-header line and the separator that are added at the top when you have stickies in a forum)

Ah Evil one, I was expecting you to have turned up and beamed at us all last night - I am genuinely surprised that it took this long.

We have not been able to do this before because our SMTP server was as reliable as the English weather. Within a week of getting the new one, here is the mail authentication. To be honest I haven't looked at your beta board for a long while, but I suspect that the implementation isn't too dissimilar aside from my lack of willingness to get it integrated into the PD9 admin area (which needs deleting completely and rewriting proerly). Still, a kudos to you as ever for all the wrk that you have done for try and kick ASP back into life.

Thanks for explaining that, it's not as if I have any awareness over what sticky threads are for or anything
I am not going to sticky anything in here, the only reason why it is in here and not in HPC:Factor Related Discussion is because I wanted to flash it on the RSS feeds as soon as the validation system was enabled last night. It will get discussed in the HPC:Factor discussion board eventually, but I do not want concurrent threads on the same subject; and yes will probably get stickied for a while once moved.

Right now if you miss this thread, the home page news, the two RSS feeds with it in, the site help documentation, the e-mail's and the Windows Live Messenger alerts - I doubt that a sticky will save you from yourself

Don,

Although I have no idea why it would be necessary, I have contated comcast's service division to request SMTP whitelisting just in case they saw us as a threat. The contact system said that it was manned 24/7, so hopefully they will get back to me (har har har). I even gave them my cell number.

We are getting a validation through every 2 minutes at present
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 8:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Here is a response from Comcast:

We have received your request for removal from our inbound blocklist. After investigating the issue, we have found that the IP you provided for removal is currently not on our blocklist.

So they do not believe that they are blocking our mail.
> Evil E. <
> Evil E. < Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 8:33 AM
#
C:Amie - 2008-05-24 2:15 PM

Ah Evil one, I was expecting you to have turned up and beamed at us all last night - I am genuinely surprised that it took this long.

Well... Yesterday (friday) I got up at 03:30 Hrs to start working, and I clocked out at 20:15 Hrs. As I work in the construction sector, it's not like I have to "push around (heavy) papers and pens or similar exhausting things like that" (that's a little sarcasm thrown in to laugh at you white-collars ), the things that I have to do are a "little more demanding"...
I have had an extremely busy week at work (that's what happens when the weather is good). I was fairly tired yesterday so I got into bed at 23:00 Hrs, and woke up at 11:00 Hrs today... heheh... 12 hours non-stop...

We have not been able to do this before because our SMTP server was as reliable as the English weather. Within a week of getting the new one, here is the mail authentication.

Aaaaahhh !!! So you are done worrying about mailing problems ? That is excellent news !!!

To be honest I haven't looked at your beta board for a long while, but I suspect that the implementation isn't too dissimilar aside from my lack of willingness to get it integrated into the PD9 admin area (which needs deleting completely and rewriting proerly). Still, a kudos to you as ever for all the wrk that you have done for try and kick ASP back into life.

AFAIC ASP is still very much alive, hence my efforts on the new forum version. And as it turns out, I was right to put my time in it (see PM ).

Thanks for explaining that, it's not as if I have any awareness over what sticky threads are for or anything

lol... I just found it awkward that you would create an announcement thread with subject headers without stickying it, that's all.

I am not going to sticky anything in here, the only reason why it is in here and not in HPC:Factor Related Discussion is because I wanted to flash it on the RSS feeds as soon as the validation system was enabled last night. It will get discussed in the HPC:Factor discussion board eventually, but I do not want concurrent threads on the same subject; and yes will probably get stickied for a while once moved.

Ah, I see. I guess that explains it then.

Don,

Although I have no idea why it would be necessary, I have contated comcast's service division to request SMTP whitelisting just in case they saw us as a threat. The contact system said that it was manned 24/7, so hopefully they will get back to me (har har har). I even gave them my cell number.

We are getting a validation through every 2 minutes at present

@Don : it's possible that the comcast mailserver(s) is/are to blame for this. I have encountered similar problems with other companies as well. You need to contact them and ask if they can investigate this issue thoroughly. And keep harassing them with your questions about it until they actually do properly investigate it (because some companies don't bother and they just vertically file your complaint). You are entitled to having a properly working mail function next to an internet connection, that's what you pay for.

@C:Amie : you won't receive anything at your end, not even a read message receipt if you requested one. The e-mail does get sent but it seems to end up in a void in the receiving mailserver...

Maybe it's good idea to push comcast from both sides in order to find the cause (and hopefully a solution as well) of the issue ?

Another possibility is that the comcast mailservers store incoming e-mails for a certain period of time, and check for spam at later times. In this case, the e-mails do get sent to the recipient after a (short) delay, usually something like a dozen of minutes up to an hour or 3-4 or so, but certainly not a day or more.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 8:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

According to Comcast's own blacklist policy, if you are black listed you will receive a 500 range return mail with notification in it every 24 hours, nothing has arrived from comcast at all, and as you can see from the above, they do not have us on their black list.

If it has choked somewhere else then I would expecet a reutrn by 2am on Tuesday morning my time, or, as you say sometimes the system is programmed to just drop the request completely - bad practice as that is.

I do whole heartely agree with > Evil E. < that it might be worth harassing them about this Don, there is a reason why you aren't getting it and nearly 1000 forum users have demonstrated to me that they have in the last 11 hours or so.

The human being that I dealt with on the comcast blacklist seemed pretty adament that it wasn't their mail server blocking it for blacklisting reasons. Comcast could internally have other layers in a hierachy of potential blocking, but I am not prepared to start making inernational phone calls to find out.

Let's hope you're right on the cache side and this sorts itself out naturally

Just to eliminate any theory of transmission overload at our end, I transmitted the verification emails in ascending order or BBS Member ID in blocks of about 2000.

I can see from the non-verified list that there is no consistency to the validation (e.g. in the first 2000), the activities seem to be pretty well spread out across the membership range.
DonL0001
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 12:28 PM
#
C:Amie - 2008-05-24 6:49 AM

Don,

I replied to your request for a reply an hour and a half ago. You weren't getting forum notifications either were you?

Sounds like this is part of a wider issue. Is there anyone else with a comcast address who IS receiving site notifications?

Only received forum notifications very intermitantly over the last year(?)

To review the bidding:

I have sent you two test emails from comcast this morning.

I now believe that you received them both. Is this correct?

I only received the cc to the earthlink alternate email, but neither of the comcast replies. This is NEW information to me, i.e. we only have a problem in one direction, from you towards my comcast email.

Thanks, Don

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 1:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have received and replied to three mails from you now. Two from CC and one from EL.

If the problem is not with us, then it could be with our intermediary (the next server up the chain) partner assuming that there is one. I will need Insurgent to jump into a phone booth, make a quick costume change and fly to our rescue on this one though. The line provider is his baby and totally out of my hands.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 5:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Just my luck. At the same time the e-mail verification went into effect, my e-mail client (through my ISP) went down for almost a whole day. I just managed to complete the e-mail verification a few minutes ago.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 8:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

0138 on the 25th and we have 1071 verified forum members

Please keep problem reports coming into this thread.
Jake
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 9:51 PM
#
Chris,

I didn't get an initial verification email, and then asked the system three times, I think, for one specifically.

I emailed you about this a couple of hours ago, but I'm using the dreaded AOL system, which may account for the radio silence.

I do not find HPCFactor emails in the AOL Spam folder, however, and you and I have corresponded before via my AOL account.

Sorry for the hassle,
Jake
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-05-25 12:20 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Chris,

My emails finally became undammed from comcast (did you fix?) and I have successfully verified. I also sent you a comcast email saying the same thing.

Thanks, Don
insurgent Page Icon Posted 2008-05-25 1:17 AM
#
Administrator
Factorite (Elite)

Apologies for the delay. There was a misconfiguration with the new mail server that prevented delivery to Comcast and a few others. All should be fine now!
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-05-25 6:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

insurgent, do you happen to have a rough idea of the mail domains that would have been impacted by this? I will re-send the notifications for those users?

To All ComCast & AOL Users: I have re-transmissted the Verification Codes for your accounts.
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-05-25 7:05 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2008-05-25 7:00 AM

insurgent, do you happen to have a rough idea of the mail domains that would have been impacted by this? I will re-send the notifications for those users?

To All ComCast & AOL Users: I have re-transmissted the Verification Codes for your accounts.

Chris,

FYI, in my case at least, all of the peviously sent verification codes came through with all the other blocked email, so a re-transmission may not really be needed (but won't hurt).

Regards, Don
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9