x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

for wifi: Linksys or Orinoco Gold ?

1 2
sbabolat Page Icon Posted 2008-05-26 10:32 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Which one do you thinks is best ?

An Orinoco gold (any brand) or a Linksys Wpc11 ?

I know that both can do WEP at 128, and that the linksys can support WPA. under win ce 4.2, but I never really fell upon a wpa network that much.

I will be using one of those cards with a nec mobilepro 900 (not flashed, with the wince 3.0 OS)

An input, hands on on data transfer, signal pick ups capability (which one is best for that), keeping a strong signal (at least sustaining it!) ...

Sebastien

Edited by sbabolat 2008-05-26 10:32 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-27 5:25 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i dont have a linksys but it is prism based... i have other prisms.

as for the things you listed i didnt notice a big difference..
 Top of the page
sbabolat Page Icon Posted 2008-05-27 5:47 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

thanks.

Btw what is this prism about ? what does it do ? Is it better ?

S.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-27 2:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Based on your needs, I'd go with the ORiNOCO. The Linksys WPC11 is problematic, and since you don't need WPA, an Agere-based card like the ORiNOCO will work just fine for you. I've never had a problem with my Agere ORiNOCO Classic Gold.

Edited by CE Geek 2008-05-27 3:00 PM
 Top of the page
sbabolat Page Icon Posted 2008-05-27 2:57 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

merci! I read the review for the Linksys wpc11 (was it yours ?) and saw that you can not see the signal.

I have tried in the past an orinoco with an old mac and was pretty satisfied

S.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2008-05-28 11:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I agree the lucent based cards...orinoco, avaya, etc...are my favorite. for the jornada they have a good interface with built in site scan, easy power saver, etc. They probably use or waste less battery power because my jornada stays cool with these cards and gets considerably hotter from the prism based cards.

I have prism based wifi cards by linksys, netgear, and belkin...I think they are harder to set up and configure onthe jornada 720

I also have a couple of aironet wifi cards for the 720...can't be used on the mp 900c...but I have one in a spare jornada down in southern california (ce geeks neighborhood) which I know will work if the cf card with backup drivers disappears, or batteries go dead...the aironet will keep it connected because the driver is in the 720 rom...

I have the silver avaya/lucent cards...did I hear there is a flash rom upgrade for those?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-29 4:50 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

noo, you can see the signal just fine for prism cards if you are using cenet.

orinoco definitely eats more power than a CF prism card, this is why I prefer prism

though there exists a CF card that is agere based, but i found it was less reliable than my CF prism. so long live prism.

also, it isn't any harder to set them up than agere, just use the right version of the driver (same is true of the agere cards, bad versions won't work)

the 900c custom roms have both agere and prism driver built in (correct versions).

joval: BTW aironet is compatible with the 900c, why do you think it isn't? what happens when you insert the card? is it 340 or 350 series? though from what you say about jornada it sounds like 340, and that *is* compatible with 900c, 900c has builtin drivers for it.

Edited by cmonex 2008-05-29 4:56 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-29 5:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2008-05-29 1:50 AM
though there exists a CF card that is agere based, but i found it was less reliable than my CF prism. so long live prism.

I've never had any problems with mine (Roku Soundbridge) - just did some browsing with it today on my Sig 3 without a hitch.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-29 5:59 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

that's good maybe mine is a lemon... well it does work just a bit flaky
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2008-05-29 9:47 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

cmonex...

I had a netgear CF prism card and it seemed much less power hungry than the pcmcia netgear wifi card...but it was a frail critter and was easily bend...and the darned thing broke an internal connection (which I could not repair..try, try as I may)...so one has to be careful not to bend.

well, I agree on 900c...the set up is easy cuz of built in prism drivers...there the 900c really shines on ease of setup...but on the 720...I spent quite some time learning to set up the prism cards.

aironet...well...everyhtime I placed them (I have 3) in the 900c...nothing happened...no wifi...so that was my assumption...since my 900c's didn't recognize them...but you may well know better than I...do they need a special driver.

Hey...I just received 5 mp 780's thanks to Rich's "cool" post...they seem much like my jornada 680...can these support wifi cards...only saw prism and agere drivers for arm cpu...is there one for mips? their 800x600 9 inch screen is nice...could make them into cheap book readers.

all the best
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2008-05-29 10:01 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I see somewhere along the the line that I have been promoted from "factor fanatic"...a role some would say I played with rather irrational zeal at times...to "factorite(senior)"...which I assume means I am mellowing out some...either that or I have hit the requisite number of posts...like 65...as in age 65...as in senior citizen...senior moment, etc.

which means it's time to work on my avatar and signature...and move up to the official look and feel
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-29 10:19 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

prism: dunno, worked first try for me on jornada 3.5 years ago, it was a joy hehe.. problem came later when i tried using netfront & prism at the same time, see my first hacking thread from march 2005 (got solved of course)

aironet: is it 340 series? just to confirm.

mips is fine with both prism and agere, yes. see HCL.
 Top of the page
KeithK Page Icon Posted 2008-05-29 5:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I bought an ORINOCO Gold on E-bay and it has yet too let me down.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2008-05-29 6:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

cmonex;

correction...it was 5 mp800's that I just received.

I see they run wince 2.11...like the jornada 680?...anyway I did get the prism wifi card working on them...but the ie browser is rather non-functional these days.

anyway to run rdp on these? rdp seems to be made for strong arm and xscale cpu?

my cisco aironet cards are air-pcm342us

btw...my grandmother was hungarian

Edited by joval 2008-05-29 6:56 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-30 6:08 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

rdp for ce 2.11 is downloadable from this site's support/downloads section

the cisco's will work out of the box on 900c. what happens when you insert the card?

p.s.: nice, what was her first name?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10