x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 360LX language difficulty

Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-06-03 12:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I bought a 360LX from UsedHandhelds. It's in Portuguese. How do I change it to English?

P.S. This is a really cool little gadget.

Edited by Nate the great 2008-06-03 12:34 PM
 Top of the page
HPC Freak
HPC Freak Page Icon Posted 2008-09-14 3:43 PM
#
I bought one to - ok .. i figure there must be 3 ways:

1. Find a rom image (or backup) of 360lx with the english version of windows ce in it
2. Find some windows ce language pack for 360lx (can't find one so far)
3. Find the windows ce files for this processor (english) and replace them

Don't have any ideea where to start, so any help would be apreciated
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-14 3:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The 360LX's ROM is not flashable, so 1) and 3) are not an option. Swapping out the ROM with one with the English version of the OS is likely the only solution.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-09-15 7:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You would however have the wrong keyboard on it.

Cmonex and I juggled chips around once so that she could try the 320lx's CE1 chip in the 360, it didn't work. Therefore getting hold of the ROM for the 360 isn't going to be very easy.
 Top of the page
ce the great
ce the great Page Icon Posted 2008-09-15 8:13 AM
#
If someone could find the files or a backup image, you CAN temporarily replace the system files (until the next cold reboot).
After that, you can use a backup utility to store them on a compact flash and that should be it.
All you have to do now is find an english 360lx and copy the system files (\windows) from it - and share them with us
 Top of the page
Ron
Ron Page Icon Posted 2008-12-26 6:07 PM
#
I just bought an english version of the HP-360LX on a flee market.

If someone can tell me how to backup the systemfiles than i can post them or mail them to anyone interested.
I also have all the original system-cd's (incl. Windows-CE)

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to connect the 360LX to a lan-network??

For more info : Spartabrom@hotmail.com.
Only mail in english and German (or dutch )
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-12-27 6:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ron,

Windows CE doesn't work like that, you need ROM extractors to get at the system files (and then any target 360 lacks the RAM to usefully store the OS again.

The "Windows CE" CD you have is the Windows CE Services CD, the forerunner to ActiveSync. Not CE itself (that is 16 CD's).
LAN: Yes you can, have a look in support & the HCL.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-12-28 11:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ce the great - 2008-09-15 2:13 PM

If someone could find the files or a backup image, you CAN temporarily replace the system files (until the next cold reboot).
After that, you can use a backup utility to store them on a compact flash and that should be it.
All you have to do now is find an english 360lx and copy the system files (\windows) from it - and share them with us

well, i have english 360lx, and always wondered how the hell usedhandhelds got hold of those portuguese units. they've had them sitting there for years now.

as for copying the rom files. C:Amie already answered.

now for the 360lx specific details on this, I wrote a rom dumper for MIPS/SH3 CE 2.11 before (nobody before really bothered for some reason), but I'm using VirtualCopy API to do it, and MSDN says only CE 2.10 and later have that.

this does not mean you can't dump the rom of course, just need to target virtual addresses instead of physical (or maybe check how drivers on CE2.0 could access physical addresses, there must have been a way). I'm pretty sure 2.0 doesn't need SetKMode for accessing any virtual address, but must test this. worst case, there is probably another hack to allow CE2.0 threads run in kernel mode (that jlime loader also uses on CE2.0, but never looked at it).
I'll try to dig out my 360lx or other CE 2.0/1.0 machine - but if you are willing to run tests that would be good.

after the rom is successfully dumped, the problem is still twofold.

1. extracting the files, well, I'm sure we can do that, the rom structure is simple enough, but must change compression method (if CE2.0 uses any at all, CE2.11 does and the problem below is the same for 2.11), CE before CE3.0 uses different compression, and I only have the decompression libraries for the CE3.0 and later ones. for overcoming this, my only idea coming to mind is call the decompression functions inside the CE2 kernel, but that's of course not exposed, so that would be more extra fun to find them (calling is not a problem though). luckily the kernel itself is never compressed
of course if they're stored uncompressed that's a nice waste of rom space but easier for us

2. putting the files on the device. you will have to restore the missing (intentionally stripped) relocations for many DLL's, and I have no idea how easy that is for SH3 processor. this part seems the biggest trouble of all. but of course entirely possible, however if we cannot develop good heuristics for the SH3 processor (I could for ARM cpu), this boring task will take an awful lot of time (could be a full hour for bigger dll's, and even if not, there's quite a few dll's altogether).

finally, any resources in coredll.dll, will remain portuguese even after all this effort, because coredll can only be replaced by reflashing the ROM with new coredll (same for filesys.exe but that doesn't really have string resources *iirc*).
the rest of the OS is ok, and you don't have to copy all the OS, just some exe's and dll's and stuff so I don't see the RAM consumption as a real problem. at least it is a smaller problem than the above listed ones.

final note: wish CE 1.0/2.0/2.11 supported MUI's, then you could make it english relatively easily.

also, almost forgot to say. a few files can be copied off the device using totalcommander CE, but that's nowhere near enough, still, it might be a bit helpful for you, and I can check which files can be copied.
(the background behind this is that there's two ways of storing a file in the ROM, one allows you to simply copy the file, the other does not. both ways are used in every ROM)

PS: why don't you register on the forum?

Edited by cmonex 2008-12-28 12:00 PM
 Top of the page
socram2k Page Icon Posted 2009-01-19 10:32 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

i'm very interesting on this because i've just bought a 360LX but mine is in french!!!
I noticed I've got CE 2.0, not 2.1 and I've googled how could I upgrade but the only solution I found is changing the ROM module.... was your in 2.1 already or you upgraded? if second, how?
I think the best solution if it would be possible, is that someone with a 360LX in english to dump his rom and then we could use his rom in our device, wouldn't it?

Edited by socram2k 2009-01-19 10:35 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 18