x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WinCE2.0 to XP Wireless

pjdelaney@blueyonder
pjdelaney@blueyonder Page Icon Posted 2004-10-22 4:39 AM
#
Hi all

I have old Compaq 2010c handheld PC running WinCE2.0. I do not have the serial sync cable but have successfully made a partnership between it and my desktop via infrared however I wish to use it on my ad-hoc wireless network.

I have purchased a Cisco Aironet 350 Wireless LAN card and successfully installed it however I cannot connect to my network. I must admit to being a novice when it comes to IP addresses, subnet masks etc so I may be doing something simple wrong but I have followed the instructions given on websites.

I have two network connections on the desktop, "Wireless Network Connection" and "Broadband" giving 192.168.0.1 and 82.34.140.192 as their respective IP addresses, I have tried using both as either the Primary WINS and Primary DNS on the Handheld to no avail, I presume its meant to be the former as the correct one?

Once thats done most websites say you can then access the net but if I pull up PocketIE it just tries to connect to the infrared port. I also cannot ping net addresses. vxUtil reports under info that I have three network adaptors however the Aironet one only ever has 0.0.0.0 as the IP address and no other setting despite inputting them under network in the control panel. I have told the handhelp my SSID etc too.

Do I need to download anything else to make this work. The handheld has been used and synced before over an ethernet connection to a PC with its previous owner so why can't I do it wirelessly.

I know I've probably left lots of info out that you'll need to help so just ask. The desktop is running XP Pro SP1 and regulary has a laptop connected wirelessly.

Can anyone point me in right direction with this please?

Many thanks

Paul
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-22 9:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Paul,

WinCE doesn' have all the nice connection wizards of XP, which often causes people headaches.

Effectivly what you want to establish is an internal Network, and ignore the internet for now.

In the Cisco drivers you will need to ensure that the adapter is set to run in Ad-hoc mode.

I am also assuming that when you attach a laptop in Ad-hoc mode to the PC that it itself can access the internet, thus you have either a Proxy server or have Internet Connection Sharing running.

If the internal IP on your desktop is 192.168.0.1 then on the CE device you need to set the adapter to the same range.
Open up control panel on the H/PC, assuming that you have installed the NSP or the Network module you will see a "Network" icon. Go into that, select the Aironet adapter from the list and tap properties.

Choose specify an IP address and type the following:
IP Address : 192.168.0.5 (note the 5 is intentional)
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.0.1

Open the name servers tab
In primary DNS & Primary WINS type:

OK everything back to the control panel, eject your card. Soft reset the device and once it's booted back up insert the Aironet.
Give it 20 seconds and then try ping again in vxUTIL. The "Info" screen will show that the Aironet has an IP, this is simply because you assigned it one.

If you are able to ping:
Then the network is working correctly. If at this point the Internet isn't working, don't worry. The key thing at the moment is getting a link between the H/PC and the Host.

I'm not a WiFi expert - complete newbie really (wired lan man). However I recommend that you don't experiment with WEP or anything that could get in the way until after you have it all working.
 Top of the page
pjdelaney@blueyonder
pjdelaney@blueyonder Page Icon Posted 2004-10-29 1:10 PM
#
C-Amie

Am still not able to ping the desktop. I have verified all the settings and confirm that the ip address does show in vxUtil however I cannot ping from here. The only thing I can't see to do is any setting for ad-hoc mode. I have checked the card in a laptop and it communcates with the network as soon as you insert the card but in the Compaq the card normally lights up both activity and status light but niether blink at any point.

Any ideas?

Paul
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-29 4:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Chances are that the NIC is in the wrong mode and is looking for an infrastructure connection.
Until you can be sure the thing is looking for the correct configuration of the network.

In the driver setup you want to say No to the Infrastructure mode option i believe.

Other than that, Clinton's the man to ask.
 Top of the page
pjdelaney@blueyonder
pjdelaney@blueyonder Page Icon Posted 2004-10-31 6:39 AM
#
Kay, I'll try that. Thanks man, you got me further than I would have got on my own, cheers.

Paul
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8