x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

number crunching in expansion of the computer universe

peter Page Icon Posted 2005-05-19 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi, everyone
just wondering, with the world population roughly 6 billion how many are actually using ce1. monocolour, handheld computers on a regular basis? thousands?hundreds?dozens ? 10-90 ?are we the last remnants of a lost civilisation of ce1'rs?
Saw 2/12 ago in a secondhand shop a cassiopeia A11 or $120. Is this a good price or over/underpriced.
The price of new Laptops in Sydney, Australia has dropped dramatically. from $2500 12 months ago to about $800-1300 now and still going down. What are the prices around the world for new laptops - are they overpriced here?
all ideas are welcome!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-09-13 5:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

peter - 2005-05-19 7:11 AM

hi, everyone
just wondering, with the world population roughly 6 billion how many are actually using ce1. monocolour, handheld computers on a regular basis? thousands?hundreds?dozens ? 10-90 ?are we the last remnants of a lost civilisation of ce1'rs?
Saw 2/12 ago in a secondhand shop a cassiopeia A11 or $120. Is this a good price or over/underpriced.
The price of new Laptops in Sydney, Australia has dropped dramatically. from $2500 12 months ago to about $800-1300 now and still going down. What are the prices around the world for new laptops - are they overpriced here?
all ideas are welcome!

Well, I can tell you that a cassiopeia a11 for 120 dollars is probably incredibly overpriced, since hardly anyone wants the technology (except us) and the near 4mb or less of RAM space.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 5:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

£60 for a CE1 device is a bit steep. Resale alue with CE1 chips you're probably looking under £20, more like under £15. With a CE2 chip its usefulness goes up drastically, and so you're looking at under £40.

As I can pick up 2.11 device for £60, it's not comparible really I'm afraid.

Most 1.0 users either have them as a collecion gadget, have them as they're in a draw or upgraded to 2.0.
I think I know of only one or two people actually using CE1 real-world in 2005. The limitation is the sync engine.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 10:07 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-09-14 11:39 AM

Most 1.0 users either have them as a collecion gadget, have them as they're in a draw or upgraded to 2.0.
I think I know of only one or two people actually using CE1 real-world in 2005. The limitation is the sync engine.

geez, 1 or 2 people?

i think CE 1 would have been fine for me before 2001. but i knew nothing about hpc's at that time
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 8:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I also want CE 1.0 because it has remote desktop control.
Since the CE 2.0 does not have it...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 9:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2005-09-14 8:07 AM

C:Amie - 2005-09-14 11:39 AM

geez, 1 or 2 people?

i think CE 1 would have been fine for me before 2001. but i knew nothing about hpc's at that time

Well, I think that I would still have a use for CE 1. (Cheap way to have Word Processing and Excel spreadsheets ) And the remote hpc app to control H/PC with a desktop. Cannot do that with CE 2 . But possible with only CE 2.11 or higher .

Joseph
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 1:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I used mine for a day, need the 2xAA power and HPC keyboard for some pocket-based number crunching ;-) Then I got sick of it and tucked it away somewhere....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 5:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh what was your problem with it?
instability? too slow?

send it to me!
 Top of the page
RandomInsano Page Icon Posted 2005-10-02 5:17 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

tenjeangosi - 2005-09-14 8:35 PM

I also want CE 1.0 because it has remote desktop control.
Since the CE 2.0 does not have it...

The remote desktop control (from PC to PDA) is just plain poopy. I tried it for like, 10 seconds and never used it again.

As for my new Cassiopeia A11+, I love the thing. I just wish the shades of grey were better defined (maybe it's just my particular unit). I use it to type notes and stay organized, which seems a fair use of a digital organizer. In univeristy it's always fun to see the laptop users in my classes rationing their batter life while I've still got 6 hours left on mine.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-02 6:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you want remote control of the device, you'd be better off getting a device that can sync with ActiveSync and then getting VirtualCE for it. (see the reviews section).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.160 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8