x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

$98 PC on way

1 2
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 3:57 AM
#
H/PC Elder

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/09/hivision-nb0700-98-laptop-from-ch...

I have a feeling this may just be an updated version of the razorbook / alpha 400 etc.. etc.. but for me the keyboard looks a little nicer and it looks like this one is $98 (again may be bulk price) but it will run Linux or Windows CE.

Again at this price a lot of them could be sold worldwide and make it worth while; 1. to develop for CE again (well sell to customers as a lot of CE developers just work for companies or vertical markets now). 2. It will hopefully bring MIPS versions of software (well there was a 900Mhz MIPS mini laptop announced, Linux, but I think it would make a good CE unit).

I expect that it won't be all that long until we see the mini CE laptop running with the Qualcomm Arm processor (qualcomm mentioned it early in the year). That will be running Qualcomm's cortex based CPU (IIRC it is over 1Ghz and has 4 diffrent cores in the cpu)

John

PS do you think they set the $98 price to take the headlines away from Jointech? Aparently their laptop was supposed to have started shipping to customers already (hopefully see it show up with a diffrent Brandname shortly.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 4:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Why else would they list it for $98?

This one's got potential too. Even with a "sluggish" 400 MHz MIPS processor, it may draw more people back to the H/PC form factor. Three USB ports is again a plus.
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 4:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Not sure it is new... from what I can gather it is just the bestlink Alpha / razorbook etc. etc.. but for a lower price than has previously been seen and I think an updated case.

Well with the razorbook and all versions getting a CE version and the Jointech JL7100 on it's way (and it does look like they are real and in production). And the Cortex ARM processor which will no doubt turn up in a few devices of this type I think it will re-invigorate the HPC device market (though without the offical HPC tag).

As they were before I think these would be perfect for journalists and students where long battery and instant on really are massive benefits. Hopefully when the CE versions hit the market place they really push these features otherwise they may just get overlooked completely.

CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 12:46 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I watched the video. It's a wonderful device. Actually, it's a brother/sister of HPC without touch screen.
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 2:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CAuser - 2008-09-05 9:46 AM

I watched the video. It's a wonderful device. Actually, it's a brother/sister of HPC without touch screen.

A lot like a WorkPad z50, then?
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 3:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I am impatiently waitng for my Razorbook Windows CE , delayed till the 15th, should have it sometime after that...
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

The estimated shipping date of my Dell Mini 9 is 9/19 that is a few days late than my targeted gift giving date. Either Mini 9 or Lenovo's Ideapad S10 is great mini laptop. BTW, due to high demand, Lenovo stopped accepting orders for S10 a few days ago.

Edited by CAuser 2008-09-05 3:35 PM
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 3:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I watched the video as well. Wonder why it takes over 30 seconds to boot Linux...wonder if a CE version would be instantaneous. Could they put WM5 or 6 on a MIPS machine? Or would it come with CE.NET or something else? I could live with the touchpad instead of touchscreen for $98 just fine.

The SD slot is really a good idea I think...

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-09-05 3:57 PM
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It will be CE5 as that is the platform builder files the CPU manufacturer has made available for this CPU...

Yes it will be instant as CE doesn't boot unless you reset the unit. It should just go into standby for CE I would hope.

John
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I still really like it... The hardware looks lovely but I wonder how strong the CPU is...

It looks like there is no suspend. Only a power off. A soft re-set on the smartbook takes just over 10 seconds to get to the desktop (despite the claim of 15 sec - 20 tops I timed it from the 2nd time he pressed the power button and got 28 seconds).

I also set my user agent on the smartbook to XP and opened IE at same time as video with MSN as my homepage (although SB doesnt have flash 9) the Smartbook had displayed the background blue and the headlines and top banner when he showed desktop.

Lastly I loaded desktop version of youtube on smartbook. I paused video when he clicked the home button. Then at the same time I clicked home on smartbook and play on his video. As I said smartbook has no flash content on MSN but it had completed loading the whole MSN homepage (everything else but flash stuff present and correct - looking same as it does on my big PC) at the same time as he starts to say "Not for this" then there is a bingbong.

Sorry my mistake he opened CNN (not MSN) - Oh actually it's his mistake he said MSN loads of times. Re-tested and not as much in it but smartbook still loads CNN faster (in full with flash content as flash 7 is compatible with CNN).

Hopefully it's just a slow connection he is on otherwise I was looking for more - though other apps opening and closing seems nice and fast. Though I suppose I am spoiled by smartbooks web speed and the razorbook is still very quick compared to Sig3. The killer for me though will be lack of instant on or suspend on start menu. Flash 9 will be very nice though as a lot of sites need that these days.

John.
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 10:34 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well, i think it looks "grand" for the $235.00 i payed
carld Page Icon Posted 2008-09-06 12:31 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

If they'd drop the trackpad, include a touchscreen, and shrink the bevel around the screen to fit, it'd be perfect.

They do sell it in colors other than pink don't they?

Edited by carld 2008-09-06 12:41 PM
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-07 7:25 AM
#
H/PC Elder

thcrw739 - 2008-09-06 3:34 AM

As mentioned in another thread. If it does have softmaker office 2008 and everything included then yeah it seems a nice bit of hardware (TBH my smartbook cost me about the same and saw them selling on ebay for the same sort of price in the UK recently).

I was just hoping for just a little more from web browsing in terms of speed and feel the lack of suspend is a pain. Thought $235 is £120ish not a lot of money for brand new kit (and in fact less than I paid for smartbook).

John
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-07 10:26 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

mr-mac - 2008-09-07 4:25 AM

thcrw739 - 2008-09-06 3:34 AM

As mentioned in another thread. If it does have softmaker office 2008 and everything included then yeah it seems a nice bit of hardware (TBH my smartbook cost me about the same and saw them selling on ebay for the same sort of price in the UK recently).

I was just hoping for just a little more from web browsing in terms of speed and feel the lack of suspend is a pain. Thought $235 is £120ish not a lot of money for brand new kit (and in fact less than I paid for smartbook).

John

Thats the way i'm thinking about it, brand new, more hardware than you usally get with a hpc..

yep, im going to have to call it a hpc, i'm not sure what else it would be...

Either that or call it a windows ce netbook, wich is the same diffrence?

under $250.00

I'm not sure what to think ab out the browsing yet..

Softmaker as i said, they were talking about giving it for free with reg card fill out...

Edited by thcrw739 2008-09-07 10:28 AM
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12