x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Driver help for CE 5.0 device

1 2
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2009-01-08 2:59 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm not sure. I know for a fact that I saw some ads from AMD and others who sold the PIC that mentioned something called "XP Extensions for Windows CE", so anything is possible.

And this Linux hacker guy's review seems to also imply they exist. Afterall, he did claim a simple desktop VB program ran on the thing without modification. If it does exist, I imagine it's some some sort of compatability layer like Redgear or the stub aygshells we are all so fond of. It's not as far fetched as you may imagine. If it even exists, it's probably a bunch of stub WinNT core components like kernel32.dll that forward all appropriate calls to coredll and implement their own versions for APIs that that are missing from CE. Really, seeing any version of mIRC running on CE would be quite amazing in my opinion. I hope this wasn't vaporware.

Rich: I heard you have a PIC yourself. Would it be much trouble to dump it's rom/HDD contents for me? I'd like to have a look at this thing. PM me if interested.

And nice to see you again too.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-08 5:26 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, there's already one compatibility link between Windows CE and desktop Windows: the .NET Framework. Could they be talking about .NET apps?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-01-12 11:26 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

.NET is too slow.
What about a compatibility layer CE to XP (or NT/2000 at least), this sounds nice, but the new image loader (as for .NET on CE 2.0) should be created. Still some desktop apps may have a lack of RAM... Not all x86 thin clients have even 256 MB RAM (still 128 MB is common). If this so called compatibility layer exists, it will be more like an emulator.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-01-12 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

they could be talking about vb.net maybe?

anyway, C++ can be different from VB. and mirc (C++ ) won't be running on this, unless it's a complete extension port. =(

Edited by cmonex 2009-01-12 2:30 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 27