x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WinCE 5.0 Password protection

servnotif Page Icon Posted 2008-09-06 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello!

I thought of password protecting a GPS which was "unlocked" to show the WinCE desktop.

The problem is, the screen is 320x240 which isn't suited for WinCE so the login window doesn't fit horizontally and worse, there is no On-Screen keyboard button so i can't enter the password!

I've already tried all the reset switches on the device, disconnecting the battery overnight but none of that helps completly reset the device.

Is there anyway to fix it?

Also, ActiveSync is not an option since the USB driver it has only works as a mass usb storage device. I can access the GPS program data but not the partition containing WinCE.

There are some interesting unsoldered end points at the device, i wonder if any of these could be a usb port? I will attach a picture.

Thanks in advance!

(20080906152229500.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20080906152229500.jpg (54KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
wince.he Page Icon Posted 2008-09-07 9:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,servnotif,I want to know whether the partition which the gps app in is writeble.
If it is, I think I can help you solve the problem.
The first thing you should do is swtich the usb function from mass stoarage to usb serial.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers]
"DefaultClientDriver"=- ; erase previous default
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers]
"DefaultClientDriver"="Serial_Class"

After you modify it,soft reset the device and hope that you can use usb ActiveSync.
Then you can use Remote Control App to enter the pwd.

Hope it is helpful.
 Top of the page
wince.he Page Icon Posted 2008-09-07 9:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The other way you can enter wince desktop is like this.
Modify the value in[HKLM\Init]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init]
"Launch20"="device.dll"
"Launch30"="gwes.dll"
"Depend30"=hex: 14,00
"Launch60"="servicesStart.exe"
"Depend60"=hex: 14,00
"Launch50"="explorer.exe"
"Depend50"=hex: 14,00,1e,00

Add the value "explorer.exe" and its "DependXX".
Softreset the device and perhaps it will work.
 Top of the page
servnotif Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 8:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

wince.he - 2008-09-07 8:43 PM

Hi,servnotif,I want to know whether the partition which the gps app in is writeble.

There are 3 partitions, all of them are wiritable
1st one: SD/MMC partition
2nd one: Partition containing solely the Map software and configuration files (MobileNavigator.exe, etc.)
3rd one: Partition containing solely Map data

On another subject, i measured with a multimeter the extreme pins of the 4 pins that seemed promising and it reads 3.4v (the battery provides 3.7V so i guess it can't provide 5). If it's really a usb port, i think i could try connecting a USB keyboard as a last resource.

Thanks for your reply!
 Top of the page
wince.he Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 8:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

If the partition containing the map software is writable.You can download TRE(REGEDIT on CE) ,copy it to the dir and rename it as MobileNavigator.exe.After that,you can reset your device and it will launch TRE at startup.At this time,you can modify the registry.
 Top of the page
servnotif Page Icon Posted 2008-09-09 1:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

wince.he - 2008-09-08 7:27 PM

"rename it as MobileNavigator.exe.After that,you can reset your device and it will launch TRE at startup."

The problem is: i had already modified the registry so mobilenavigator wouldn't start, and added explorer.exe to the startup.

*bashes head for password protecting it*

But, still thankful for the help you are providing thanks for your time, i will continue reading your solutions
 Top of the page
wince.he Page Icon Posted 2008-09-09 8:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

servnotif,do you know the pwd?if you do,it is easy.You can add an app "ToggleInputPanel.exe" in [HKLM\init],it will show sip at startup and you can input pwd.If you don't, perhaps it is impossilbe to reset the pwd.I tried this the other day but all failed. Maybe you can try some NTLM APIs to do this.

BTW,the usb port on your device is perhaps usb function not host,so you can not use it as host.

Edited by wince.he 2008-09-09 8:33 PM
 Top of the page
servnotif Page Icon Posted 2008-09-10 12:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

yep, i do know the password

but i'm afraid i can't edit the registry anymore...

this is what i did:

Bought the GPS
It comes with welcome.exe or something like that, with a menu
On the menu, the Navigator icon opens MobileNavigator.exe

I renamed MobileNavigator.exe to MobileNavigator2.exe and added an explorer.exe, renamed to MobileNavigator.exe

got to the WinCE desktop, installed TRE registry editor

edited the registry so welcome.exe (or the gps menu) wouldn't start automatically, added explorer.exe to the startup items , did a soft reset.

winCE boots directly to the desktop, no menus from the gps manufacturer (polaroid)

went to the control panel, clicked on the password icon... added a password (which i know) and told it to lock the device on power on

soft reset..... and that's where i got stuck, unable to type the password to unlock it

i can't access the desktop so i can't work with any registry editors, and i can't access the registry from a computer through the usb port since the partition where windows is stored can't be accessed through it.

it seems to be a lost cause!
 Top of the page
wince.he Page Icon Posted 2008-09-10 7:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I know the nasty problem you met.The device doesn't support usb HID,and the only input method is stylus.It can only be mounted as a storage when connected to pc.So,you can't control the device any more.

I met the same nasty problem the other day.But my device can use ActiveSync.So I use it to control the device remotely.

Maybe you have to turn to the manufacturer for help.
 Top of the page
wince.he Page Icon Posted 2008-09-10 7:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I know the nasty problem you met.The device doesn't support usb HID,and the only input method is stylus.It can only be mounted as a storage when connected to pc.So,you can't control the device any more.

I met the same nasty problem the other day.But my device can use ActiveSync.So I use it to control the device remotely.

Top of the page
wince.he Page Icon Posted 2008-09-10 8:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Top of the page
servnotif Page Icon Posted 2008-09-13 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yeah, i guess i'll have to do that but that's what i feared

I'll tell you the rest of the story later, when i take it to polaroid.

Thanks for all the help man
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11