x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New topic area on HPCFactor

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-09-20 7:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Just a comment of unimportance: I almost think Chris needs a new topic area unto itself on the forum.

GPS ONLY: Interests, Operating Systems and MODS

Rich
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-09-20 11:57 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I agree, Rich. I am still trying to figure ways to maximize the map size for GPS use, but for example, MS Streets and Trips gives no indication of a good map size it will allow without trial and error.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-20 3:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich, that would be like adding a dedicated section for Pocket PCs here.

There are already sites dealing with unlocking GPS devices with Windows CE cores. Even though the devices all have CE 4.2 .net or CE 5, IMO threads about them should be posted in Off Topic rather than the CE 4.x .net/CE 5 forum.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-21 1:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

no, CE Geek. these devices are truly CE devices... what is the difference between them and between a skeyepad? they run the same OS, neither has keyboard. I think this one time you are being a bit irrational (unusual for you!)

so, I like the idea, because, I will have to admit I feel those threads are cluttering up the main cenet forum, because they don't have keyb. so yes their own section would be great. but NOT offtopic because they are still running CE.

and I propose another section: any non CE small enough device with keyboard... (ok, tablets can come too)... I got loads recently... from htc athena, shift, touch pro, to nokia n810 and sony ux 390N (and i always had my nice zaurus and the ux40 palm along with nokia 9500!)
so basically keyboarded pocketpc's, umpc's, linux things... may be hard to justify because of the diversity, so I'm not entirely serious either
(and yes i'm sure i'll be kicked out for this suggestion!)

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-21 1:42 PM
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-21 4:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2008-09-21 10:40 AM

no, CE Geek. these devices are truly CE devices... what is the difference between them and between a skeyepad? they run the same OS, neither has keyboard. I think this one time you are being a bit irrational (unusual for you!)

That's a huge compliment, especially from one who has pointed out so many of my mistakes. That said, though, I don't think it was all that irrational. Saying 'what's the difference between the skeye.pad and a GPS with a CE core' is like saying 'what's the difference between an H/PC 2000 PenCentra 200 and a Cassiopeia E-125 Pocket PC.' (Both run the same OS, neither has a keyboard.) The difference is that the core CE shell is not on the surface and has to be unlocked. (I admit, though, that by that logic I should have posted my threads about the ViewSonic Airpanel V110 Smart Display and the NTT DoCoMo Pocket PostPet in "Off Topic." )

Anyway, if you wanna create a dedicated section for all those devices, why not a section for Palm-size PCs? At least they still had something close to the core CE shell.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-09-21 4:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That was my idea as well Cmonex...too many GPS issues cluttering up the HPC areas... Might make it easier for people with GPS related questions to have a single resource area to search rather than trying to figure out where to post a question.

But CEGeek, I didn't know there were other websites that dealt with GPS things as well...since I've never had a GPS that ran WinCE...mine are all handhelds with the OS built into a rom (without any way to add applications)... Maybe I need to get one!
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-21 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-09-21 10:02 PM

cmonex - 2008-09-21 10:40 AM

That's a huge compliment, especially from one who has pointed out so many of my mistakes. That said, though, I don't think it was all that irrational. Saying 'what's the difference between the skeye.pad and a GPS with a CE core' is like saying 'what's the difference between an H/PC 2000 PenCentra 200 and a Cassiopeia E-125 Pocket PC.' (Both run the same OS, neither has a keyboard.) The difference is that the core CE shell is not on the surface and has to be unlocked. (I admit, though, that by that logic I should have posted my threads about the ViewSonic Airpanel V110 Smart Display and the NTT DoCoMo Pocket PostPet in "Off Topic." )

Anyway, if you wanna create a dedicated section for all those devices, why not a section for Palm-size PCs? At least they still had something close to the core CE shell.

oh, the pencentra and the cassiopeia pocketpc do not run the same OS.

however a GPS PNA and the skeyepad do run the same OS.

PSPC: sure, why not?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-09-21 6:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

At this point... I would tend to agree.

Hoewever I've no expertise to mod it, so it'll only happen if a serious, knowledgable person makes themselves known to me to mod it.
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-22 5:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I have an R66 satnav which I managed to get to desktop reasonablly easilly - cmonex was then kind enough to throw together an .exe wich just started explorer so I could auto boot into the CE desktop and I can run other satnav programs on it.

Like most satnav units it does have the core version of CE just like HPC's (usual look with start menu).

I think it is a good idea as the CE 4/5 section seems to be getting a lot of satnav/PNA questions in it. It could also serve as a good location for questions as to best BT satnav recivers for HPC's and which software to use on HPC's etc. So maybe a general GPS section (HPC or Satnav)

Not sure I know enough about them myself to volunteer but did manage to hack my satnav to desktop without any help guides (as it was a new unit and nobody had done a guide yet). Not sure how much knowledge would be required to mod a section but I am on here a lot so would be able to monitor everything

So, I guess, if nobody else wanted to do it I would offer my time - and I am now being given friends satnav units to hack for them so am starting to gain a little more knowledge on the subject.

John
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-09-22 5:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Give it a couple of days for others to chip in their two pence and after that we'll see. I certainly wouldn't be against adding you to the staff list.
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-09-23 1:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

There are so many CE-based GPS devices flooding the market (That's a good thing for us, CE fans). Those devices usually have SD slot and USB client (We'd dream of a USB host). Actually, a 3.5" GPS is already under $100 (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Pharos-Drive-3-5-Inch-Touchscreen-Portable/dp...). I bet we'll be able to get one around $50 soon (<1 yr). Then, we have a lot of CE devices to play with, unclock, flash, ...

Edited by CAuser 2008-09-23 1:48 PM
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-23 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

also pmp/mp4 players running ce 5/6 core, want to include those in the same section?
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-09-23 2:10 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Nice Avatar. Is it a shot of your Razorbook?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-09-23 2:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

thcrw739 - 2008-09-23 6:53 PM

also pmp/mp4 players running ce 5/6 core, want to include those in the same section?
Don't see why not, if you all thinkit would actually have a purpose.
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-23 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

True on price. I have seen a 4.3" widescreen one for well under £100.

I think the next stage will be a blurring of the lines between Handheld PC's, GPS, PMP, UMPC & Netbooks. One device that does all these things for a very low price (I believe Jointech had the option of internal GPS on the JL7100). So I think catering to these markets (at least the CE ones) would be a good thing for the site.

C:Amie - No worries. I thought I would just offer my time (as often lack of time is the big reason some people can't do this). Also wont take it personally if I am not required. Just give me a shout if I can help

John

Edited by mr-mac 2008-09-23 2:48 PM
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9