x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

'Strange' Infrared

Paianni Page Icon Posted 2008-10-11 10:02 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I have a Ericsson MC16 with an infrared port. I have tried communicating it with my XDA 2 (My second oldest PDA). Sadly there is no program whatsoever which can do that sort of job.
First i tried opening 'irsquirt', a built in program to enable a Handheld PC to transfer a file to another. Then i tried selecting a file on my XDA 2 to send via infrared. The Ericsson MC16 did not respond at all during sending.
So if Windows CE 4.x can't send to Windows CE 2.0 (Or Windows CE 2.0 not sending to CE 4.x) which program could i use or which driver could i install?
I have a feeling it may be something to do with Infrared type. A newer device may have a newer and faster infrared port that my Ericsson MC16 is not compatible with.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-11 1:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Make sure you have the ports very close to one another...normally just a few inches away. Make sure that both devices have the same parameter, normally 8,N,1 for the length, parity, stopbits...and make sure the baud rate is slow enough for the older device....start out with the slower rates and build up to whatever it can tolerate. 9600 baud is a good starting rate.

Lastly, make sure you are using the same transfer protocol, i.e. OBEX is very common. I have no problem transferrng data between any of my handheld...from my old CE 2.0 machines through CE.NET.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-10-11 1:53 PM
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2008-10-12 3:19 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Your reply is a little tricky to understand.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-12 3:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hmmm, what part was tricky?

Infrared communication is communication by light, so that means that both devices have to have an uninterrupted view of each other's infrared port...normally a little red colored plastic area. Bright lights, or objects in between can interfere with successful communication. The IFR signal is normally limited to just a few inches...a foot or two, so the ports normally have to face one another and not be too far apart.

The infrared signal is normally a serial type of communication, hence it is configurable, just like the old modems. You set the word length in bytes, the number of stop bits, and the parity for the communication. They have to match in order for communication to take place. Luckily, most software program will compensate or the device's hardware will attempt to compensate for speed differences.

Lastly, they have to use the same communication protocol or language. OBEX is a very commond standard, and there are a lot of IFR transfer programs that use it. So if you can find a program that will run on both machines that uses the same protocol, then you have pre-eliminated possible problems due to protocol differences.

Someone check me out...did I say it all correctly?

Rich
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.113 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8