x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Allanon
Allanon Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 9:17 PM
#
Hello everyone. I'm considering purchasing a HPC (the MobilePro 790) and I was wondering about a couple of things. I've noticed that if I could ever secure one of the elusive 790 ROMs that I could save 75-100$ on a 790. Say, by chance I happen to pick up a 790 ROM and get a 780 machine. If I switch the two ROMs, will my 780 machine work EXACTLY like a 790? Aside from the 16 or 32 MB difference in storage, is there any other problemes. And also, does anyone konw where to find one of those 790 ROMs??? I've searched all over the net and I just can't find them anywhere! Ebay hasn't even had one in the last week. Just a couple of 780s. Thanks for your replies!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 5:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The only other bug is the bUseful backup program, which on the 790 is installed by default into part of the flash ROM, so when you swap out the chips...you lose that capability.

On the same note, if you copy out the bBackup program from the 780 before making the change, and that includes all the subparts of the program that reside in the Windows folder, and then copy them back to the Windows folder after the ROM swap, then you are okay.

But with the price drops I'm seeing on 790s, I'm not sure this is the way to go....

Rich
 Top of the page
Tahoma
Tahoma Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 10:40 AM
#
In my opinion, the Internal Flash is a rather nice feature as well (although it certainly is optional). I install my programs there (rather than RAM to save that for actually running programs), use the front CF for data, and use the side PCMCIA for WiFi or a second CF when I backup. Regardless, you definitely want the HPC 2000 OS from the 790 rather than the HPC Pro from the 780.

-- Tahoma
 Top of the page
Tahoma
Tahoma Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 10:55 AM
#
Oh, wait, I almost forgot. If you get a 790, you will be able to use batteries from the 770, 780, and 790. However, if you get a 780, you will only be able to use batteries from the 770 or 780, since the 790 battery is keyed so that it won't fit those models.

Actually, I suggest you get one of each. Get a 790 in good condition to be the machine you will actually use. Get a 780 with a good screen (no need to care about the condition of the body however) and take it apart for spare parts. This will give you a touchscreen, keyboard, motherboard, battery, and stylus.

Once you've taken apart the 780, you can further satisfy your urge to tinker by taking the backup battery off of the spare motherboard and preparing it with a new lithium cell (requires soldering). Then, you can split open the main battery and populate it with fresh cells. Since all of this is being done on spare parts, you can still be using your 790 while all of this is happening and not have to worry.

Having gone through that, you will then be prepared with the knowledge, confidence, and components to replace your backup battery when that becomes necessary (it will). You will also have a relatively fresh main battery to use when the time comes that your 790's main battery needs the same trick done to it. If you ever break your screen, you can replace it with the spare, and if you ever lose your stylus, you have another. The spare motherboard is for advanced tinkerers... ;-)

-- Tahoma
 Top of the page
Allanon
Allanon Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 5:15 PM
#
Thanks for the tips! It's good to hear that the 790s are dropping in price. I'm not going to get one for a couple of months so if I wait it out I may be able to snag a 790 at a decent price. Your advice is good Tahoma but I don't have the kind of money required for both the 780 and 90. Thanks for pointing out the battery thing too. I just though that I'd heard that a 780 had worse internet capabilities that the 790. Thanks again!
 Top of the page
daveb272
daveb272 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 11:32 PM
#
Where would one find a 790 rom? i have looked all over, and came up with none!!
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 11:38 PM
#
daveb272 - 2005-06-08 9:32 PM

Where would one find a 790 rom? i have looked all over, and came up with none!!

They're actually fairy tales

Kidding.. Ebay's probably your best bet.. either a standalone rom or maybe a 790 with a broken screen or keyboard or something.
 Top of the page
yobyeknom Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 12:01 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The last place I saw 790 roms for sale was this yahoo store - around $30.00.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/alan-fm/index.html
That was a couple of months ago though.
There was an ebay user by the name of llewyn22 (I believe) who was selling some 790 roms as some sort of upgrade kit around the same time. They were like $50.00.
I think that just buying a 790 is probably your best bet though. I've had my MP790 for about two months now and I just love it. I considered buying a 780 and going the upgrade route at first, but the roms seemed to disappear just when I got serious about it.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 2:11 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

yobyeknom - 2005-06-09 12:01 AM

There was an ebay user by the name of llewyn22 (I believe) who was selling some 790 roms as some sort of upgrade kit around the same time. They were like $50.00.

llewyn22 seems to have purchased a lot of NEC and Jornada components that he likes to sell five or six at a time. He sells on Amazon too. He probably still has the ROMs and maybe a few daughter boards.

Lately, he has been hawking "hard to find" single ear buds for NEC 770/780 for about sixteen bucks total with his high S\H charge. Very few people realize that all NEC did was use a commonly used hands-free cell phone socket. I bought a few boom mic\ear cell phone sets at Dollar Tree for $1 each. The same set is sold in fancier packages at Meijer\ K-mart type stores for $10 to $12.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 9:49 AM
#
H/PC Elder

bruisedquasar - 2005-06-09 12:11 AM

yobyeknom - 2005-06-09 12:01 AM

llewyn22 seems to have purchased a lot of NEC and Jornada components that he likes to sell five or six at a time. He sells on Amazon too. He probably still has the ROMs and maybe a few daughter boards.

Lately, he has been hawking "hard to find" single ear buds for NEC 770/780 for about sixteen bucks total with his high S\H charge. Very few people realize that all NEC did was use a commonly used hands-free cell phone socket. I bought a few boom mic\ear cell phone sets at Dollar Tree for $1 each. The same set is sold in fancier packages at Meijer\ K-mart type stores for $10 to $12.

--Bruised

hey bruised, you know what I was thinking? Maybe you could get a bundle of those ear cell phone sets ($1) each and put up on the HPCBay for sale! I'm sure most of the existing MP users would not mind forking out say $5 for each (incl shipping)

That will solve their problem of having to find a 2.5>3.5 adapter or being "ripped" off by high s/h charges.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 12:14 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

or as said before you can go to a dollar store (if Availible) and by one for a dollar
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.157 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 11