x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbsd or linux on IBM z50 / Mobile Pro 880 ?

sbabolat Page Icon Posted 2008-11-08 1:34 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any way to install Linux or netbsd on the z50 or MP 880 - I am sure there is, I am looking for the easiest solution (I have no knowledge with scripts and command lines!)

I also do not want to trash the wince install (and if something goes wrong have the possibility to hard reset and come back to wince) ?

I have a CF card for 1 gb that I could use for that. I am mostly;y looking for maybe something that could run from the cf card ?

Let me know,

Thanks

Sebastien

Edited by sbabolat 2008-11-08 1:38 PM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2008-11-08 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Usually Linux and netbsd are run from external storage and not from the internal ROM. So, if you do a reset you will be presented with the Windows CE setup screen (similar to performing a hard reset).

Regarding Netbsd ...

I have never used netbsd personally, but reading through the netbsd/hpcmips newsgroup, there seems to be a number of z50 (and some mobilepro) users that are running netbsd/hpcmips on those devices.

If you have no knowledge with scripts or command lines, then it may possibly be a bit tough at first. I believe that the netbsd/hpcmips installer will try and download what it needs from the web, so you may need a compatible card from those listed here. Instead of downloading the needed files from the web, it may also be possible that you can copy the userland (.tgz) archives from here (all except the kern-TX3912.tgz archive) to your CF card. Then from what I gather, you need to download netbsd.gz and psdboot.exe to your CF card and then run psdboot.exe. Be forewarned, running this exe will clear out your storage RAM in CE, so backup any files located there first if necessary. After running this executable, the installation process should begin.

That's not the best explanation, but I hope it helps some anyway. Maybe someone else more knowledgable about netbsd(/hpcmips) can answer here.

Regarding Linux ...

There is a project on sourceforge here that tells you how to install Linux on the mp880. The files are a couple years old, but I assume they should still work.

Edited by mscdex 2008-11-08 6:40 PM
 Top of the page
sbabolat Page Icon Posted 2008-11-30 9:40 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks a lot for your reply. And sorry for the delay.

I have looked into it, but well, it seems that it will require some attention and it may require some time .... plus most is not that well supported for the ibm.

Maybe later ?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9