x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Paianni Page Icon Posted 2008-11-13 3:22 PM
#
H/PC Elite

One of the things that's ANNOYING me with these Forums is that they never let me delete posts I decide I don't want anymore and keep them on the site ... and it doesn't stop there. When i am typing a reply and a select the 'Submit', button, my computer sometimes operates slowly to reply and when I click it again, I end up posting 2 posts of the same Reply!
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-13 3:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you click on the "your settings" link to the right of your name, you can unsubscibe from any threads you are subscribed to. You are correct, you cannot delete posts that you made and no longer want. I think because some things we post may seem unimportant to the author, but may contain good info still for others. Or consider this: You ask a simple question, get an answer, and then don't need the post any longer. If you deleted your posts, then others would not benefit from your question, and may be confused about the answer.

The double posting is something that some people are more prone to than others, depending on their internet connection, response time in communication, location, etc... Just something we tend to live with, and if it happens, normally you can go to the second post and edit it...flagging it for a moderator to delete.

HPCFactor is not a perfect system...but still the best in the world.

Rich
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-13 5:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Right. I delete double posts in my forum (H/PC 2000) as soon as I catch them, and I usually alert the moderators of the other forums when I notice recent double posts in their forums.

It's not a good idea to go back and click on "Submit" a second time - this will almost always produce a double post. You just have to patient. If your computer is particularly slow, you can try opening a second window or tab in your browser and open the HPC:Factor home page with it, and then select the thread in question there to see if the post has been added.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 5:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is an evern more obvious reason why you are not allowed to delete your own posts. It forces you to think before you speak.

If it is the case that you have posted something on this forum that you want to now delete, that tells people that you were saying things that were illconceived and probably that you're just trying to make yourself look better.

There is a genuine edit time for accidental, heat of the moment changes, however anything you post onto this site is a matter of public record. It is freely searchable by anyone and any search engine and it will not go away any time soon.

Having said that, we aren't without caring, and if there is a genuine slip up that has gone through and the edit timer has elapsed then the section moderator I am sure will help you; just not for ego reasons
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8