x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I have the ROM image- need help getting it loaded on device!

1 2
mgrm2k Page Icon Posted 2008-11-16 3:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all! I have a Magellan Roadmate 2000 GPS unit (you can see it here HERE

and get the official manual HERE )

There is a sticker on the back that says WinCE Core 5.0.

It was acting funny and locking up a lot (when routing to addresses over an hour away or so), so I was trying to reset it. The reset button did not fix the problem (and I noticed that all my settings were still there after a 'reset' ) so I was trying to find a way to do a "Hard reboot". I did not find anything in the manual or online so I wias fiddling around with the buttons until I found an undocumented menu (blue screen) which said:

Pluto_0_0129_RAM32_ROM1.12
0=WINCE Upgrade
1=GPS Tools
2=BT Tools
3=UBOOT Upgrade
4=Other Tools
Choice=3

I picked "Other tools" and did:

ERASE FLASH
Format FLASH for BINFS

Aak! Stupid me!! Now the GPS is dead, I think I deleted the WinCE OS that was operating underneath the Magellan firmware!

All it does when you turn it on is show "Loading" on the screen (in the same font you see when you Reset it).

I can still get into the bootloader(? blue screen) menu though, which gives me some options:

0=WINCE by SD/MMC (Format)
1=WINCE by SD/MMC
2=WINCE by USB (Format)
3=WINCE by USB

When I pick #2 it says "downAddr :31400000. Waiting for Download. Cable not connected."

However if I have the USB cable connected to the computer, it does make the "Plugged in a new USB device" noise and says it found a "SEC S3C2410X Test B/D"

Also, the UBOOT menu allows me to:
0=UBOOT by USB
1=UBOOT by SD/MMC

And the same thing happens if I have it plugged into the computer.

I found a driver for theSEC S3C2410X Test B/D" Here:

http://blog.aggregatedintelligence.com/2007/08/mio-c310x-sec-s3c241...

But I don't think that alone will fix my problem.

I downloaded new firmware for my Magellan Roadmate 2000 from magellan's website. That link is HERE and it comes directly from Magellan.
When I try to use the setup.exe that comes with it, it reports that "No Magellan Roadmate 2000" was found. I suspect it looks for the specific Magellan RM 2000 device ID on USB. Since I wiped out not only the Magellan firmware, but the WinCE under it, there's no way it would report itself as a RM2000.

I also found this "bluescreen fix" for the Roadmate800, which is obviously not the unit I have, but I figured it might help. ( http://www.hacking-gps.com/gps-notes/archives/2006/08/solve_your_ma... )

When I tried to run it, it too failed to recognize the unit (even when I set W it to "WINCE by USB" or "UBOOT by USB".

So then I started reading more online and realized I need to get a copy of the firmware for a Magellan Roadmate 2000, and either find an uploader/flasher for USB or put it on a memory card and try to let the bootloader load it. I suspect calling Magellan will lead nowhere (even they would fix/swap it, I still would like to know how to fix it! I guess I'm just interested at this point).

I do have another RM2000 (my wife's), but I have no idea how to get what I need from it.... then I saw on some other posts that the .zip file from Magellan (the firmware upgrade .zip) contains the file I need; it's called WINCEIMG.BIN

I learned that from these guys who had the same problem, but did not seem to find a solution either:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=85498&SearchT...

Based on the hints in that posting, I renamed the updater .exe file (again, found here: http://magellan.cachefly.net/softwareupgrades/Magellan_RoadMate_200... ) to a .zip and found the winceing.bin file. I put it on an SD card (the file format just says "FAT" so I guess that's FAT16 not FAT32? does it matter what format the SD card is?) and popped it in the Roadmate 2000. Now, when I go into the bootloader menu, it says the following:

SD Card boot
Please wait...
Waiting!!
MountDisk Success!
open file failed!
ERROR happened!
Put image file into SD!

------------

When I go into the WinCE upgrade by SD/MMC menu, it says:

Waiting!!
MountDisk Success!
Open CEimage ...
can not find WINCEIMG.CKS
Any key to continue

--------------

From this thread http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=72270
it looks like you can generate winceimg.cks from winceimg.bin ; I think you use winhex to find the 32bit checksum, then create a text file named winceimg.cks with the following text in it:

binSize : xxx
checksum: yyy

where xxx is the filesize of your winceimg.bin (no commas) and yyy is the checksum that winhex reported.
I noticed the examples I saw had '0x' in front of the checksum, so I added that.

When I put it on the card, the Roadmate does something different (it tries to load the file!)

WINCE Upgrade by SD

Waiting!!
MountDisk SUCCESS!
Open CEimage ...
Checksum error.
Any key to continue
Read progress:
it goes quickly through 0..1..2..3.. (etc) until it reaches 100%

But then it says
Checksum error
And nothing else happens

I tried it for uboot.bin and uboot.cks and tried that in the uboot menu; it also said the checksum was bad.

Arg!! So close! I think I am closing in on a solution but I have run out of things to try.

What should I try next?

Thanks for reading this long post!!

Edited by mgrm2k 2008-11-16 3:47 PM
 Top of the page
mgrm2k Page Icon Posted 2008-11-16 5:05 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I was up until 3AM last night working on the above. Today; I played with it some more. I had UBOOT.BIN on the SD card, and I made a UBOOT.CKS, and then went into the menu to update UBOOT and it worked (!!?)

However, that was dumb because now things are even worse. The screen is shifted up and to the right by 2 rows of pixels (no big deal, I guess).
But now the "Reset" button is dead! I was using the reset button to move through the menu choices!
After about 10 minutes of messing with it, I found that the "Hold" button acts almost like the rest button did- but not exactly; you have to press Hold + Power and get the timing JUST RIGHT to emulate what the reset button used to do.. sigh

Anyway I thought of something... when I right click WINCEIMG.BIN and select "Properties", the file size is reported as 5,382,552 Bytes (so that's what I originally had as binSize in the winceimg.cks file)

However! The "Size on disk" varies (see picture) ;

The version in the .zip file on my computer is 5,386,240

The version on the SD card is 5,406,720 bytes AND had "Archive" attribute set.

I unchecked Archive and modified winceimg.cks to have the binSize : 5406720 and I also tried 5386240

Neither worked! ("Bad Checksum" )!

Edited by mgrm2k 2008-11-16 5:23 PM

(filesize.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments filesize.JPG (72KB - 7 downloads)
 Top of the page
RJGill84
RJGill84 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-18 9:05 AM
#
Im having the SAME EXACT problem. The two of us putting our heads together we should be able to come up with the solution. email me at robert@gillsystems.com or rjgill842 on AIM if you want to collaborate on a solution. I just did this to my Maestro 4050 today! Sucks.
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2008-11-18 10:10 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
Maybe it helps to format the SD card to FAT16 (if using Fat32 now, or vice-versa). If necessary use a smaller card so that the filesize rounds to the correct size ( and checksum) number on the formatted card.
Just a hunch
 Top of the page
Asterix
Asterix Page Icon Posted 2008-11-18 1:17 PM
#
Hy ...
Well , in order to restore your Magellan , you have to follow the steps :
- download the file from : http://magellan.cachefly.net/softwareupgrades/Magellan_RoadMate_200...
- when you finish the download , extract the files from it
- after extracting , you will have some folders and in a folder named "COPY_OS" you will find a file winceimg.bin . This file you can use it for re-writing you rom .
- on a sd card formated FAT16 you put this file on ROOT card and the checksum file atached bellow ( those 2 files must be on the sd card in root , not in some folder on the card ... you put the card in your device , reboot in UBOOT menu with the card inserted ).
- then , from the UBOOT menu , choose : WINCE Upgrade --->> WINCE by SD/MMC (Format) .

That must be all ... i did the same thing on a device and it's worked .
By the way ... the file atached is in ZIP format , you have to extract the content on the sd card .
Best regards .

Edited by Asterix 2008-11-18 1:19 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments checksum.zip (0KB - 90 downloads)
 Top of the page
utahd Page Icon Posted 2008-11-18 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a few Magellan Roadmate 2000's I can sell. In the hidden menu, the roadmate 2000 has check boxes for flags. I don't know what their effects are.

I can't get the 2000 to allow access to active sync or usb storage. I can down load to the device using the upgrade(s) software. Does anyone know how to get file access through USB in both directions. Perhaps I should get the SDK and mess around a lot, but maybe there is a utility that can help. I have tried Active Sync of various revision with no success. I suppose I can get the "fileman" to run using the upgrade software and poke around a bit. The upgrade software does not have a complete Rom image. I would have to sacrifice one unit to get anywhere.
 Top of the page
mgrm2k Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 8:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The winceimg.bin is now loaded on the Magellan Roadmate 2000... It didn't want a normal checksum (someone helped me off the forums). When I plug it in to the computer via USB, it recognizes it as a Magellan RM 2000, but I can't connect to it or do anything from the computer. Also, on the device itself, it does not function as a GPS or show me any WinCE functionality, all it does is put up a white screen, with a black progress bar that scrolls along the bottom from left to right and then stops.

Top of the page
Asterix
Asterix Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 8:03 PM
#
mgrm2k - 2008-11-20 2:48 PM

The winceimg.bin is now loaded on the Magellan Roadmate 2000... It didn't want a normal checksum (someone helped me off the forums). When I plug it in to the computer via USB, it recognizes it as a Magellan RM 2000, but I can't connect to it or do anything from the computer. Also, on the device itself, it does not function as a GPS or show me any WinCE functionality, all it does is put up a white screen, with a black progress bar that scrolls along the bottom from left to right and then stops.

Well , that is because your internal flash disk is empty now . If you have write the rom image ... right now , when your wince start , it's launch an application caled "TNLauncher.exe" wich is in windows directory . If i'm right ... when this file is starting , is searching for some files ( TNShell.exe , tnShell_vb.dll , UsbTransfer.exe ... ) on your flash disk ( HDD3 is named ) to start the main shell . Because you don't have those files ... your device is remain in the screen with progress bar . I take a look inside the "TNLauncher.exe" and i found some info ... there are some checks for other files ... this is the order :
\SDMMC Card\micManager.exe .... then \SDMMC Card\DM.exe .... if none of those files is founded ... is searching for : \SDMMC Card\SplashScreen.exe ... and ... \ SDMMC Card\CopyTool.exe .
What i supose ... you can use this for restoring your device , or installing another navigation software on it . How to do that ... well , you can put on a SD card formated FAT16 , on root directly ... a utility to explore your device ( something like Total Commander ... google for it ) .
But , to work , you have to rename this file with one of the name listed up : micManager.exe ... DM.exe ... etc ...
If you have a backup for your flash ( navigation software ... maps ... ) ... then in few min everything will be ok .
Good luck .
 Top of the page
mgrm2k Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 9:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I think I do have those files (courtesy of the .zip from magellan). I will look and try it. Thanks!
 Top of the page
Asterix
Asterix Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 11:47 AM
#
mgrm2k - 2008-11-22 3:55 AM

I think I do have those files (courtesy of the .zip from magellan). I will look and try it. Thanks!

Me too i have the zip from Magellan suport website .
But you must know the right order for directory structure , else the result will be the same .
For this reason i have tell you , a backup is the best choice . Anyway ... try .. you don't have
any other option .
Best regards !

Edited by Asterix 2008-11-21 11:48 AM
 Top of the page
mgrm2k Page Icon Posted 2008-11-22 12:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ah, I see what you mean. Is there a possibility of a real backup for the flash existing?

I have a second, working Magellan Rm2000. Is there some way I could extract what I need from it?
 Top of the page
Asterix
Asterix Page Icon Posted 2008-11-22 8:51 AM
#
mgrm2k - 2008-11-22 6:45 PM

Ah, I see what you mean. Is there a possibility of a real backup for the flash existing?
I have a second, working Magellan Rm2000. Is there some way I could extract what I need from it?

I don't have an Magellan RM2000 . So i have to guess . First , let me know if you can connect the second device on USB with the computer .
If the answer is yes , then you must have acces on the flash disk ( it's must be named HDD3 .... or something ) . Making a backup will be easy at this point . You must copy all the files from the flash to a folder on your computer . After that , copy those files on the other device , once you get connected on USB .
If you don't have USB access on the second device , then you must try to start an explorer or commander from the sd card .
Anyway , have you try to use the tips from the precedent post ( read the post up ) ?
Best regards !
 Top of the page
mgrm2k Page Icon Posted 2008-11-22 10:09 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I haven't tried the 'good' RM2000 yet but I figured I would try loading up an SD card with all the files from the .zip
I copied all the files in every directory of the zip to the root directory of an SD card (that way every possible file is available to the OS) but nothing happened (same white screen with black progress bar).
 Top of the page
Asterix
Asterix Page Icon Posted 2008-11-22 5:23 PM
#
mgrm2k - 2008-11-23 4:09 AM

I haven't tried the 'good' RM2000 yet but I figured I would try loading up an SD card with all the files from the .zip
I copied all the files in every directory of the zip to the root directory of an SD card (that way every possible file is available to the OS) but nothing happened (same white screen with black progress bar).

Well , my friend ... like i tell you before , with the files from the zip you can't do more .
So , you have write the rom image , that is a good start . Right now you have a screen with a progress bar witch will complete and after that is stay like this . That's a good thing . I mean .. right now , you have a device with wince 5.0 installed on ....
To give you an example of what you have to do next ... remember ... everything is just suposition , because i don't have an Magellan RM2000 .
So ... if you have a file explorer for wince5.0 , something like Total Commander or GSFinder ( search the google for it ) , copy this file on a sdcard , and rename'it to one of this names : micManager.exe , DM.exe , SplashScreen.exe or CopyTool.exe .
After that , put the card in your device and restart'it . If nothing happends , try another name for the file . Those names i have found inside the
TNLauncher.exe application , witch is started when your device start . Read again my previous post for details .
Once you have found the right name ( you will see that your device will start with the explorer witch you used on sdcard ) , then you will have access to your device . You can start copy what you need , on the internal flash disk ( i'm talking about HDD3 , that's the name for the flash disk used to store the navigation software ... or the main shell ) ... or even more ... you can use another navigation software , modified to run on Magellan . Anyway ... that's a little more complicated ... because of some missing DLL's , but is posible .
Best regards !
 Top of the page
Caporaljr Page Icon Posted 2008-12-09 10:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

How did u created the checksum ? What do u mean "not normal checksum" ? I am fighting w/ that for a few days already...

Thanks
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 14