x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: KSE Backgammon 2.01

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-11-16 4:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you are into the classics then you don't get much closer to the old school than a good game of Backgammon.

For those not familiar with the game, Backgammon is a game of chance and strategy played between two players and involves, dice, checkers and a board.

John Ottini looks at KSE's Handheld PC offering to see if it can raise the bar or whether it takes a hit in his latest review on HPC:Factor.

View: KSE Backgammon 2.01
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-11-17 7:41 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
A nice review, John. Thorough and even-handed as always, you put the game through its paces, and by the end of the review, I felt as if I knew it as well as you did. Bummer about the need for screen protection. I found that to be true even with Blackjack in MS CE 2.0 Games--I was wearing the screen with the Deal and Hit buttons. Luckily, Blackjack's also key-controlled. Too bad that's not the same with Backgammon; it would be easy enough with the Arrow keys.

Jake
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-17 8:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My favorite time killer...good write up. And something our HPC version has that isn't in the newer WM5 versions is if you are sitting near someone, you can play against them using the infrared port.

For the 900/900C this works out to about 6-8 feet away for a good signal that isn't blocked.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-11-17 8:29 AM
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-11-17 9:10 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Also should mention that it works great using a mouse with your Mobilepro 900c!
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-17 12:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Bummer - too bad you forgot that. Now you're gonna have to rewrite the whole review.

Kidding aside (a rarity for me), I second Jake on the review. As usual, John covers every nuance about the app so you know everything you're getting into.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-17 1:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

He didn't forget that, he is reiterating it now...original article: "if you are fortunate enough to have an HPC that allows you to use a mouse"
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-17 5:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Bummer - too bad I forgot that. Now I'm gonna have to rewrite the whole post.
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Excellent review, John. I got this game when it first came out and still enjoy it. There is a bug in the HPC version, which I've brought to KSE's attention way back when, and it was supposed to be corrected in a future update. Of course, the update neve came about for lack of interest from the HPC community. When bearing off, always play the lower dice first; so if you roll 2 and 4, play the 2 before you play the 4. Playing the higher roll first will occasionally prevent you from playing the second loser number afterwards.

Cheers!
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.175 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 27