x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Poll: Best Wireless 802.11 PCMCIA PC Card for Win CE 2.11

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
Terrin Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 12:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I use the Enterasys RoamAbout card. It works great with my 802.11g router - I've walked out of my house, gotten in the back seat of my car (that was parked at the end of the driveway), and surfed the internet.

The RoamAbout is works great with it's supplied drivers, but I like to use the Orinoco drivers. It provides more data about the connection. However, I'd recommend using the RoamAbout drivers with the RoamAbout card unless you have a desire to see the exact Signal to Noise numbers, etc. I haven't suffered any ill effects from using the Orinoco drivers, but your mileage may vary.

(To get the RoamAbout to with with the Orinoco driver all you have to do is install the driver and type WLLUC46 when it asks you to identify the unknown PC Card. It's kinda fun to play with the Link Test - I have a MP770 and a MP780 that's ROM upgraded to a MP790, and RoamAbout cards for both of them - I turned both machines on and ran the Link Test and watched them get data on each other. Amusing, but probably not what it's intended for. )
 Top of the page
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2005-07-22 10:46 PM
#
Will this wireless card work with the NEC MobilePro 780.

link http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-07-23 5:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Count me as another fan of the ORiNOCO card. I have the Gold card from Agere Systems, and it works great on my Jornada 680e, my MainStreet (Vadem) Clio 1050, and even my monochrome LG Phenom H-120F (CE 2.0), though I had to use the workaround from the Hardware Compatibility list in this website for the Phenom. One piece of advice, though: only get the ORiNOCO card produced by Lucent Technologies or Agere Systems; the later versions produced by Avaya and Proxim are supposed to be inferior despite being priced higher (except perhaps on eBay, if you're willing to comparison shop for weeks).

While I'm here, though, I'd like to hear from people who have tried using CF wireless 802.11 cards in their HPCs. I have a Belkin C5D-6060 that works wonderfully on my Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC, so I tried it in the above three HPCs using a Type II CF PCMCIA adapter. It works fine in the Clio, and is recognized in both the Jornada and the Phenom (at least according to both its indicator light and the driver windows on the screen), but in the latter two it can't find any Internet sites that I enter, including those of the OEMs and Microsoft. I didn't have to do any configuring in the Clio driver to get it to work; I wonder if the other two require some configuring that isn't done automatically.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-23 9:14 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

my CF wifi works perfectly even in my MC16 (ce 2.0) and MP 900C (ce.net 4.2), so i'm afraid i can't help you here (it is a senao nl-2511 or similar)
 Top of the page
Jornada Queen Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 12:09 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I've had no problems with using the Enterasys RoamAbout on a J680e and the 802.11 g router. <I have used the different drivers but I never had to enter the name of the unknown pc card though - mysterious>
 Top of the page
cezar
cezar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-09 5:16 PM
#
heyah
you being talking about wifi cards that working on win ce 2.11
i've such a card
but the problem is with software to detect ap by using orinoco -enterasys stuff
so if anybody could give me a link to thr web page which I can download stuff to dececting active ap
I'd be very greatful
cezar from Poland
 Top of the page
JulioAngelOrtiz Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 2:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'd have to vote for the Cisco Aironet 350 card. It has a nice set of drivers and tools, supporting a good range of HPC devices. I tried the Orinoco Silver card on my Aero 8000 and had constant freezes that would result in hard resets.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 3:41 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Which company produced the ORiNOCO card (Lucent, Agere, Avaya, or Proxim)? As I mentioned above, there is a difference.

Re: the Aironet 350 - another good card from what I've heard, but weeks of searching for that card on eBay came up empty for me (meanwhile, lots of ORiNOCO cards were there). (Of course, it was the trusty HCL in this site that pointed me in the direction of both cards.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 10:21 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2005-08-11 9:41 AM

Which company produced the ORiNOCO card (Lucent, Agere, Avaya, or Proxim)? As I mentioned above, there is a difference.

Re: the Aironet 350 - another good card from what I've heard, but weeks of searching for that card on eBay came up empty for me (meanwhile, lots of ORiNOCO cards were there). (Of course, it was the trusty HCL in this site that pointed me in the direction of both cards.)

that's precious information thanks for it
cisco? hmm, it is good enough but *IMO* there are better cards.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I use a pair of Orinoco Golds to connect my laptop and J-720, and it's been great from the start.

Question: since I recently installed a LinkSys Router with G capability, if I bought an Orinoco combo card and installed it in the laptop, would I be able to network with the J via B speed and automatically switch to the faster G on the laptop when accessing cable internet?

The caveat is that my Dell Inspiron 4000 is 4 1/2 years old so B speed may be all the laptop muster regardless of the card.

Jake
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 2:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Andrew - 2005-07-22 10:46 PM

Will this wireless card work with the NEC MobilePro 780.
link http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp...

I wonder that myself. Great price. Brand new but the question is drivers. You do not get any CE drivers. Does anyone know if a driver on this site will work with this card?

---Bruised
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 2:53 PM
#
H/PC Elder

These dual treads about wifi cards are annoying. One should be locked and the other used.
 Top of the page
=TX= King
=TX= King Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 11:35 PM
#
I just bought a WiFi CF card for my MP780...
And all I can say is that everything works great! Connection is always at 100%
If you want a card that is guaranteed to work on your handheld, get this one.
 Top of the page
guy
guy Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 1:01 AM
#
hi
I'm using an orinoco gold on a pencentra 200 (Fujitsu). It works great with the Compaq WL100 driver. The card is from Lucent, doesn't have an orinoco badge at all- just shiny metal. Got it on ebay. Anybody made an antenna for these cards?
Guy
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 7:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've seen compatible antennae on eBay, but not many. You'll probably have to look for a while before one comes up.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12