x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review (Flashback): Intermec 6651

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-05 2:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There are a couple of details I neglected to mention in the review.

First, I should point out that the Sharp backup/restore utility, in addition to being very fast, does the backup and restore process flawlessly. I've had a few difficulties with other backup/restore utilities on other H/PC 2000 and earlier devices (freezing up the device in the middle of backup or restore, backup files or parts thereof getting corrupted, etc), but I've never had anything close to a problem with backup/restore on the 6651.

Second, I should point out that display rotation on the Clio requires a soft reset after the steps mentioned in the review - thus broadening the contrast with the simplicity of the process on the 6651. (The upside on the Clio is that it also supports 90- and 270-degree rotation, which is not supported on the 6651. However, accessing these settings requires even more steps, as shown in the CESD tutorial here on screen rotation on the Clio. )
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2009-01-06 9:13 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I do now feel that we should stop talking about the device, and carry on talking about the review because that's what this thread is about.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2009-01-06 9:34 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

But the review is about the device...so if we stop talking about the device, what's the point of talking about the review?

See what I mean?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-01-06 9:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think he's referring to his own incitement of going off topic re Sharp.
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2009-01-06 12:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hurricane John - 2009-01-06 2:34 PM

But the review is about the device...so if we stop talking about the device, what's the point of talking about the review?

See what I mean?
Have you read the title yet? 'Review (Flashback): Intermec 6651'
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-06 4:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

. . . which is why I made my last post, pointing out other things I might have included there.

Yes, others are welcome to comment on the review itself if they wish.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-01-07 1:21 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Paspie - 2009-01-03 8:00 PM

I didn't actually know there was an Intermec Handheld PC, because most of the Handheld PC's I know are there came from 'The Worlds Largest PDA Database'. The Intermec 6651 is basically Intermec's clone of the Mobilon Pro PV-5000. Obviously Intermec allowed an upgrade to Handheld PC 2000, or as the version itself. It's just like when Ericsson made it's Handheld PC to work with a mobile phone, they borrowed the HP 300/320LX's shell, tweaked it a bit, then released it.

'The Worlds Largest PDA Database' is not the most reliable one. but I wish you had bothered to read my detailed description of the PV5000. (yes I know you finally realized you confused it with telios)

CE Geek - 2008-12-28 10:18 PM

You know I have an IZZI Pro, cmonex. You even helped me find a mouse driver for it.

am I supposed to remember everything?

Sounds like the JVC might be a good target of the next device review.

hint for me?
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-07 1:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2009-01-06 10:21 PM
CE Geek - 2008-12-28 10:18 PM

You know I have an IZZI Pro, cmonex. You even helped me find a mouse driver for it.

am I supposed to remember everything?

C'mon, cmonex, you know we all expect more from that brain of yours than anyone else's.

cmonex - 2009-01-06 10:21 PM

Sounds like the JVC might be a good target of the next device review.

hint for me?

Eh . . . could be.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-01-07 5:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Paspie - 2009-01-07 8:14 AM

Is there ANY Handheld PC database which also features pictures and plenty of data for the device? The HPC: Factor one here features none. At the moment, the WLPDADB features both, although they have removed the 'Browse Handheld PC based devices' section.
If you think that ours is missing data please by all means send it along to me and I'll get it updated.
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2009-01-07 6:07 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2009-01-07 10:44 AM

Paspie - 2009-01-07 8:14 AM

Is there ANY Handheld PC database which also features pictures and plenty of data for the device? The HPC: Factor one here features none. At the moment, the WLPDADB features both, although they have removed the 'Browse Handheld PC based devices' section.
If you think that ours is missing data please by all means send it along to me and I'll get it updated.
Ahh... I didn't mean data ... I meant images. It doesn't matter either way, I don't mind if there are no images in the HPC: Factor Handheld PC Specification ... whatever it's called, but it would be nice if it could.
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-01-07 8:50 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, regarding the quality of the review:

I appreciate the thoughtful updated review (or perhaps extensive user report) rather than those "professional" reviews after a cursory trial period (or even worse, reviewers that pore over spec sheets rather than testing the unit itself).

Of course, the level of professionalism should not be a surprise.

Regarding the subject of the review:

Nifty device that I've looked for periodically on e-bay. The prices and availability seem quite variable (or perhaps that's just the state of my disposal income ).

Edited by hmascience 2009-01-07 8:51 AM
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-17 2:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

hmascience - 2009-01-07 5:50 AM

Well, regarding the quality of the review:

I appreciate the thoughtful updated review (or perhaps extensive user report) rather than those "professional" reviews after a cursory trial period (or even worse, reviewers that pore over spec sheets rather than testing the unit itself).

Of course, the level of professionalism should not be a surprise.

That's a huge compliment. Thank you very much.

You're right about the price variability - that was true even a couple of years ago when I bought the one that was the target of the review.
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-02-25 11:40 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If a guy can't pull a thread containing an extremely well writtten and comprehensive review about his first, and argueably the best hpc ever made during the golden era, on his birthday no less, without incurring the wrath of the banhammer, or arraignment by the interwebz spelink poliz, handheld coputers and thier ilk should fail to exist...

It was fun reading this and reminicsing. My first 6651 was a private deal from a decent guy (never a member here) that went wrong.
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 6:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

In the UK, these things must be one of the rarest HPC's ever; over the last 2 years I have only seen two HC-7000's (Sharp's identical model) appear on eBay ... and I check eBay ALOT (every week).
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-02-28 2:35 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Even when they were "readily" available 2002-2006 or so it could take a long time finding the right one on ebay. months would pass without seeing one.
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9