x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Garry Platt
Garry Platt Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 6:20 AM
#
I notice on my modem connection via my Jornada 720 that there are a range of Baud rate connections ranging from 4800 through to 115200, the default appears to be 19200.

Am I best leaving it on 19200 or increasing it to 115200?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 6:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Garry,

You should increase this yes. Analog Modems will not go higher than 56,000, but that is much faster than 19,200 as per the default. It won't hurt to set it to 115,2000.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 2:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

In most cases the best choice is the highest rate (there might be some exceptions with poorly writen software). You must distinguish between modem's line rate (e.g. 33.6 kbps) and the serial-to-modem speed. If the second is higher the modem has a chance to do hardware compression what increases the overall speed. You can notice it transfering the text files (or browsing the Net) but there will usually be no effect on binary file transfer. My advice is: always set it to 115 k. If it works, you have done the right thing. You cannot overrun your modem (except....). But, on the other hand, you can underrun it by choosing lower rate!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 3:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

(except...)

Thats a good way to create tension, keep them hanging in suspence and frighten them to death
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9