x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sci-Fi Discussion in TV and Movies

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-01-02 3:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, it is that time of year again, and let's hope that this year will be full of great Sci-Fi TV programs and movies!!! We can discuss any of them here.

I am in the process of watching a Stargate Atlantis marathon that in on the SciFi channel at the moment, and my sister gave me the complete 2nd and third season of Kyle XY on DVD this Christmas. I have not seen Kyle XY in a long time, and am looking forward to seeing them. Other than that, I rented Hell Boy II. We will see how that turns out...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-03-07 8:59 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Here's the new Star Trek trailer:
http://movies.apple.com/movies/paramount/star_trek/startrek-tlr3_h6...

High def, 23 MB. Loving the music, I'm ttrying to find out what it is.

Edit: It seems that it's by Michael Giacchino.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-05-12 10:21 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was able to go on a quick vacation this weekend to celebrate my graduation from my University, and our one year wedding anniversary.

Because of those two facts, I was able to talk my wife into going to see the new Star Trek movie. Let me start off by saying that you should not worry about the movie staying with the Canon. It did not matter. It was a great movie that was IMHO great acting, great graphics, and great action. My wife even "Really Liked" the movie...

Any one else see it yet?

I also saw the trailers for Terminator, GI Joe, and Transformers... We will see if I get to see any of those with my wife...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-05-12 11:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm going to go see it Thursday...can't wait. Ever since Battlestar Galactica ended, I've been suffering from sci-fi withdrawal...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-05-13 9:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have seen it!

Nemoy gets to do "STFF" for the second time.

There are lots of omages to earlier films

The Enterprise has become monolithic

Didn't like the product placement (Nokia anyone?)

It's very different from what we're used to, it is very battlestar galactica trek, not that it's necessarily bad, it just makes it more rough around the edges and steps away from the Roddenberry legacy a bit.

Although I've never seen it, I can imagine now why I've heard a few "Star trek 90210" comments, it's a bit youthful and spy-kidsy (I haven't seen that either).

As far as canon goes, I choose to treat the plot events like "enterprise"; never happened.

Having said all of that, I liked it. It's a beautiful cgi film, it's well acted, it picks up on things that we've not seen on screen before but always new. The direction is good, the sound track... little weak and didn't use the 'life is but a dream' overture (boo).
Thge story is reasonable as well - but it does help to have read the pre-release comic that they put out a couple of months ago as it puts things into a nice perspective.

So if we ignore everything about the reprocussions of the plot, the loose ends and the fact that it couldn't have actually happened; good film

I will get it when it arrives on DVD.

All personal views, of course.
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2009-05-13 2:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

saw the new star trek last night. it freakin rocks! might have to actually pony up for the blue ray when it's out. really looking fwd to District 9 anybody have any thoughts on that one? I'm really hoping the new Transformers is better than the last, not sure about the new terminator and the GI JOE. But i gotta see GI JOE since Christopher Eccleston is in it. :-)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-13 4:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've never been a big fan of the idea of doing remakes with a totally new cast (they were smart enough to bring back the original TV cast in the first ST movie series starting in '79 - I still remember seeing the first "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" at Grauman's [Mann's at the time] Chinese Theatre back then), but I have to admit that, when I saw the trailer for the current release, my first reaction was that the actress playing Uhura is pretty hot. (I'm such a dirty old man.)

Nothing can touch that old Jerry Goldsmith musical score, though. (Got some audio tracks - and video clips - on a few of my CE devices. )
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2009-05-13 6:30 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

From a gal who had a major crush on Spock when I was 9 years old, I have to say I loved this movie. I did NOT expect to be able to tolerate the recasting, but it really didn't bug me (maybe Kirk, a little). To me, the characterizations were sort of "Star Trek Unleashed", what these folks would have been like as young adults, brash and enthusiastic and a bit over the top. Of course, you can't overthink the time-line, or the plot. But it was a thoroughly enjoyable romp as it was, IMHO.
 Top of the page
KimChee Page Icon Posted 2009-05-13 9:51 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Havent seen the New Trek film yet, Im more into Doctor Who, having trouble catching the 11th Doctor though since Im here in the States
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-05-23 12:53 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I am sad. I found out today that Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles has been canceled. Why do they keep getting rid of quality SciFi shows???

Edited by Yoldering 2009-05-23 1:02 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-05-23 3:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Low ratings and economics?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-23 3:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I always liked "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" the best because it was the most "human" story of the series. (A few sound effects from that movie are included in the homemade sound scheme I made for my Sig 3. )
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2009-05-26 2:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

not a 2009 release but i rented a movie that was way better than i thought it would be, it's called Outlander. Two words: Aliens and Vikings. nuff said.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-05-26 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I saw the new Terminator movie last night... Was pretty good. Great action, and it had great effects. It looks like there are going to be a bunch of new SciFi movies released this summer.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-05-26 9:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I just hate trying to explain time travel to someone who does not understand scifi.
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.304 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11