x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sci-Fi Discussion in TV and Movies

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2009-05-26 10:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Not exactly Sci-Fi, but it was the brainchild of Joss Whedon (of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Firefly/Serenity" fame). A story of an up-and-coming evil scientist, whose ambitions are to rule the world, join the Evil League of Evil, and start a conversation with the cute girl at the Laundromat. And to top it all off, it's a musical!

http://www.drhorrible.com

(Apparently this was the internet sensation of last summer - I'm a bit slow with these things. Dunno if Hulu is available to people outside the USA or not, though.)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-05-27 5:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ah yes, the guys at work 'educated' me on that one last year. It had its charms if you like musicals.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-08-13 8:18 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

There is a new Stargate series coming to the SyFi network soon. Stargate Universe... http://stargate.mgm.com/
We will see how this show stacks up...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-08-13 8:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Trailer doesn't look to bad at all. Conceptually not exactly original, but it's bringing BSG grit with a star gate twist.

I shall pass judgement in 2012 when a non-pay per view broadcaster gets rights to its first series in the UK 9_9 lol
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-08-13 11:59 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It is weird for me to read SyFi instead of SciFi Channel. I was wondering what show the commercial reminded me of... BSG of course.

Edited by Yoldering 2009-08-13 11:59 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-08-13 1:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. EST, I will be in the theater watching Section 9...that promises to be the movie of the summer for me...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2009-08-25 2:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Why is everyone referring to BSG when it's so much more like Voyager. BSG = where we are going? Voyager = are we there yet? SGU... I don't know, it sounds like they know where they are going they just don't know where they are... whatever that means

I saw District 9 as well. It was fun...

... but I kept thinking about The Fly (the Jeff Goldblum one) Sorry.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-08-25 3:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm not sure I like the movies as much when they are presented as a documentary...I mean the first time I saw that approach, fine...it was innovative, but now it is just boring. Nice analogy to The Fly...I can see the similarities of the aliens slurping down the catfood. The movie certainly epitomizes man's inhumanity to man, or in this case, alien.

Also, I kept hoping the measly little main character would get eaten up by the aliens at first...and even till the very end I hated him...

BTW, the sex was much better on BSG!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 8:44 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I watched Logan's Run last night. It was the first time I had seen it in about 20 something years. I have not been able to finish it yet because we had to leave to go to the store... It is just as good now as it was then. I have not wanted to watch it again because I thought I would be disappointed... I was wrong... Great movie!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 2:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Great flick....I remember when it came out at the theater, there was some kid in the back that started yelling "bush bush" when they started stripping down in the ice cave. That scene was removed when it came out on VHS...

Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, I did not remember that when I saw it... That seen is in the DVD release!!! I saw another movie last week that was very simular to Logan's Run. It was THX 1138, the Lucas movie that was made prior to Logan's Run. Another good movie. Other movies more recently are the Island. I kept wondering when they were/are going to remake this film. I just did a search and found that they might...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402344/

However, I am getting sick of all of the remakes!!!

Edited by Yoldering 2009-09-04 3:28 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 4:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Some remakes really suck...last week I watched Planet of the Apes and the stupid remake and ending....ugh...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 4:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No one could really touch the original "Planet of the Apes."
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2009-09-05 12:46 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2009-09-04 4:35 PM

Some remakes really suck...last week I watched Planet of the Apes and the stupid remake and ending....ugh...

Actually, the ending of the remake was adapted directly from the ending of the original novel (which the movies are very loosely based on). In the novel, the astronaut returns to Earth in his ship, only to find it now run by intelligent apes.

I didn't think it was horrible, but yes I prefer the original movies myself.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-01-01 5:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

So, this evening herelded the end of David Tennant as the legendary Dr. Who, and Timothy Dalton, along with most of the major cast from the series 2005 reboot came to the send-off party.

There were a few twists and turns in there, and a rather unexpected mention of Rassilon himself.

I shan't go into too much detail for those who will have to wait a couple of months to see the special aired elsewhere, however I do feel that there have been a couple of missed opportunities in the writing to explore some very deep and thought provoking story lines/arks at the expense of 'specials' and the staff change over to the new writing team and cast. For example the 'no consequences' Doctor at the end of the waters of Mars, and the time lord relative insanity in the end of time.

Despite this, it was good escapism, and I will miss David Tennant, he has a particular style that I respect and is a true gentleman.

But I do have one lingering question, as posed by Wilf (Bernard Cribbins): "Who is the woman?"

Mother, Susan, Romana?
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9