x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sci-Fi Discussion in TV and Movies

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-04-29 12:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I've watched Matrix Resurrections back in December in a local movie theater, and because I liked it from a geeky perspective, I bought a Blu-ray / DVD set recently.

I enjoyed watching the making of the film.
The concept of the film is quite different from the trilogy, so its opinions on it are split, but I liked it.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2022-04-29 12:58 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-29 7:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

torch - 2022-04-28 6:52 PM

I need to give Expanse a try once I finish the other ones in my list.
What did you think of Caprica? I liked it. It really got good towards the end. It was a slow burner but it grew on me.
I haven’t watched Picard or Discovery at all yet. I’m a bad Star Trek fan.
Caprica was okay, it felt a bit disjointed though. It may have been finding its feet, but it was no BSG.

Picard is passable, but I have some issues with silly writing that targets nostalgic fandom instead of concentrating on the story that they want to tell. I also think that some of the messaging that they're playing with is flying too close to the sun. Discovery on the other hand is a complete disaster. I find it highly unenjoyable, consistently frustrating and is focused on an agenda and not science fiction. Like with Enterprise, I choose to ignore it.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-05-01 5:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I do need to watch Matrix Resurrections. But I probably should watch the original trilogy first, since it’s probably been 15 years since I’ve seen them. I hardly remember lol.

Also, about Star Trek. I see your point about the agenda. I haven’t watched that much Discovery but it seems they love their round table circular science logic discussions with the ensemble. It doesn’t feel as organic as TNG/DS9 era shows.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-02 8:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I can't actually bring myself to finish discovery series 3. It's been sitting there with 3 episodes left to watch for weeks and weeks, if not months at this point and I've no heart or motivation to finish it. I have only 'watched' the previous 6 episodes half heatedly while doing something else and not paying much attention and I've still managed to die inside after each one.

My cynic theory for Picard series 3:
Patrick Stewart does a Harrison Ford and only agrees to series 3 on the condition the character is killed off. The TNG cast reunite one last time in the last episode to attend his funeral
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2022-05-02 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Howdy all! long time no talk. Can't really catch up on all of the Sci-Fi, but I figured I would share some of the recent shows movies I have enjoyed. I watched the Moon Knight episodes so far. Great acting and good story. I have watched a couple of the Halo episodes. Pretty good. I enjoyed the new Batman (Not really a typical Batman movie) I liked some of what the Spiderman movie did in tying all three franchises together. The show Titans is okay. Struggle to finish the current season. I have enjoyed all of the new Star Wars TV episodes... That is all I can think of for now... Talk to you soon!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-05-02 5:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Don't know much about sci-fi series, but I did check out a very low-budget, very intriguing movie, The Vast of Night on Amazon. Set in the 50s, the biggest part of the film's budget was the 20K USD to re-paint the high school gym and remove the 3-point line for period authenticity.

I hated the last two minutes but until then I was in thrall.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-05-03 9:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jake - 2022-05-03 2:00 AM

Don't know much about sci-fi series, but I did check out a very low-budget, very intriguing movie, The Vast of Night on Amazon. Set in the 50s, the biggest part of the film's budget was the 20K USD to re-paint the high school gym and remove the 3-point line for period authenticity.

Jake

Oh yes, this movie, I also watched it in Amazon. I liked the "tape recorder aspect" of it.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-05-03 4:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The acting was great. Spoiler Alert: what did you think of the ending?

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-05-04 12:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jake - 2022-05-04 1:57 AM

The acting was great. Spoiler Alert: what did you think of the ending?

Jake

My thoughts...
Show spoiler...

I just rewatched the ending since I watched it a while ago, but yes... Were they kidnapped by aliens? And what happens to the tape reel? Seems very intriguing. They will have a sequel soon?

https://thecinemaholic.com/vast-of-night-sequel/

Kinda reminded me of some of the X Files series. haha

Edited by stingraze 2022-05-04 12:03 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-05-04 8:43 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Show spoiler...
I thought the ending was unthoughtful. First off, their decision to escape with the baby (a baby mostly forgotten throughout the film) was too easy, heart-strings-wise. Second, the film, at least for me, was trying to be original, so having the couple/baby either killed or taken away by aliens after a silly, hopeless chase wasn't original at all. Maybe you could START the film with that, with throwaway actors, but to have such an interesting idea devolve into capture-and-kill made me feel that the director didn't know what to do with the ending, esp since there was no budget to show the aliens, etc (thank god for that )
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-05-05 12:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Show spoiler...
haha, aliens with low budget tends to look like the Roswell one in most movies. I guess it can’t deviate that much from the “normal “ alien look with big eyes. I thought the 3D rendering of the spaceship was pretty good though.

Edited by stingraze 2022-05-05 12:34 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-05-05 4:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Show spoiler...
Now that you say it, I see the X-filian connection, except w/o gore or grossness that X-files sometimes used. I guess my true issue w/ the ending is it went visual, rather than audio. Audio was the theme of the movie, as you aptly point out with the tape recorder example. Not to mention the radio station/telephone board
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-05-13 5:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2022-05-02 12:25 AM

I can't actually bring myself to finish discovery series 3. It's been sitting there with 3 episodes left to watch for weeks and weeks, if not months at this point and I've no heart or motivation to finish it. I have only 'watched' the previous 6 episodes half heatedly while doing something else and not paying much attention and I've still managed to die inside after each one.

My cynic theory for Picard series 3:
Patrick Stewart does a Harrison Ford and only agrees to series 3 on the condition the character is killed off. The TNG cast reunite one last time in the last episode to attend his funeral

I don't know, it's weird, I am a Star Trek fan, but I just feel 'meh' when I've seen it. I probably should give it a proper chance instead of just watching my mom watch it mid-way through

Yoldering - 2022-05-02 7:57 AM

Howdy all! long time no talk. Can't really catch up on all of the Sci-Fi, but I figured I would share some of the recent shows movies I have enjoyed. I watched the Moon Knight episodes so far. Great acting and good story. I have watched a couple of the Halo episodes. Pretty good. I enjoyed the new Batman (Not really a typical Batman movie) I liked some of what the Spiderman movie did in tying all three franchises together. The show Titans is okay. Struggle to finish the current season. I have enjoyed all of the new Star Wars TV episodes... That is all I can think of for now... Talk to you soon!

Yoldering! Good hearing from you too! My mom was watching the Halo series, it looks really good. I hadn't seen the Spider-man movies, save the most recent and I really liked it!

Jake - 2022-05-02 9:00 AM

Jake

My mom likes stuff like that and we do have Amazon, it sounds very intriguing for sure!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-16 11:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

So, Strange New Worlds. Watched 101 last night...

Show spoiler...
So yes, lots of baiting nostalgia... but...

I really don't like the hangovers from the nonsense in Discovery. Especially the fact that he knows his own fate.

A fair bit of wokeness going on, all be it softer than in Discovery, which also gets a :humm: from me.

Over all though, the episode seemed rushed. As if it tripped over itself to get to the end. Starting off with a Prime Directive violation and overlooking the consequences of that... assuming that everyone will be okay with aliens suddenly appearing and threatening their governments because of love... Massively misses the opportunity for some social exploration. The idea that aliens reverse engineered warp drive from looking at a space battle through a telescope... umm.... No. That would be like the ancient Egyptians getting a wide angle satellite photo of a nuclear reactor plant facility and reverse engineering fission.

The other side is going to find out that they created a "ward drive bomb" and were planning on using. That'll go down well and certainly won't start an arms race. Why is it a warp drive bomb? Surely it is an anti-matter bomb?
Seems like a problematic way to get them up and running.

Finally, they played the card that I expected Picard to do. I was waiting for Picard to correlate the US 2024 election with the collapse of civilisation and the emergence of the alternate time line. They didn't... because they saved it to use it here. This is not the place for this type of thing. We come to sci fi to escape this sort of thing, not litter TV shows with the explicit taking of sides. 80's and 90's Star Trek did this, sure. But it was subtle. Indirect. Thoughtful.

So over all, based on 101. It's getting a thumbs down. Cast were good; I like Pike, like hyperactive Ninja Nurse Chappel. The new security chief seems interesting, despite the needless name association. I do not think there was any need to put a Kirk in it - they take this nostalgia stuff too far and wind up writing it like these people are somehow destined to be intertwined together for all time *cue rainbows and unicorns and endless sunny days*
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 3:12 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I finally sat down and watched all of the lugubrious Blade Runner 2049. My god, that thing needed an editor, starting with excising all of H Ford and ending with a cut of at least 60 mins. Which would've excised Ford Loved the first one (except its director's cut), 2049 visually spectacular, and after The Believer, I've become an odd fan of R Gosling, but it was 2 hours and 47 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8