x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sci-Fi Discussion in TV and Movies

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 9:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jake,

What was it that you didn't like, specifically?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 5:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Jake - 2022-05-16 7:12 PM

I finally sat down and watched all of the lugubrious Blade Runner 2049. My god, that thing needed an editor, starting with excising all of H Ford and ending with a cut of at least 60 mins. Which would've excised Ford Loved the first one (except its director's cut), 2049 visually spectacular, and after The Believer, I've become an odd fan of R Gosling, but it was 2 hours and 47 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Jake

Here's my thoughts on Blade Runner 2049.
The cinematography is absolutely stunning. Literally, every single frame of the film you could probably frame on your wall. But yes, I agree with you on the editing. I feel like every shot was way too long. I think the film would have been perfect with about one hour deleted at least. I think it's a shame that 2-3 hour movies are the norm. I think sometimes, less is more. For instance, my favorite Hong Kong director from the 1990s prided himself on movies around 90 minutes. I wish sometimes more movies strove for that as a goal (obviously not chopping up the movie and deleting too much stuff)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 6:27 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Chris, I felt H Ford's presence didn't justify the time spent on it. Clearly, he had clout with the script and wasn't going to settle for a cameo. Secondly, I thought the ultimately simple plot, no matter how they tried to complicate it, also didn't justify 2 hours and 47 minutes.

It was clever to have an android hunt androids, and Gosling's mistaken sense of self was intriguing as well, though far too drawn out. For me, the absence of well-rounded bad guys was another problem. In BR 1, R Hauer was a scary badass, but the film ends with a lot of sympathy for him. In this one, the bad guys are pretty one-dimensional, so any tension devolves into increasingly pointless chases (eg that silly sinking plane).

I agree with torch--it's a beautiful film (and its beauty, had I seen it on the big screen, might've overcome my misgivings about plot vs length) but I found it so ponderous despite its remarkable structure.

Have you seen The Believer? That's R Gosling's tour de force. Despite some questionable choice of roles (eg La La Land), that guy can act.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-05-21 8:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Just watched season 3 of Love, Death, and Robots on Netflix...excellent...especially "Night of the Mini Dead."
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-25 3:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thoughts?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-07-25 5:44 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I kept feeling as if the characters were all trying out for slots on Jeopardy. I just finished Outer Range on Prime, Wyoming Sci-Fi. Well-acted, interesting ideas, but perhaps too lethargic in some sections while too rushed in others. A big kicker at the end, but I'm not convinced the writers set it up properly.

Anybody else seen Outer Range?

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-25 5:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Never heard of it
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-07-25 6:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It's on Prime, came out earlier this year. Josh Broslin and Lily Taylor star, you can't beat that.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-07-25 6:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Also just started Severance on Apple. Very bleak, very strange Sci-Fi about the future of the workplace.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-07-26 2:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jake - 2022-07-26 3:04 AM

Also just started Severance on Apple. Very bleak, very strange Sci-Fi about the future of the workplace.

Jake

Oh, I know that one. I haven't watched it, but looks kinda dark to me...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-09 1:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-17 5:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Show spoiler...
I'm not feeling it

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-09-18 12:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Quantum Leap looks very fun. I wonder when it will come out in Japan. I like the whole tech / science aspect that can be seen from the trailer.

Show spoiler...
Different opinions

Edited by stingraze 2022-09-18 12:56 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-18 12:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@stingraze, it's more a feeling that - from the trailer - there isn't anything new there. From the trailer, it doesn't look like it is adding anything other than making it politically correct for 2022. No mention of the original series or trying to save 'Sam'. The absence of this info from the trailer suggests they are doing their own thing. From Wikipedia though, it looks like a reboot that is picking up on the original as a continuation... but you wouldn't know that from here. The fact that Scott Bakula has passed on it, even though it is a "6th series"...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-09-19 1:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

@C:Amie,
Ah... I used to like SF a lot, and I still do but haven't watched enough new ones recently.
I didn't know Quantum Leap had continuation. Thought it was the first season, lol.

I recently watched the movie Arrival part way, but it wasn't very exciting. I get confused with other similar ones. haha

Edited by stingraze 2022-09-19 1:25 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8